3D Printing From Carrara

StuieStuie Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to develop a piece of equipment I can use for work. I've modeled it in Carrara, but would like to know how to get it exported into an STL file for the printer. Any suggestions?

Stuie

Comments

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Wow, I guess I should investigate things a little better before I post. All I needed to do was to export the file into an OBJ, then went online to convert into an STL file. In case anyone might be interested the link for the conversion is this;

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

Stuie

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Netfabb Basic (Windows and Mac versions) is free and can export STL format. You could export OBJ or VRML files from Carrara into Netfabb.

Its possible to create files from Carrara or other 3D modeling apps that won't print and require some repair. Netfabb Basic can repair many common problems.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

If you need it very accurate you could design it with OpenSCAD

edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    If you need it very accurate you could design it with OpenSCAD

Yes, a solid modeling application can be an advantage for making "watertight" models for printing. I use SolidWorks but I find I still have to repair some STL files that SolidWorks exports, because of small inaccuracies in the nurbs to triangles conversion.

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for your replies. I think I'll check out OpenSCAD to see how it works out.

Stuie

edited December 1969

I think you will want an application like FreeCAD http://www.freecadweb.org/ where you can build the models visually.

OpenSCAD is a programming tool (no GUI).

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited June 2015

FreeCAD is rock solid for importing and exporting STEP files, the highest quality 3D models between pro CAD apps.
    Will try the STL export now with something big from Carrara...

EDIT. Loaded a 300MB OBJ file and exported a 200MB STL files that seems OK.
    Impressive for a free app.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

BTW: Hexagon also produces STL fIles.