HDR help

BellaBella Posts: 439
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,
I've started playing with HDRI in daz, I downloaded a freebie and created a scene, understood that I needed a shadow catcher and found one at sharecg....but I still cannot see any shadow, where I go wrong?
I hope this question is not too stupid!! :)

shadow3.png
1500 x 927 - 1M

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I can't get the Shadow Catcher from Jabba (sharecg) to work in DS4.8 either!

Here is the video he mentioned that inspired him, it may help till I can get some more answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo2OVy9tf8E

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

The shadow plane looks like it is under the floor plane, the square boxes. Have you tried raising the shadow plane or lowering the floor plane?

• BellaBella Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

I can't get the Shadow Catcher from Jabba (sharecg) to work in DS4.8 either!

Here is the video he mentioned that inspired him, it may help till I can get some more answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo2OVy9tf8E

Thank you I'll take a look at this video!
    Anyway I've tried the shadow catcher with a distant light and it works .... While it still doesn't with the uber ....

edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    The shadow plane looks like it is under the floor plane, the square boxes. Have you tried raising the shadow plane or lowering the floor plane?

I've just loaded without moving it but I can try to move it higher......thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It's not anything you are doing wrong...and should probably be submitted as bug, but it looks like the ShaderMixer shadow catcher brick is not recognizing shadows cast by certain types of lights.

You can add a distant or spot, set it's shadows to 'on', adjust the intensity and then, set the light to Specular only...since you are probably using UberEnvironment for the lighting...

edited June 2015

mjc1016 said:
    It's not anything you are doing wrong...and should probably be submitted as bug, but it looks like the ShaderMixer shadow catcher brick is not recognizing shadows cast by certain types of lights.

You can add a distant or spot, set it's shadows to 'on', adjust the intensity and then, set the light to Specular only...since you are probably using UberEnvironment for the lighting...

I've tried what you said, first time I loaded the distant light copying the uber (first pic) then I loaded a distant without copying the uber (pic 2)
    anyway the shadow of the copied one is pretty strange....

distant.jpg
    1324 x 770 - 427K
    distant_copy.jpg
    929 x 651 - 349K
    Post edited by Bella on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

If you have a ground prop, and you show the ground plane with dome Iray render, the ground plane will show up with the dome's appearance (which, I suppose, makes a kind of sense). Turn off the 'show ground' option in the Environment for the render if you don't need a shadow catcher there..