CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

1101112131416»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited September 2022

I have a yucky video with no sound.  Am going to enter this as a placeholder and try to update if I make progress.  Struggling with my video editor (Lightworks), not Carrara so much.  Having trouble with Lightworks just because of infrequent use.  Use it or lose it.

See

https://youtu.be/sD_LT-1f_rI

screengrab of butterfly and garden.jpg
    933 x 700 - 73K
    Post edited by Diomede on

As far as workflow, recall that I previously rendered the 360 backgrounds from a number of locations.  For this sequence, I am using a 360 background rendered from near a bridge with castle tower in background.  I used simple primitives and similar as shadow catchers for the background castle tower and the bridge.  That way the dragon can circle the tower and appear in and out, and the lower half of the people can appear to be behind the bridge side.

I rendered the animation in three stages using two different cameras.  You can set the frame beginning and end in the render room.  In theory, the camera location of the final frame of the first sequence (butterfly) matches up with the camera angle of the second (couple kiss on bridge), but Lightworks has inserted a black frame and I'm having trouble deleting it without deleting too much.

bb01 scene setup note 360 background and shadow catchers and flap wings NLA clips.jpg
    1886 x 1021 - 326K
    edited September 2022

Update 

This is an update - Longer intro, added some music, still struggling to remember how to edit with Lightworks. Click link, not pic.

https://youtu.be/oy8zqql1m70

aaa cover wip.jpg
    932 x 700 - 67K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2022

DesertDude please get this one in !!!

I just finalized the image, thanks Bunyip02 for the extension. Explanations to follow.

final.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 237K
    assembly_room.jpg
    1924 x 1210 - 277K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited September 2022

Fantastic entries are coming in at the last minute.  Great job, DesertDude and Schlomi Laszlo.

I have yet another update.  My dragon entry has some dragon now.  Ugh, is this edit rough.  Music is from Archive.org.  Assembled in Lightworks.  Click to play.  Be prepared to turn down the volume mid way.

NOTE - BUNYIP - This was my last update.  Thanks for the time extension.

edited September 2022

There is nothing super complicated happening. With regards to the dragon, just a lot of hand positioning of the plates

The 'Dragon Fire' was made by a simple model of polygon strips. I then added a Soft Body modifier and experimented with some Forces...

The quilt of the bed is a simple flat subdivided model draped over a cube with a Soft Body Modifier, saved out as an OBJ and Imported back into Carrara.

All the Shaders are Procedural except for the Eyeball, that is a texture map.

chest_vm.jpg
    1253 x 787 - 143K
    misc_models.jpg
    800 x 800 - 70K
    shaders.jpg
    357 x 418 - 38K
    eyeballs_web.jpg
    512 x 512 - 6K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,762

Entry thread is now closed - Voting thread begins !

DesertDude said:

I just finalized the image, thanks Bunyip02 for the extension. Explanations to follow.

Awesome !!!

Diomede said:

Fantastic entries are coming in at the last minute.  Great job, DesertDude and Schlomi Laszlo.

I have yet another update.  My dragon entry has some dragon now.  Ugh, is this edit rough.  Music is from Archive.org.  Assembled in Lightworks.  Click to play.  Be prepared to turn down the volume mid way.

Woohoo, glad you made it !!!

edited September 2022

A little more info on linked lights.

I made some renderings based on each isolated light. The first image has all the lights turned off, You can see the fire breath, the eye sockets and the eyes all have a color or value contributing to the Glow Channel. For the rest of the images I removed the glow so you can see how much (or little...) the lights contribute to the whole.

(While doing this I found 2 or 3 lights that didn't even show up illuminating anything, lol, so I didn't include them)

The lights casting the shadow of the window frame on the back wall are Distant Lights and they each have Soft Shadows enabled. I was struggling to reproduce a phenomenon I saw discussed here:

https://chrisbrejon.com/cg-cinematography/chapter-7-lighting-techniques/#warm-edge

Except I was trying for a blury 'cool' edge...possibly handled way easier in post with one or more Shadow Passes and some blur and such.

The whole work is a fascinating treatise that I haven'y yet fully read and ingested but looks to be packed with tasty software agnostic advice about lighting and other things. smiley

edited to add: Agh, I forgot the little lamp in the back, but anyways...

isolated_lights.jpg
    1500 x 1250 - 176K

DesertDude said:

A little more info on linked lights.

I made some renderings based on each isolated light. The first image has all the lights turned off, You can see the fire breath, the eye sockets and the eyes all have a color or value contributing to the Glow Channel. For the rest of the images I removed the glow so you can see how much (or little...) the lights contribute to the whole.

(While doing this I found 2 or 3 lights that didn't even show up illuminating anything, lol, so I didn't include them)

The lights casting the shadow of the window frame on the back wall are Distant Lights and they each have Soft Shadows enabled. I was struggling to reproduce a phenomenon I saw discussed here:

https://chrisbrejon.com/cg-cinematography/chapter-7-lighting-techniques/#warm-edge

Except I was trying for a blury 'cool' edge...possibly handled way easier in post with one or more Shadow Passes and some blur and such.

The whole work is a fascinating treatise that I haven'y yet fully read and ingested but looks to be packed with tasty software agnostic advice about lighting and other things. smiley

edited to add: Agh, I forgot the little lamp in the back, but anyways...

Thanks for your workflow - is an interesting setup !!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,994

Bunyip02 said:

DesertDude said:

Awesome !!!

+ 1    ~.~ 

edited September 2022

Diomede said:

Soundimage .org   = Free with give them  credits  -  explanationes on the website

_  pretty good really  - -  Thanx 

Post edited by ed3D on

ed3D said:

Diomede said:

Soundimage .org   = Free with give them  credits  -  explanationes on the website

Bookmarked !!!

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Diomede said:

Bookmarked !!!

~   alright then   _   yes     _   

Thank you, @ed3D, for the comments and for suggesting soundimage.

edited September 2022

Diomede said:

Thank you, @ed3D, for the comments and for suggesting soundimage.

you're  are more than welcome  _   seen about it on LightWorks  forums  - - ( used Lightworks several  years )

and  you  might look at  DaVinci Resolv  with it can use  previous versions -   am use Resolv 14.3  for few months  ( no sign-up to website , neither )

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited September 2022

Some nice DaVinci Resolv training videos and PDFs for free, just downloaded some of the PDFs. Edit - had a link but scrolling down the page it also had commercial stuff, do a search for it !!!

Looks a lot more advanced than Pinnacle Studio !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

If you have not voted yet, get those votes in !!!

Bunyip02 said:

Some nice DaVinci Resolv training videos and PDFs for free, just downloaded some of the PDFs. Edit - had a link but scrolling down the page it also had commercial stuff, do a search for it !!!

could always look at the Free version  ,  fairly easyly

Bunyip02 said:

If you have not voted yet, get those votes in !!!

Final Reminder - a day to go !!!

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

could always look at the Free version  ,  fairly easyly

Have downloaded the free version as well as the PDF tutes, will use DaVinci Resolv in the next animation that I do !!!

Will check out the free version as well.  No commitment to use it, though. 

| Blackmagic Design  has their own YouTube channel 
    And Casey Faris  |  DaVinci Resolve  Tutorials 
     _  have looked at a number of them seem pretty good
    Thanx

ed3D said:

| Blackmagic Design  has their own YouTube channel 
    And Casey Faris  |  DaVinci Resolve  Tutorials 
     _  have looked at a number of them seem pretty good
    Thanx

Thanks for the tips !!!