Black hair renders grey

Hi there,

i saw the nice promo pictures for DJ Thea today and once again wondered why my renders with Matilda hair never turn out this way: What is supposed to be black turns out grey, see the attempt with Rosa Maria I've attached. It's not the first hair I had this problem with, and it does not go away with different light setups. Can someone help me?

rosa.png
380 x 494 - 255K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646
    edited July 2022

Link: https://www.daz3d.com/matilda-hair-for-genesis-8-females

Try to turn top coat weight and color somewhat down.

There seems to be a lot of reflectivity in the hair, so maybe also reduce glossy.

Matilde_hair.png
    1300 x 731 - 2M
    Post edited by felis on
  • arne207arne207 Posts: 153

Thanks a lot, felis! I found something interesting: The top coat weight slider is on the far right, but has the value "<?>". Once I click it, it turns to "1.00". The Top Coat Color was also on "<?>". Changing that helped a lot, I'm still fiddling with it.

Cheers!

• That would indicate that two or more surfaces were selected and not all had the same value.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

Richard Haseltine said:

That would indicate that two or more surfaces were selected and not all had the same value.

Yes, the scalp has different values than the rest. 

You're both right, of course - another thing learned. Still fiddling, still can't quite get rid of a kind of greyish tint at the edges.

12.png
    820 x 952 - 854K
  • TogireTogire Posts: 402
    edited July 2022

Try to set opacity a .99 instead of one. In general, it fixes many problems in hair rendering.

Post edited by Togire on

Thanks for replying! You mean "cutout opacity"? Just tried that, with no noticable difference.

• TogireTogire Posts: 402
    edited July 2022

Yes cutout opacity.

You can also try to reduce SSS.

Here are two renders I just made with matilda Hair. One is with the original settings, the other with SSS=0, Cutout  opacity .99. Besides that no difference (1000 iterations, DS4.15).

T-SSS-op1.png
    512 x 288 - 131K
    T-noSSS-op99.png
    512 x 288 - 125K
    Post edited by Togire on
    edited July 2022

Just tried that as well, don't see that much of a difference though - left is SSS 100%, right 0%, and both at cutout opacity 0.99.

12.png
    2000 x 1203 - 4M
    Post edited by arne207 on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

alainmerigot said:

Yes cutout opacity.

You can also try to reduce SSS.

Here are two renders I just made with matilda Hair. One is with the original settings, the other with SSS=0, Cutout  opacity .99. Besides that no difference (1000 iterations, DS4.15).

The issue shown in the before picture was an issue with Iray that's gone away since.

The issue  has come up before and was discussed in this thread, and there isn't one solution that works for all hair.  Perhaps you can find some help there.

dear Hairmakers.. - Daz 3D Forums

For the Matilda Hair, try darkening the Translucency colour.  Here's a preview before and after in a mix of DS Standard HDRI and 8500k Spots with geometry.

Before

After

A lot will depend on your lighting though.  In a dimly lit scene, you may end up finding this too dark to see detail.

edited July 2022

That helps a lot, especially when also changing the Top Coat Weight. thanks!

Post edited by arne207 on