Bar ,how to get glass materials in Iray?

mach25mach25 Posts: 256
edited June 2022 in Hexagon Discussion

Bar WIP

how do I get right looking glass materials and liquor materials in Iray,right settings in Iray?

M

bartst2.png
605 x 665 - 369K
Iraybartst3.png
605 x 665 - 625K
bart1.png
1265 x 656 - 248K
Post edited by mach25 on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited June 2022

With any luck this tutorial will get you started - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24DfaHdI0xM&ab_channel=ParmyBaddhan.

Just had a look in the store as Jen gave me a few pointers in the past, you cannot use her shaders but you may be able to figure out how to get a decent result by studying how she got there https://www.daz3d.com/liquid-3-iray-shaders--mixed-cocktails

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • mach25mach25 Posts: 256

thanks Wee dangerous Johnyes

two types of glasses just end up like clay mugs before

right setting in Iray the question is about,how you set trace rays lvl refraction/reflected with lots of "Ice" material is worth getting a cool look,but shelfes with lots of glasses/bottles I dont want to end up with too low number of refract/reflect

M

edited June 2022

All I can say about rendering glass types (plain glass, frosted (ice) and the others) is to try them all to see what comes close to what you want then experement with the setting to see if you can get close to what you imagined.

You did throw me of the project I am working on to have a play with some of my old props, good to have a break :)

Edit to add - How are you making your glasses/contents, one piece or two ?

What I mean by that is, are you copying the inner section of the glass to make the liquid or are you cutting it.

glasses5.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 644K
    edited June 2022

Oh, your models seem to be very low poly - What are you planning to do with the set ?

edited June 2022

Looks great wee dangerous John yes

Glass + liquid little smaller I created as 2 objects with 2 different materials 

And group together 

I also took a break making bottle labels and test  with adding vicky

Lowpoly enhance with detailed bumpmaps 

Maybe make a complete bar 

M

Post edited by mach25 on
  • Thanks it's something I made in Reality days, before we had Iray, good times.

I normally make the glass, save it as one obj. Then use the inside section to create the liquid (cut & paste not copy) then close the top. This gives you 2 objects with different materials, plus when rendering you have not got 2 faces in the same position. Not sure if this still matters but it's something I picked up along the way, it also reduces the poly count and makes UV mapping easier.  Finally I save the full glass as an obj so I end up with 2 versions.

edited June 2022

thanks,but for DS I want a way to make the glass with liquor as child hierarchi similar as vicki and hair,so liquor could be visibility unchecked when user wants only glass

edit new render many different glasses

alcoglas2tst.png
    256 x 256 - 55K
    Irayalcoglasses1.png
    2048 x 2048 - 4M
    Post edited by mach25 on
    edited July 2022

bar shelfes

Iraybar2glasses.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by mach25 on
    edited July 2022

annoying texture problem with cup version getting text right ???

cup1whiskey.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by mach25 on
    edited July 2022

Looks like you have no thickness so the texture is showing on both sides (inside and outside). Also the bottom looks wrong, no bevel. The Liquid looks like you've added a level of smoothing.

Did you unfold the cup or use a projection plane ? 

Note - Sorry if this comes across as picky, just trying to be construstive.

edited July 2022

thanks Weeyes

anyway seem like I need to have one extra etiqette outer layer and add ice cubes in drink

went back to original cylinder UV mapping instead of customized and it works

what if I started glass with alternative approach than primitive,curves instead?

cup based on circle+thickness tool nearest bumpmapped

cup1line1d.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by mach25 on