Preset Question

SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

So, I added a material zone (surface) to a garment.  And then I went and used a couple of shaders.  I'd like to save this for my own use, so I don't have to fiddle with it again. 

What kind of preset to I save this as?  Will it save with a scene or scene subset if I do nothing?

Thanks in advance heart

Things I have tried:

Properties and Materials presets loaded the shader I had applied to the original surfaces, but the new surface wasn't there.

Wearables  and Scene Subsets hung  Daz Studio, and I had to nuke it.

Post edited by Sevrin on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,244

To preserve the new Surfaces, you need to save the data file (.dsf). If you want to overwrite the existing one, Save As -> Support Assets -> Save Modified Assets. This will replace the original .dsf file in the /data folder. If you want to create a new asset, Save As -> Support Assets -> Figure/Prop Assets. This will create a new wearable preset, as well as a new geometry file (.dsf) and supporting files (UV set, morphs that were already included, etc.) in a new folder of your choosing. If I recall, it returns to the last used folder, so be careful where you save it. It might be useful to have a destination folder and filename to insert when needed.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Thank you.  That got me something I can work with. yes

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,244

Great! Glad to help.

• NorthOf45 said:

To preserve the new Surfaces, you need to save the data file (.dsf). If you want to overwrite the existing one, Save As -> Support Assets -> Save Modified Assets. This will replace the original .dsf file in the /data folder.

File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modified Assets should also work, but remember that this will fail for content installed through Daz Studio itself and will be overwritten by any product update.

If you want to create a new asset, Save As -> Support Assets -> Figure/Prop Assets. This will create a new wearable preset, as well as a new geometry file (.dsf) and supporting files (UV set, morphs that were already included, etc.) in a new folder of your choosing. If I recall, it returns to the last used folder, so be careful where you save it. It might be useful to have a destination folder and filename to insert when needed.

• However, anything that saves the geometry (so a wearables, or a character used to load a new item, or a scene/scene subset) should save the changes and use them - as long as there isn't also an unmodified version in the scene too (any given geometry asset can exist in only one form in any given scene).

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Richard Haseltine said:

However, anything that saves the geometry (so a wearables, or a character used to load a new item, or a scene/scene subset) should save the changes and use them - as long as there isn't also an unmodified version in the scene too (any given geometry asset can exist in only one form in any given scene).

Thanks.  So that's why, when I tried to load the wearable and scene subset, Daz Studio just hung.  I had only hidden the garment I used to make them with. 

• I wouldn't have expected it to hang, at least not for that reason - just to always use the first (or last, I'm not certain) loaded configuration of the asset.