Stupid Shader Tricks 3: DCG's Terrain Tools

MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Vue has a pretty cool little feature where you can make plants grown close to other objects or thin out in shady areas.

If you have Digital Carver's Guild Terrain Tools, you can do the same thing in Carrara with the Intersect Shader feature and the Surface Replicator.

The uses are pretty vast, dropping fruit under trees, adding garbage next to buildings, gathering crowds around objects, etc. The nice thing is, you can also hide the object that creates the intersection – so having people all gather like a crowd around a podium means you could simply drop a cylinder into the scene, designate it as one of the intersect objects, then un-check the visibility and magically, a gathered crowd.

The best part? You can move any of the objects around and simply click "shuffle" in the Surface Replicator and everything reorients to the new location

Pretty fun.

2015-06-05_17-01-39.png
764 x 520 - 70K
cones.jpg
1280 x 720 - 210K
Plants.jpg
1280 x 720 - 222K
Post edited by MarkBremmer on

Comments

• Eric WinemillerEric Winemiller Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Awesome stuff Mark!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2015

I need to do a render soon which will have a beach fairly close to the viewer with small surf and am in two minds as to whether I should just texture the waves by hand and model the greenback parts or get this plug in.

Unfortunately the evaluation copy times out after one spot render ..... so I can't really tell whether it will do the job for what I want .

Advice welcome ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

I purchased a license for the plugin back in march, for a project I was going to do, but never started the project lol.

I need to install and have a play.

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

@headwax, I've had nice results using Terrain Tools for up-close surf images. (calm surf that is)

There are some really cool ways to blend photo or procedural textures together. I'll see if I can dig one up.

One thing to note, the surf effect using the intersect function, is ubiquitous. By that I mean that it circles the intersected object 100% so effects like wind or directional waves do not have more surf on one side than another.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited June 2015

I'm not sure I understand which object exactly you choose to intersect. Just like your first pic, I have clumps of grass in a surface replicator. I would like them to be gathered around the tree. So I guess I would have to make the grass clumps intersect with the tree. But where exactly, in the shader tree, do I use the "Intersect" function from DCG?

Intersect.png
    640 x 360 - 306K
    Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

@ headwax, I quick made a sample during a coffee break. I don' know if this is the type of look you have in mind.

@ Argus1000, in the Surface Replicator interface, you'll need to check the "Use Shader" option and then build the intersect similar to the image I posted earlier in this thread.

surf.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 89K
    2015-06-08_11-41-14.png
    495 x 507 - 75K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Some great uses for this plugin, I am very tempted!

edited December 1969

@ headwax, I quick made a sample during a coffee break. I don' know if this is the type of look you have in mind.

@ Argus1000, in the Surface Replicator interface, you'll need to check the "Use Shader" option and then build the intersect similar to the image I posted earlier in this thread.

thanks Mark, that looks superb, appreciate you doing that!

I like to support Carrara plugin makers as much as possible, so normally I just would have bought it but the cost at the moment is 42 aus dollars - I didn't know our dollar was so low!

thanks again !

cheers

edited December 1969

head wax said:

thanks Mark, that looks superb, appreciate you doing that!

I like to support Carrara plugin makers as much as possible, so normally I just would have bought it but the cost at the moment is 42 aus dollars - I didn't know our dollar was so low!

thanks again !

cheers

I don't ever remember them going on sale - but perhaps now would be a good time!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Looking at the ocean intersecting with the shore line and generating a foam look, I wonder how it would work in conjunction with the Ocean primitive and other procedural functions such as the elevation/snow?

edited June 2015

@ Evilproducer, You'd have to animate both the ocean primitive and the Surf noise configuration. There is a DCG item called EnhanceC which has animatable water effects. That said, you can also animate cellular noise functions too with the seed. It would take a little play time to get things right I think since Carrara doesn't actually have a fluid solver.

The snow primitive is very cool. The Terrain shader is even better. If you haven't played with the Terrain Shader, and can't sleep tonight, play with the shader. It's absolutely awesome. Changing snow across a terrain and making it stick to one side of an object but not another is completely possible. Apologies if you don't get any sleep tonight. :D

The attached image is just me playing around instead of going to bed, which is where I'm going now.

winterSurf2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 86K
    edited December 1969

now that's very 'cool' Mark ;)

edited December 1969

Okay. I made a distribution map and the grass clumps now cluster around the tree. By the way, it's thanks to your tutorials on Carrara 7 that I learned how to make that map. But I still don't have the grass clumps intersect with the tree. I just don't know how to apply that function. Is it to the grass clusters? And, if so, in what place exactly in the shader tree?

Clusters.png
    640 x 360 - 292K
    edited June 2015

@ Argus1000, Thanks for the props on the C7 tutorial! Much of Carrara is still the same as in v7 - it's just faster now.

I suspect that you still have a distance setting greater than .1 or 0 in the "Minimum distance between objects and/or the Objects try to cluster > "Average distance between objects" in the Replicator. Adjust those and also experiment with the distribution precision settings. You may want to also expand the range of the intersect effect to something like 8 ft/3m or something just to see how it effects the scene. It's always a process of adjustment.

As an aside for organic objects, it's also a good idea to set the random rotation of the replicated objects to 360 degrees on the Z axis to hide the fact that there are many of the same thing. I'll usually put in 4 or 5 objects to further break things up.

**Additionally, for any given object you have multiple surface replicators applied to it, each with a different distribution map.

When I was doing Beta testing with the replicators for the Carrara team in 2006, the below attached image is one of the landscapes done with distribution map tricks. The terrain had 3 replicators attached to it: one for the trees and two for the vegetation.

dew.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 100K
    edited December 1969

You may want to also expand the range of the intersect effect to something like 8 ft/3m or something just to see how it effects the scene. It's always a process of adjustment.

Thanks, Mark, fort the precious tips. What I was asking you, more precisely, is where exactly do you use the intersect function in the shader tree? Here's the shader tree for my glass clumps.
    Intersect.PNG
    655 x 471 - 107K
    edited December 1969

@ Argus1000, Ah, got it now.

Scroll up to the very top post in this thread and look at the interface screen grab. For the Distribution map, you use the Intersect function within a Mixer branch/node as the blender. You blend a white color (things replicate where there is white) and a black color. The Noise ability is to create better organic blending between the two colors which results in an irregular edge/termination for the placed objects.

edited December 1969

I suspect that there is some confusion here - you are using the intersection of the tree with the ground to produce the distribution map for the grass clumps.

Mark - lovely image! I always think that this type of landscape image is woefully under-represented in Carrara, and yet it is very capable of producing them.

edited June 2015

I am very confused here. I have been able to produce a cluster of grass clumps around a tree using a black-and-white distribution map made with the paint tool. (See pic) But I knew how to do that before. I didn't have to use Digital Carvers Guild Intersect plugin to do that.

Clusters.png
    640 x 360 - 317K
    Post edited by argus1000 on