computer freezing after around 50 seconds of rendering

so im trying to do a 16:9, 1920x1080 tavern scene which involves 4 characters and some lighting that came with the ready to render file, and every time i try to do it, my computer freezes resulting in me not being able to click on anything, not even being able to move my cursor. i am forced to hard restart my computer. i have waited through one of these freezes which took about 10-15 minutes to unfreeze, then it rendered the scene like normal. i noticed that on task manager right before my pc freezes, cpu usage spikes to 100 percent. i have tried to turn off cpu rendering in the render settings, advanced tab, unchecked cpu fallback and even re-did the entire scene, none of which worked. also even when i preview the scene in the viewport with IRAY, it still freezes my computer.

i have made other renders such as portraits, 1920x1080 scenes, and 2k basic renders, all of which turned out fine.

any kind of help would be appreciated. 

also worth mentioning that i used scene optimizer, using the divide maps by 2 option on the top. only setting i used.

computer specs listed below

RAM: 16 gigs

GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

VRAM: 8 gigs

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

This might not be the issue, but 16 Gb of system RAM is tight.  If you could upgrade, that would be money well spent.

In addition to Scene Optimizer, what I use to limit unnecessary load is Camera View Optimizer.  It makes it easy to hide everything from the scene that's not in the frame.  For indoor scenes, you sometimes need to go back and unhide walls, but otherwise it has served me well.  This may help with heavy scenes.  4 characters is quite a few.

Could you post the log of what happened when your scene started, then paused, and then resumed?  Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

The 16GB's of RAM is the issue, 4 characters and a tavern... The computer is using your drive to compensate for the missing RAM, and that is a sloowing the process down.

RAM is cheap, get at least 32GB's.