further to the CPU debate - tech question

2»

Comments

• protovuprotovu Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

Very interesting, thank you. I will dig in to this.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

One thing that you may want to look into no matter which CPU you get is liquid cooling.
    I have a liquid cooled i7 4790K and during a 24 Hr render for animation it never got above 69 Degree's
    If you go with the dual core you can get 2 120 MM Coolers so that each will have the proper cooling.

Just ensure you have a case that will handle the coolers.

Mine was designed for a 240 Mill cooler so that is what i put in . I could have just as easily put 2 120 mm coolers instead.
    Here is the case I got.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=048245

• protovuprotovu Posts: 194

Just an update: Thanks for all who helped me decide which way to go with my next machine. I went with a dual xeon machine, and have been very happy with it to date. One 26 hour render was knocked down to about 6 hours.

Additionally, I have been able to network render for additional render speed increases.  Surprisingly, the machine is quiet, too.

Cheers,

Rick

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

I realize that some enjoy the hardware aspect and working on/playing with computer hardware, but for anyone out there who might be looking for alternatives for significantly decreasing 26 hour render times without going for an expensive hardware solution, there are a number of techniques that are free and easy. 

For what it's worth...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

damn I wish they would fix the ignore on the forum.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

damn I wish they would fix the ignore on the forum.

I know, right? People suggesting more efficient rendering techniques in case anyone is interested. 

Geez, where will it end? angry

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

_  Interesting subject ~

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    AMD is still offering the best bang for the buck on new desktop PCs. They are also about to release a new generation, the Zen 3, meaning lower prices on Zen 2. New free auto overclocking tool for Zen 2: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-for-ryzen-ctr-guide-download,1.html