Looking for Opinions of Carrara Training Vids

BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi guys 'n gals,

I saw the Carrara 8.5 Tutorial videos in the Fastgrab section of the store this morning and was wondering whether you have used it and whether you think it's as good as it looks.

http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-tutorial-video-11-5-hours-long-instant-digital-download

There's a lot about Carrara that baffles me and was hoping these might help unbaffle me!

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

My opinion.

I am a huge fan of the Infinite Skills training videos by PhilW. Too many people think of Carrara as just an alternative to (a) assembling premade assets in Daz Studio and (b) vertex modeling in Hexagon. They then complain that Carrara does not texture things the same way as Studio nor does it have all of the modeling tools of Hexagon. But Carrara is so much more than assembling premade objects and usng a vertex modeler. PhiW explains and demonstrates many features that Studio and Hexagon do not have. Unfortunately, too many purchasers of Carrara remain unaware of what it can do because they were just never introduced to the features.

Note - there was originally a Carrara 8 training video, for Carrara 8, then Daz updated to 8.5. Therefore, there are 2 Carrara 8.5 training videos. One is just an add-on for those that already have the Carrara 8 training video. The other includes both the original Carrara 8 material and the supplemental 8.5 materials. Make sure that you get the one that includes both 8 and 8.5.

By the way, love your signature line about metaballs.

I am also a fan of the vertex modeling tutorial by Mike Moir and the VTC training videos by Mark Bremmer, but those other vids do not appear to be on sale today. If you remain interested, keep a watch out on sales for those.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

+1

PhilW's tutorials are excellent. But as Diomede said, the "cheap" 8.5 video is just the extra material to bring the old Carrara 8 video up to date.

BTW, if you go to the Infinite Skills site, you'll find some free extracts from the course that you can watch - http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/learning-carrara-8-5.html

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Have decided to get this one since it's such a good price.

To me, Carrara isn't a replacement for anything, it's a full package to create in. I love the nature creation, the landscaping, environment stuff, everything, and the shaders are fantastic. I just don't know it anywhere near as well as I want to. Same can be said for all my software really, but I have a special love of Carrara.

Thanks again.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Also, if anyone else is planning to get this, don't forget that if you're a member of PC+ you can save $6 on it by entering the valid coupon code. I almost forgot!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

It's not for me to say how good they are, but I hope you enjoy them and get a lot out of them!