i no haz nvidia

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited June 2015 in The Commons

amd dual core, 4gb ram, (dunno) onboard chipset.

subtract 1 from base for new store products sales :(

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

you can use Iray w/o the Nvida card, just don't expect any speed close to 3Delight for a finished product. The quality will be as good as anything else your seeing on these forums it will just take longer to get there.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

As a consolation, a lot of other unbiased renderers take WAY longer.

Also, if you were using Uberenvironment and meshlights in 3delight, those take a long time, too.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,400
    edited December 1969

I'm surprised DS even runs on that small a system let alone iray. If you are going to use iray with a duel core you won't be able to do anything on the computer while it renders. I'm not even sure how its going to do. I have a old laptop that has a quad core with 8gb ram but has an intel onboard but don't support OpenGL so it won't even open DS

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited June 2015

I think you should take another look at system specs. Intel on board graphics seems quite odd on a motherboard for a AMD processor.

Learn how to adjust the materials and it doesn't matter that they are Iray presets or not. Frankly I have never applied a material preset that I haven't had to adjust to my liking.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

rendering to image (in DS4.6) is a lot faster than watching the buckets in the window. the openGl is prolly for the preview window?
    i'm using mostly the aoa advanced lights. advanced ambient is my friend.

I'm missing the thrill of new store items. during mm i was jumping awake at 3am my locale to see the new shiny.
    Darius and Monique were so exciting, it's like daz pulled a crazy ivan on me.

c'est la vie

edited June 2015

i don't have separate graphic card, it's built in to the motherboard. don't know what the exact chips are.

using the poser made stuff in DS, would have to twiddle the bump, hightlight settings.

but i have a lot of duf stuff now, and using mostly duf in ds. i put my faith the vendors did the best they could with ds shaders. :)

do most of my shader twiddling in carrara these days.

a silkessence for carrara would be lovely. :lol:

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

Iray was built to sell Nvidia graphic cards, while it's a powerful engine it really is very picky about what it wants to work with especially if the hardware was older CUDA or not. It's very rare or complicated or both to see someone developing software for older technology especially when it comes to computer graphics. All that aside the developers of Reality and LuxRender have been trying to develop software that can take advantage of older hardware CPU's AMD or Intel to speed up renders. It's probably done with some loss to quality but Lux is maybe overly exact to a fault, it is a more precise rendering engine than Iray when it comes to how light and reflection work in the real world so cutting back on that might give it a little or a lot of speed boost, but these have not been publicly available at this time,
    Also many of the advances in the tools of graphic development appear to be in a state of change for both Apple and Microsoft, if these tools replace older tools such as OpenCL and OpenGL then older Hardware may no longer be able to utilize their strengths.

you have an old (or inadequate for what you want to do) computer, so do I. If you want to run with the big dogs you need a new dog, or new computer, or new computerized dog hybrid.
    "Render this image for me!"
    "Woof!"
    "Good dog!"

edited December 1969

well, i guess it'll come down to the biz of supply & demand.
    if the Nvidia base are the majority, the cheap computers the subset.
    if per sales go down, guessing the avg price of stuff will go up.
    we'll see more bikinis :)

meanwhile, space pirates will go nekkie. :lol:

edited December 1969

the sad part is right now price vs power the ATI/AMD cards tend to outperform the Nvidia cards on the same tier but Nvidia is not going to write any software to help them out.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited June 2015

Faster lux is coming soon im waiting to see what that does 1st... Meanwhile I have 2 powerful machines so I render on both allowing me to create my stories...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Faster lux is coming soon im waiting to see what that does 1st...

'Soon' as in Daz soon its been talked about for months now, but still little sign of it actually happening.

edited June 2015

Bobvan said:
    Faster lux is coming soon im waiting to see what that does 1st...

'Soon' as in Daz soon its been talked about for months now, but still little sign of it actually happening.

Actually its in the works as we speak. I have a new powerful laptop with a 980M nvidia card and I cant render a scene with 6 characters in iray....

