2D

edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Con anyone help me with creating a 2d image? I'm trying to create a framed photo as a prop for a scene but I can't figure out how to import a 2D photo into Carrara.

Post edited by insomnia_5c322be5d8 on

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

insomnia said:
    Con anyone help me with creating a 2d image? I'm trying to create a framed photo as a prop for a scene but I can't figure out how to import a 2D photo into Carrara.

Sure.

Create a plane with the same dimension as the photo you wish to use. This will keep your image from being distorted after importing.

In the Assemble room select the plane and then switch to the Texture room.

In the Shader editor window, select "Color" and change its pull-down menu option to "Texture Map".

Click the Open icon and select your image file.

Click the Rotate icon until the image in the Preview window is oriented correctly. (Activate "Auto Update")

Changing the Filtering to Sampling will sometimes produce a sharper image. "Fast Mip Map" may be better for animations. Experiment to see which looks better for you.

In the Assemble room activate the "Textured" view to see the image on the plane.

textured_view.png
    992 x 761 - 159K
    texture_map.png
    705 x 729 - 220K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

What de3an said, except be careful with auto update in the Texture Room as it can sometimes put Carrara into zombie mode, where it doesn't appear hung up, except selecting different options and menus does nothing. I have had it happen in C7.2 and C8.5 if I change things to rapidly. I just disable auto update and hit the render button when I need to update the preview. It's only an extra click and it saves me from a world of hurt sometimes.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

What de3an said, except be careful with auto update in the Texture Room as it can sometimes put Carrara into zombie mode, where it doesn't appear hung up, except selecting different options and menus does nothing. I have had it happen in C7.2 and C8.5 if I change things to rapidly. I just disable auto update and hit the render button when I need to update the preview. It's only an extra click and it saves me from a world of hurt sometimes.

I second that about the auto-update, although for me it only seems to happen on very complex shaders or when I'm playing with subsurface scattering.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

I second that about the auto-update, although for me it only seems to happen on very complex shaders or when I'm playing with subsurface scattering.

You are correct. I should have added that caveat. It's usually an issue with big scenes with many shaders or complex shaders. Another factor is how many shaders are open as well. Unfortunately, when I have those things going on, that is when I tend to get into the "zone" and am less likely to think about saving frequently, which comes back to bite me with embarrassing frequency. I have avoided the dreaded zombie mode, by being fastidious in leaving the auto update option disabled whenever I come across it in Carrara, not just the Texture room.

edited December 1969

Going back to the 2D image thing, the OP should also consider the other shader functions. For instance, after creating a new Master Shader, the default Highlight and Shininess channels may be set so that they look pretty glossy. If you don't want that, then use the numeric sliders to set the desired values. Higher numbers in the Highlight channel will mean a bright highlight, and lower values in the Shininess channel will make the edges of the highlight softer and more diffuse.

If you are having problems lighting the image, or you want it to appear similar to a TV or computer screen, then you can copy and paste the image from the Color channel into the Glow channel.

You can also use movie files or image sequences if you want the image animated. You would still do as de3an suggested and choose, Texture Map from the pulldown menu. Instead of navigating to a still image, you would navigate to your movie file.