Some Luxcore Carrara questions

Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I'm experimenting with Luxcore. My hope is to greatly reduce rendering times for my animations.
I bought Luxus, Luxus for carrara resource pack and download Luxrender.
I didn't find a big render speed advantage using Luxrender on my quad core i7. AMD R9 280
So I downloaded Luxcore. Of course I did a number of things wrong and I am learning, but when I got the GPU Open CL render.
I it appeared promising. I liked the look and it seemed Fast!
But.
( I may have screwed up the install on some of this)
Luxcore seems to work, at first the IPR looked very different then expected.( even using the shaders in the Luxcore sample scene)
So my questions Edit It was the Lux Render Shaders I was using. The Luxcore seem fine.
1) I Run Carrara 8.1 mostly should I really stick to 8.5 for this?

2) Does Luxcore recognise The Luxus Resource pack Shaders lights etc I down loaded. It doesn't seem to.

3) Does anyone know If Camera movement is supported when rendering animations?

4) I seems if I get it working and render it's OK, but if I take a second shot at a render it seems to Freeze with my GPU running at 99% and crashes Carrara, anyone else see this? Edit Must have been something I was doing. Used it all night tonight and it didn't crash once.

Thank You!
Brad

Post edited by Box8068_31c338ee4b on

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited June 2015

1. Have not noticed any difference with Luxus och LuxusCore in 8.1 or 8.5.
    2. No, the shaders are slightly different, but should be easy enough to modify yourself (the top node from Luxus to Luxcore).
    Spheric mentioned that he may add support or conversion for Luxus to Luxcore shaders later.
    3.There was an update some time ago, but I have not tried myself.
    4.Still a beta, but seems OK on my AMD rig, the NVIDIA rig (GTX460) has a lot of issues.

/EDIT
    Some more info here:
    http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

EDIT 2:
    If you want speed in LuxusCore, check both GPU and CPU in OpenCL/Path mode.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

First thanks for the unofficial Manual. Big help!
    Runs quite well on my AMD R9 280.
    AHHH Top Node Luxus to Luxcore! Thanks for the tip. I'll try the GPU and CPU setting.
    Thank You

3drendero said:
    1. Have not noticed any difference with Luxus och LuxusCore in 8.1 or 8.5.
    2. No, the shaders are slightly different, but should be easy enough to modify yourself (the top node from Luxus to Luxcore).
    Spheric mentioned that he may add support or conversion for Luxus to Luxcore shaders later.
    3.There was an update some time ago, but I have not tried myself.
    4.Still a beta, but seems OK on my AMD rig, the NVIDIA rig (GTX460) has a lot of issues.

/EDIT
    Some more info here:
    http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

EDIT 2:
    If you want speed in LuxusCore, check both GPU and CPU in OpenCL/Path mode.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

You are welcome.
    Feel free to post any renders or things you learn.