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Its been in the works for months I saw a post where it was said it was going to the beta testers months ago now I see recent posts saying its about to go to the beta testers.
    Reality 4 is a real pain especially compared to Iray whether CPU rendering or GPU, it was such a mess when it was released I don't even have it installed, I might consider it if this speed increase ever actually happens.

edited June 2015

Fair enough I don't have a problem working with it and getting great results but yes sadly times have increased. I like the options iray lack such as lighting adjustments film response queue rendering refine brush. Something else I started playing with for the 1st time in a long time, 3DL using ipr. I notice that I can get decent renders really fast with UE since ipr seems to "bypass" the whole hair gobbling up time thingy.. In either case iray will always be there if things don't change..

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

the sad part is right now price vs power the ATI/AMD cards tend to outperform the Nvidia cards on the same tier but Nvidia is not going to write any software to help them out.

found win7 device manager. :lol:
    my home compy haz ATI Radeon 3000. is that good?
    can't find where it would say the video memory.

running out of hard drive >.<</p>

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I bought a retina iMac last fall and I wasn't offered an nVidia option...only Radeon. Actually, there are only a couple of Macs that are being sold right now with nvidia chips in them--the mac book pros, I think. The rest are ATI or intel graphics chips. I really wanted to grab Nikisatez's newest scene, but when I saw that it didn't come with regular shaders, I decided not to bother.

Right now, it just isn't worth the time it takes to do a decent render in iRay, so I am ignoring it.

I'm looking forward to the reality upgrade. Maybe it will make the more realistic renders more palatable.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    edited June 2015

Also, if you were using Uberenvironment and meshlights in 3delight, those take a long time, too.

...throw in a few frames of motion blur, start the render, and then go away for the weekend.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Faster lux is coming soon im waiting to see what that does 1st... Meanwhile I have 2 powerful machines so I render on both allowing me to create my stories...

...only if you have a newer i7 CPU. Older ones (Nehalem and Bloomfield), don't have API support which is needed for the speed boost.
    edited June 2015

Its been in the works for months I saw a post where it was said it was going to the beta testers months ago now I see recent posts saying its about to go to the beta testers.
    Reality 4 is a real pain especially compared to Iray whether CPU rendering or GPU, it was such a mess when it was released I don't even have it installed, I might consider it if this speed increase ever actually happens.

...I uninstalled it after the second patch kept messing up my render camera assignments and I still had to jump through hoops to get surfaces to show up in the Materials tab for older scenes. Too much frustration and glacially long render times.

Iray may not be as "exacting" but it still does one heck of a spot on job, with a lot less frustration, and in a shorter amount of time (even using just the CPU and physical memory).

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited June 2015

No Nvidia card here either:

AMD FX6350 Hexcore
    16Gb ram
    Radeon R7 2Gb

Yet it performs remarkably well with Iray.
    The lightsabers are the only sources of light in this render.

Ahsoka_2.png
    1470 x 910 - 2M
    Post edited by scatha on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited December 1969

found win7 device manager. :lol:
    my home compy haz ATI Radeon 3000. is that good?
    can't find where it would say the video memory.

running out of hard drive >.<</div>

ATI Radeon will not work with Iray. :-(
    But if you can render 3Delight (or Lux) with your CPU, you will be able to render Iray on that machine, too.
    If you already have installed 4.8 (you could try the Beta version if you do not want to upgrade), I'd just give Iray it a try using a small scene, you can see how long it renders on your PC.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Bobvan said:
    ...only if you have a newer i7 CPU. Older ones (Nehalem and Bloomfield), don't have API support which is needed for the speed boost.

How new is newer?

My iMac is late 2012 27" and the spec says:

The iMac "Core i7" 3.4 27-Inch Aluminum (Late 2012) features a 22 nm Quad Core 3.4 GHz Intel "Core i7" I7-3770 (Ivy Bridge) processor with four independent processor cores on a single chip, an 8 MB shared level 3 cache,

(Plus a nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 2GB which is all but useless with iRay.)

