i no haz nvidia

13»

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810
    edited December 1969

... there are only a couple of Macs that are being sold right now with nvidia chips in them--the mac book pros, I think.

I was about to correct you and say "No, no, I'm using a current Macbook Pro and it doesn't have an Nvidia card." But then I thought I'd check in the System Profiler and, sure enough, it's fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

Which makes me wonder just how slow the Iray renderer is when it's using the CPU alone. Because it's pretty damn glacial on my Macbook, for scenes of any significant complexity.

Do I need to download any CUDA-specific drivers for the Nvidia, or should Iray just work at full speed 'out-of-the-box'? I'm running the current version of Yosemite.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

angusm said:
    ... there are only a couple of Macs that are being sold right now with nvidia chips in them--the mac book pros, I think.

I was about to correct you and say "No, no, I'm using a current Macbook Pro and it doesn't have an Nvidia card." But then I thought I'd check in the System Profiler and, sure enough, it's fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

Which makes me wonder just how slow the Iray renderer is when it's using the CPU alone. Because it's pretty damn glacial on my Macbook, for scenes of any significant complexity.

Do I need to download any CUDA-specific drivers for the Nvidia, or should Iray just work at full speed 'out-of-the-box'? I'm running the current version of Yosemite.

Currently the "old" iMac (ie non-Retina) is the only one on sale with an NVidia graphics card (GT750M or 755M w/1GB). I have an early 2012 version (750M) and iray just doesn't see it. All other new Macs are ATI or Intel.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    angusm said:

Currently the "old" iMac (ie non-Retina) is the only one on sale with an NVidia graphics card (GT750M or 755M w/1GB). I have an early 2012 version (750M) and iray just doesn't see it. All other new Macs are ATI or Intel.

Mine is a late 2012 iMac with the "upgrade" GPU - NVidia GTX 680M. It only has 2GB so mostly, in my tests, it switched to CPU. However, I discovered another problem - IRay causes the display to corrupt with blocks of pixellated artefacts (not just in the render or even in DAZ Studio). I have to reboot to clear the messed up display. So I dare not switch on GPU anyway.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    Tim_A said:
    angusm said:

Mine is a late 2012 iMac with the "upgrade" GPU - NVidia GTX 680M. It only has 2GB so mostly, in my tests, it switched to CPU. However, I discovered another problem - IRay causes the display to corrupt with blocks of pixellated artefacts (not just in the render or even in DAZ Studio). I have to reboot to clear the messed up display. So I dare not switch on GPU anyway.

Can you please report this to DAZ via a support ticket jsut in case it is an IRay problem

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

There are definitely problems on the MacBook Pros. You may want to submit a ticket, so DAZ is aware of your particular situation.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Ok - I have now reported it to support.

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

So, I was playing around a bit more and I am finding that if you delete the Uber stuff, the render times are not bad. This is probably written up some place that I hadn't bothered to read yet... My fully populated scene with furniture (no human figure) took a long time, but I didn't do anything with the textures for that one, so it could be that it would render more quickly once I learn more about how to prepare scenes using the new system. But, I loaded several old test scenes and was able to get them all to render in under 5 minutes with very nice effect. All had G2F with some clothes and hair. I used the iRay material setting that comes with Studio, but no other textures were changed.

Since I'm still learning studio and hadn't really mastered the old renderer, I'm frustrated that the lighting is very different and will require some work to learn, but I think overall, I'll probably switch even though I don't have an nVidia card. At least for certain types of renders where it really does do a good job in a tolerable amount of time.

TL;DR If you want to see what iRay can do without hour+ long render times, delete the lights and render using the plain "Head Light" or whatever they call it. Then start adding in your own lights, one by one (and messing with the environment settings in the render settings). You can get nice character portraits that way.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Actually...if you are rendering the scene as described in 3DL and comparing it to the same thing in Iray, you are still missing a major piece...Iray, by default does full global illumination...3Delight does not....so unless your 3DL scene is using lighting that includes bounce and ambient occlusion, the two renders are NOT anywhere close to similar. Turn on 'everything' in UE and do a 'normal' 3DL render (don't enable progressive or anything like that) and go to high quality settings...that would be closer to Iray default.

Also, lighting in Iray does have a large impact on speed.

You really want to see a difference, use an HD figure with a nice hair in the scene. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,626
    edited December 1969

..or motion blur.

Created a scene with the Yosemite HDRI, UE, and only a five frame motion biur in 3DL and the scene took 16.5 hours to render.