Carrara 8.5 proper intallation using Public Beta ?

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

When I went to the Public beta release for Carrara 8.5 many of my problems with the database disappeared.
Getting away from that valentia database has been a huge improvement.

I have some questions about a proper install.

I use the DIM for updating content items and re-importing the meta data.
I have read that DIM is only for DAZ3d, but that is confusing since almost all the content items work with Carrara and Daz3d studio.

I have found the only way to get a proper intallation of Carrara is to do it outside of the DIM. This may not be a fact, but I had issues when I tried within the DIM to install Carrara application and plugins.

1) I would appreciate to read what other Carrara users have for their Carrara and RenderNode installation addresses.

2) Have you successfully installed Carrara plugins from the DIM for Carrara?

3) I have some dedicated Carrara content items (at least they are specified as such). Should these items be installed manually without using the DIM.

My folders for Carrara installation are as follows.
The Carrara RenderNode is in like respective folders for 32 and 64 bit

My Programs\Daz3d\Carrara 8.5 (win 64-bit)Public Build+Beta+

My Programs(x86)\Daz3d\Carrara 8.5 (win32-bit)Public Build+Beta+

This structure I am suspecting to be wrong, because plugins aren't available when I run the application.

-----------------------------------------

I was thinking the folders might not be properly addressed, if it is within the config files for folder Carrara 8.5 to be proper folder name under both My Programs\ and My Programs (x86), The public build beta bit I am thinking may be my problem.

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas. I plan to uninstall and reinstall Carrara Beta release over the weekend. I am hoping to get it right this time.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

I use DIM to install everything from Daz3D,
    That's all "content" from the store, and all applications like Carrara and all Plug-ins for both DS and Carrara.

Perhaps the confusion of what products can be installed using DIM, comes from people who want to install products from other Vendors,.. DIM only installs DAZ3D products,. not products from other stores,. Although as far as I know they can make installers which would work in DIM,. but most other stores supply only a ZIP.

DIM will install any products sold by DAZ3D.

You need to set-up your installation path's for your applications , and DIM will do the rest.
    If you have Z-Brush or Photoshop, and any "plug-ins which use those, (GOZ, DS/PS bridge ) then you also need to add those application paths to DIM so that it knows where to install to.

the install paths which you've listed are correct but if you "manually" install any products,. then DIM will have no idea that it's been installed. and obviously that may lead to plug-ins not being installed to those locations.

The Carrara "Beta" should always install to a new folder, so that it doesn't mess up your main Carrara install.

As the Beta is now over, and the Full updater has been released, you should Uninstall the Beta,. and install C8.5.1 full version.

The Beta versions are supplied as "only the main program" (for testing) but the plug-ins should work with it, so I'm not sure why those aren't working for you,. Perhaps because you're manually installing,. then it''s not listed it DIM's Database, since it didn't install it.

In DIM,. You can right click on an installed product, (including plugins) and select "Show installed files" which will list the locations where the plug-ins are installed.

The "Render-nodes" are only needed if you have more than one machine linked on a network to render for you. and they should be installed onto the other systems in that network.
    you don't need then on a single system.

Hope it helps :)

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited June 2015

3dage

Good information. I appreciate to know the final release is out. I haven't kept up with the beta progress as I should.

I haven't used Carrara for couple weeks, and I just did a re-import of meta data. So now is a good time to do the new install.

Thank you

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on