I bought Reality 4 when it was first released but it was not stable. Lots of bug fixes since then so I tried it again over the past few days. Hit problems straight away. I don't know what it is about my renders (geo-grafts, 3rd. Party props, unsuitable shaders, who knows?) but Reality and my computer are not friends. Neither is Iray, for that matter. So slow in CPU mode despite what people say about it being as fast as 3Delight. For me it is about as quick (slow) as Reality 2.5. Rendering SSS and HD slow R4 down seriously too.

So I'm continuing to use 3Delight. The renders are not photorealistic but they tell the story and are quick (even quicker in 4.8) so, unless the New Luxrender really is very, very fast and renders without having to spend 2 days setting up materials, then I'm likely to stay with

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Bobvan said:

Which I do. The almost 4 yr old HP notebook that I just retired as an entrainment machine only would of been also.

edited June 2015

marble said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Bobvan said:

How new is newer?

My iMac is late 2012 27" and the spec says:

The iMac "Core i7" 3.4 27-Inch Aluminum (Late 2012) features a 22 nm Quad Core 3.4 GHz Intel "Core i7" I7-3770 (Ivy Bridge) processor with four independent processor cores on a single chip, an 8 MB shared level 3 cache,

(Plus a nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 2GB which is all but useless with iRay.)

I bought Reality 4 when it was first released but it was not stable. Lots of bug fixes since then so I tried it again over the past few days. Hit problems straight away. I don't know what it is about my renders (geo-grafts, 3rd. Party props, unsuitable shaders, who knows?) but Reality and my computer are not friends. Neither is Iray, for that matter. So slow in CPU mode despite what people say about it being as fast as 3Delight. For me it is about as quick (slow) as Reality 2.5. Rendering SSS and HD slow R4 down seriously too.

So I'm continuing to use 3Delight. The renders are not photorealistic but they tell the story and are quick (even quicker in 4.8) so, unless the New Luxrender really is very, very fast and renders without having to spend 2 days setting up materials, then I'm likely to stay with

...you shouldn't have any trouble getting the speed boost. i7s from "Sandy Bridge" on up have API support. It's only the early generation ones (which I have) that don't.

edited June 2015

If you look on Paolo's thread there is actually a test program that will let anyone know I am playing around with iray my 6 character scene does get going it just takes a few minutes... I have to figure out the tone mapper settings every time I try adjusting one everything is stupidly over exposed

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Bobvan said:

Which I do. The almost 4 yr old HP notebook that I just retired as an entrainment machine only would of been also.
    ...so it (the notebook) must be at least a Sandy Bridge i7 then.

edited December 1969

Prolly the beast and my new laptop for sure

edited December 1969

...for me, it would mean building an entirely new system as Ivy bridge uses a different socket (LGA 1155).

Not in the financial position to do that right now.

Were I to use the memory sticks I currently have to save some Zlotys, it would mean "downgrading" to 8GB as LGA 1155 MBs only have 4 memory slots. Having enough trouble with rendering going into swap mode on 12 GB.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...for me, it would mean building an entirely new system as Ivy bridge uses a different socket (LGA 1155).

Not in the financial position to do that right now.

Were I to use the memory sticks I currently have to save some Zlotys, it would mean "downgrading" to 8GB as LGA 1155 MBs only have 4 memory slots. Having enough trouble with rendering going into swap mode on 12 GB.

Same thing with me and GPU upgrades - can't be done. I justified paying so much for a top of the line iMac two years ago by swearing that it would have to last me 5 years. It is not possible to upgrade the GPU so IRay is a non-starter for me unless I am willing to endure CPU render times.

I hope the new Reality fixes some of the problems as well as includes the new/fast Luxrender, otherwise I'm stuck with 3Delight and I can't see DAZ putting more effort into that if they have a deal with nVidia to promote IRay.

edited June 2015

...well as I mentioned, your CPU is able to support the speed boost Lux 1.5 is supposed to offer.