July, 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and L.I.E.

1235»

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Shimrian said:

Wow, so many great entries!  I wish I had more time this month to comment on everyone. @tommyskypilot, I really like your Fan Club Paranormal Investigator. @Limun, great improvement on your tattoo! That looks very realistic. Also good job on resizing / positioning on your tattoo, @sueya.

I finally had a chance to work on my image some more and decided it was missing something to "protect" against. I also dropped the photoshop brushes and added a bit of smoke to the scene. I'm not super happy with the hair on the boy, but I didn't have many short hair options and none that looked good on a young child.

Mirialan protector

Mirialan protecting a child against slavers

Alert, Alert!

The ship is being boarded by slavers! There is smoke leaking from the damaged hydraulic control valves that broke when the Mantisaran forced its way through the passage.

The Mantisarans are a subjugated race that the Yuuzhan Vong sometimes use when capturing slaves.

"Not today!" yells Ziha as she raises her Electrostaff to protect the Mirialan child behind her.

Link to image in my Gallery.

You put a lot of work into this image and it shows.

Having the right hair prop can be such a challenge.  I have so many but there are still times when I do not have the "right" one I need for an image.

Great job.

SapphireBlue said:

Kismet2012 said:

SapphireBlue said:

I am a lover of contrasting and interesting shadows.  I also love black and white images.

Unfortunately, I think your high key lighting is washing out the bruises.  I had a hard time finding them.  I can see the bruise on his lip and I think I can see the bruise above his eyebrow but the lighting is obscuring the chin and cheek bruises.

He has a great, dynamic but natural looking pose and expression.

This is a great start.  Thank you for sharing.

Thanks heaps for the feedback Kismet! I worked on darkening the bruises, especially the ones on his forehead and cheek, as Daedalus-7 also pointed out in his feedback. Hopefully it's a bit better now. I'm a little short on time this week, so I might stop for now, but any further feedback for improving things is always welcome for when I work on it further.

Boxer I (updated)

Darkening those bruises worked.  They are just dark enough to be visible but not so dark they look odd.

Limun said:

Shimrian said:

Wow, so many great entries!  I wish I had more time this month to comment on everyone. @Limun, great improvement on your tattoo! That looks very realistic. 

Alert, Alert!

The ship is being boarded by slavers! There is smoke leaking from the damaged hydraulic control valves that broke when the Mantisaran forced its way through the passage.

The Mantisarans are a subjugated race that the Yuuzhan Vong sometimes use when capturing slaves.

"Not today!" yells Ziha as she raises her Electrostaff to protect the Mirialan child behind her.

Link to image in my Gallery.

Thanks for comment smiley

Do I need to add my final image somewhere or do I need to write "my final ... "

You can edit your post to indicate it is your "final" version.

SapphireBlue said:

I was working on another custom character, fantasy this time. Giving him some markings seemed a good idea to draw out the character more, so I worked on some black LIE markings for his face and chest. Here's a portrait of him for my 2nd entry.

Not quite what he seems (2nd entry, Intermediate, DS Iray)

I really like him.  Definitely would not want to be on his bad side.

tommyskypilot said:

I'm enjoying this and learning more about using LIE. so, here is another. Used LIE for dirt effect on the subject as well as the tattoos this time. Thanks for looking.

Fan Club Rank and File

Thank You Comrade!

Fan Club Rank and File

Dirt looks great.  Sometimes images are just too "clean".

aki3d said:

Intermediate Challenge - L.I.E. (Layered Image Editor).

Rendered in Daz Studio Iray.

The Freckles are the layer

Love the freckles.  They add so much personality to a character.

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 415
    edited July 2022

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Title: Bond Between Very Different Worlds

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

LIE on the hands. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

So glad you are tackling L.I.E.s.  They can be a bit tricky.

The barbed wire necklace may need to be adjusted slightly.  It looks like it is intersecting with his neck.  The bottom row specifically.

The hand of your angel figure is bent at a bit of an akward angle.  If you adjust the forearm so it is moved closer to the other figure's forearm you should be able to straighten out the wrist and still have them holding hands.  It will also give them another point of connection between them.

They are a bit tricky I 100% agree with you. But makes for some cool stuff!

Thank you for the feedback. I've made the adjustments you suggested :)

Bond Between Very Different Worlds 2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 846

Thanks very much for all your feedback during this challenge Kismet2012heart I learned a lot from my efforts and everyone elses too as we got into all the LIE stuff. yes

katywhite said:

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

The barbed wire necklace may need to be adjusted slightly.  It looks like it is intersecting with his neck.  The bottom row specifically.

The hand of your angel figure is bent at a bit of an akward angle.  If you adjust the forearm so it is moved closer to the other figure's forearm you should be able to straighten out the wrist and still have them holding hands.  It will also give them another point of connection between them.

Much better.  Getings hands posed in an interactivve way is definitely a study in patience.  

SapphireBlue said:

Thanks very much for all your feedback during this challenge Kismet2012heart I learned a lot from my efforts and everyone elses too as we got into all the LIE stuff. yes

You are welcome.  Thank you for participating.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited July 2022

Final version of my second entry. Added smoke effects to the fires and the point where he's striking the ground.

Break the Foundation4.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Much better.  Getings hands posed in an interactivve way is definitely a study in patience.  

Absolutely! And your pointers helped me a lot :)

edited July 2022

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Title: Calling to the Other Side

Second entry. LIE for the back scars and spirits on the walls. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

First impression is the red is a bit overwhelming.  Using either a slightly darker shade of red or toning the red down a bit could provide the same effect without being the dominate part of the image.

The spirits on the wall look great.  

His pose looks quite natural.

The water droplets are adding some interesting shadows and effects.

Thanks for the suggestion! I removed some of the lights and darkened the red a bit. Hopefully this makes it a little less overwhelming.

Calling to the Other Side 4.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • LimunLimun Posts: 182

Title: WP Guru

Intermediate Challenge - L.I.E.

Software used Daz3d. photoshop and substance painter to create tattoo text and brow scar

no postwork

WP1.png
    1500 x 1601 - 3M

Challenge is now closed

July, 2022

Showcased Participants for Portrait Rendering

Traveler by Isis4444merlin

Singer by redbankmark

Showcased Participants for L.I.E.

Bonds Between Very Different Worlds by katywhite

Great great great great grandaughter by Limun

Don't mess with the Young Ones by Tangled Up With Ink

• Congrats to the winners!

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475

Congratulations and great images everyone!

• Congratulations all!

• LimunLimun Posts: 182

Congratulations to all :) 

• Congrats to all

Wow thanks! And congrats to all the winners and thank you for everyone submitting such wonderful entries :)

• Congrats everyone and thank you!

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28
    Congratulations!
  • Congratulations to all! Great work everybody.

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198

Caongrats to all the winners! Great job!