Adding vertices will make existing morphs no longer work?

Hello everyone, 

I found that if I edit a geometry via daz script, even just adding a single vertex makes all morphs of that geometry no longer work. If I pre-set these morphs to 100%, after running the script, I can see in the viewport that the geometry goes back to its original shape immediately. That is, the invalidation of these morphs is a "real-time update". 

According to my understanding, a morph just records the displacement information of some vertices of a geometry. The newly added vertex is obviously not in the list of those vertices, so I guess it shouldn't break the existing morph. 

This makes me very curious, is adding vertices breaking the integrity of the in-memory data structure or am I missing something that prevents the morphs from working for the geometry after the vertex has been added? 

Maybe the question is moot but I'm really interested in learning more. I would be very grateful if I could get answers from you all. 

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

It's simple, the vertex count of the morph has to match (exactly) the vertex count of the mesh that is being morphed, otherwise DS does not know which vertex of the original mesh should be moved and where.