Mid 1800's Ship

I see a lot of pirate ships, ships from the 1600 or 1700's, plenty of ships from nowadays and even space ships, but I cannot find anything from the mid 1800's.  You know, think civial war era leading into the Titanic type of ship.  It's really odd that there are no ships on here from those days, so, if you make I shall pay!

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Is it something like this you are after https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/ships-of-the-us-civil-war/44902/

Maybe try to attach an image so people know what you are looking for.

• I think you mean mid-nineteenth century, rather than mid-1800s (which would be around 1805). Though steam (and diesel) liners such as the Titanic came later.

The trouble is, ships are very complex with all that rigging, even if the whole thing is static.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    edited July 2022
    I think you need to be a great deal more specific in your time and vessel requirements. HMS Warrior was the first major ironclad vessel in 1860. By 1870 it was obsolete. The technology changed so fast that 10 years was a huge time to consider. Erikson's invention of the turret that went into the Monitor also revolutionised ship design. Additionally, think of the construction methods. They went from wooden planks on wooden frames, to wooden planks on iron frames to iron plating on iron frames. Then consider propulsion, sail, paddle wheels and screw propeller. Ships had any combination of the three, with sailing only coasters being built until 1905 in Cornwall. Then with sailing vessels, the masts changed from timber to lighter wrought iron and finally that wonder material, steel. That's probably why you don't see a lot of 1850's type vessels.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • It's not specific except that there appears to be a 100 year gap is what I am saying.  There are ships from the 1700's and ships from the 1900's.  There are ships from the 1600's.  There are ships from the 2000's.  There are no ships of any build or type that are from the 1800's lol  Sheesh.  It's a suggestion is all.  I am not looking for a specific thing and wasting time.  Just tossing out a suggestion.  This community is always so annoying.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

it's equally annoying when one links something only for the original poster to say I didn't mean that devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited July 2022

that said the museum at Post Adelaide is chockablock full of models of such ships from that era as most of my and everyone elses ancestors came here on them

https://maritime.history.sa.gov.au/collections/?cdetails=1&irn=472&appid=1646019915

for reference if I actually had the skill to model ships that ischeeky

I don't blush

at risk of said rejection because I am a sucker 

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/ships-of-the-us-civil-war/44902

you will need to convert 3DS to obj

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Eighteenth century, Twentieth century, Seventeenth century, Twenty-first century - and for the first decades it would be 1800s, 1900s, 1600s, and 2000s - no apostrophe in plurals. OK, I'm a pedant - but 1800s etc. do mean something which using them to mean the whole century breaks.