Ultimate Meadow Update?

2»

Comments

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 478

@von Hobo,

Thanks.  Yesterday, when I hid all of the grass instances (not just the ones that are hidden by default when a scene loads), I did get an Iray preview windiw that was a little more responsive.  I've heard of the Render Throttle products but I don't have either of them.  I do have Scene Optimizer and Instancify but have not used them so I don't know if either will help.  I'm going to explore more.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643
    edited July 2022

jjoyner said:

@von Hobo,

Thanks.  Yesterday, when I hid all of the grass instances (not just the ones that are hidden by default when a scene loads), I did get an Iray preview windiw that was a little more responsive.  I've heard of the Render Throttle products but I don't have either of them.  I do have Scene Optimizer and Instancify but have not used them so I don't know if either will help.  I'm going to explore more.

I use RenderThrottle all the time, for any scene. I really speeds up the Iray Drawstyle Preview window. In fact, without RenderThrottle, the slowness of the default Iray preview on most scenes makes it next to useless for me. I don't know why. 

RenderThrottle puts several icons into the toolbar, so you just click on one of those to chanage the preview to Iray, which is quicker than having to go into the Drawstyle dropdown. 

I cannot say enough good things about RenderThrottle. It also has several options for final renders as well. So you can go for a "quicker render" before your "final render" but I just use the Iray viewport with RenderThrottle to see what the final render will look like. 

I will have to check out Scene Optimizer which you mentioned.

P.S. I use the medium RenderThrottle button, if it does not work, make sure the DrawSettings pane is active before pressing the button. You will be amazed at how much quicker it displays in the Viewport.

I wish DAZ would provide tools for this as part of Studio, because I've never had much luck with the Iray Viewport that is built into DAZ Studio. I had to search for a solution in the DAZ Shop to speed it up. 

Screenshot (434).png
    718 x 718 - 143K
    Post edited by vonHobo on
    edited July 2022

von Hobo said:

jjoyner said:

@von Hobo,

I use RenderThrottle all the time, for any scene. I really speeds up the Iray Drawstyle Preview window. In fact, without RenderThrottle, the slowness of the Iray preview on most scenes makes next to useless for me. I don't know why. 

RenderThrottle puts several icons into the toolbar, so you just click on one of those to chanage the preview to Iray, which is quicker than having to go into the Drawstyle dropdown. 

I cannot say enough good things about RenderThrottle. It also has several options for final renders as well. So you can go for a "quicker render" before your "final render" but I just use the Iray viewport with RenderThrottle to see what the final render will look like. 

I will have to check out Scene Optimizer which you mentioned.

I've put Render Throttle for Iray on my wishlist; the 3Delight version was already there.

When watching vendor demo videos about their products, it's unfortunate that they rarely mention what type of rig they are using or any 3D accelerator/optimization software that they may be using.  As I noted earlier, the vendor recommends an Nvidia 970 or better; I'd have thought that a 2060 GPU would do much better.

Post edited by jjoyner on

@von Hobo – What a difference a year makes. Last month, Daz3D let Render Throttle fall into my cart for $3.99!!  With Daz Studio demanding more and more resources, Render Throttle is a great utility to have for my laptop (Windows 10, 16 Gb RAM, RTX 2060 with 6GbVRAM.  I just loaded a scene that made by Iray viewport slow to worse than a crawl IF Daz Studio was even able to shift into Iray mode.  Oftentimes, the attempt would crash Daz Studio.  With Render Throttle in Interactive Lo mode, the Iray viewport with the scene loaded is quite responsive and rendering in Render Hi mode was no problem.   :)