Error opening Daz Studio (Open GL issue)

For the last few days (no prgram updates or graphics cards updates have occured and all drivers and programs are up to date), I have had an issue where if I started a render and had to cancel it to fix something, the render would not ever cancel out and allow me access to teh GUI again. It would instead, after cancel confirmation, move to a non-responding state and force me to kill it via task manager. Upon restarting Daz it would get an error stating I am on a previous version of Open GL and Open GL 1.3 is required and instructs me to get an update from my graphics card manufacturer (running a fully updated Geforce 960M). 

I have to restart the the entire computer to clear this error and open daz studio again. Please assist.

Comments

• How long are you waiting after cancelling the render? It does have to wait for Iray to release control before the application can become responsive.

Does you system have a GPU on the CPU, as well as the nVidia chip? It's possible that it is reverting to that after the force-quit, perhaps because a process hasn't properly released, and so a system restart is needed to clear the decks.

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 280
    It would be faorbto say I wait u til the entire computer locks up and becomes unresponsive, plus 20 mintutes. I do have a GPU on my CPU and a Dedicated card as well. I have only the Dedicated card box checked on advanced settings.

bigger issue... Render seems to crash every time. Sometimes between 10% in sometimes 80% in... no rhyme or reason. it's a graphics card issue for sure on the BSoD, just not sure why and if it's all related?

• You might want to do a full driver uninstall and reisntall, with DDU, but it does sound as if it might be a serious issue with the machine.

I have reinstalled the drivers once already, I do not think it's a Graphics Card issue. those don't generally surface at random times during the render. they have always occured before the first iteration is written (for me). The closest thing to this would be if the memory ran out, but this is far from the largest or most compllex render I have done. I cleared my error log before starting this render and I will be saving it and probably have to send it to tex support for resolution. I had thought it might have been the materials as I APPEARED to be having issues with one of the character's mats before. redoing all of them and saving the Skin Builder Mat had resolved this issue, but that might been a coincidence. 

So the issue does appear to be with Daz. nothing else causes any issue at all and the PC runs flawlessly. I will either have to wait for an updated Daz or an updated driver... or both. 

• davegvdavegv Posts: 164
    edited July 2022

Coryllon said:

So the issue does appear to be with Daz. nothing else causes any issue at all and the PC runs flawlessly. I will either have to wait for an updated Daz or an updated driver... or both. 

I Say: 

• Windows: Go to OpenGL Extensions Viewer (Windows) to download and install the OpenGL Extensions Viewer.
    • the current open GL version is 4.3 ... I think you need to update the version you are useing this is not the same as updateing your NVidia driver ( or whatever gpu driver you use )
    • However Not all current Graphics cards will support all versions of open GL - so if daz requires a certain version  check that your card supports that version.
    • I think Daz requires Open GL version 4.1 as a minimum
    Post edited by davegv on
    I can see OpenGL4.3 (I think .3) load in the log file. I have it. More over I didn't lose it when I upgraded to the latest version and most certainly it doesn't suddenly get downgraded after I close Daz (or it crashes) to OpenGL 1.1.
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838

I suspect that your 960 is being "tied up" with what ever is going on with Iray, with the result it's no longer available for use by your laptop. The laptop is then switching to the integrated GPU, which is probably running the basic drivers that comes with every copy of windows, which means OpenGL 1.1.

So, if this is true, this would have been happening for years, the only thing to have changed it would be the upgrade of Daz Studio.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420
    edited July 2022

The GTX 960M has only 4GB's of VRAM and as 'small' Maxwel generation, has been deemed deprecated, meaning that support will be dropped sometime in the near future.

With a 4GB GTX card, you have probably been rendering with CPU as the baseload of the OS, DS, RTX emulation and the scene together with the required working space, eat up that 4GB's already with no room for geometry and textures.
    You didn't mention, how much RAM you have, but if you are running out and using virtual memory (drive space) as an extension, according to some previous threads, DS does not like it. Just as DS does not seem to play nice with hardware that's just barely enough.

You could go back to something like DS 4.10 if you still have the installation files, as that is a version which doesn't use 1GB of VRAM to emulate the RTX functions in software and going back to W7 would free about 800MB's of VRAM as W10 reserves 1GB of VRAM just for the fun of it.

Using the latest software, means that the hardware have to be updated as well to meet the 'updated' minimum requirements. In this respect, I think Bejaymac is on the spot - You are trying to do something that is beyond the capabilities of the 960M and when it gives up, the system defaults to the integrated GPU that's not up to the specs required.

Post edited by PerttiA on

So if I restarted my PC and started from a clean base. I could start Daz, open a project. close Daz. wait somewhere between 5 minutes and 2 hours for Daz to close on it own as irt slowly starts releasing my RAM OR force it to give up the RAM with task manager (same results), and then, without changing anything else, I would be unable to restart Daz because it Daz will then tell me I have OpenGL 1.1 and I need 1.3 or higher, BUT I still have OpenGL 4.x or whatever I have. To open Daz again, I need to restart my entire PC again. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Coryllon said:

So if I restarted my PC and started from a clean base. I could start Daz, open a project. close Daz. wait somewhere between 5 minutes and 2 hours for Daz to close on it own as irt slowly starts releasing my RAM OR force it to give up the RAM with task manager (same results), and then, without changing anything else, I would be unable to restart Daz because it Daz will then tell me I have OpenGL 1.1 and I need 1.3 or higher, BUT I still have OpenGL 4.x or whatever I have. To open Daz again, I need to restart my entire PC again. 

When your 960M has given up, you don't have OpenGL 4.whatever until you start your computer again and revive the 960M. 

I have failed over to RAM on early every render for years. Additionally until recently he has never "killed" my grqphics card. and forced me to reboot just to load close daz and open another.