Is there a way to make invisible gobo's?

Is there a way to make invisible gobo's for use with invisible light sources?

Comments

• What do you mean? You could apply a map to the Emission Colour if this is Iray and you are using an emissive object, though that would probably blur out very quickly with distance..

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited July 2022

Hello Richard.

Thank you for your response.

I think of a "gobo" as a flat plane or narrow cube with a pattern on/in it so that a light can pass through the pattern part.

Also the gobo can be like a stained glass window so that colored light can pass through it.

To put these in a scene (in front of the camera) I can use a ghost light and the light object will not be visilble when rendered in Iray just the light effects.

But how to make a gobo invisible so that it can also be in a scene and not be visible to the camera in Iray except for the effects of the light passing through the gobo onto the objects in the scene.

I need a way to make siblings (the gobo) visible only to the invisible light source.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • Yes, I understood what you wanted - but the answer, as far as I know, is that you cannot have an invisible object cast shadows (and of course ghost lights are in any event not working in the same way in the latest version of Iray)

Movie studio: We need invisible objects to cast shadows.

Nvidia: No. 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

So you are wanting an object, that to some lightrays is visible (cast shadows), but to other lightrays is invisible.

And what if the first lightray is reflected and comes back to the object, shall it then act as not visible?

Disable Mesh Lights / Ghost Lights EASY in Daz Studio 4.21+ Beta

It seems that Nvidia heard my request. (Thank you Nvidia and Daz!)

I have not tried this out yet but it seems my request has been made possible.

A mesh light that casts light but is invisible. I am not sure if this will work as I think it should.

If it does work as I think it should this has some very far reaching applications.

Colorize your VDBs with invisible mesh lights!

http://youtube.com/@daz3dtv

I will be demonstrating live on my daz3dtv YouTube channel how these new invisible mesh lights work in Daz Studio Beta at 5pm ET today

• RexRed said:

I will be demonstrating live on my daz3dtv YouTube channel how these new invisible mesh lights work in Daz Studio Beta at 5pm ET today

I enjoyed watching RexRed's YT stream today.  The effects he was getting were amazing.  So glad I took the time to watch.  Take a look if you're interested in invisible mesh lights (and single light source multicolor VDB illumination). 

Thank you, RexRed!

Lee

edited January 2023

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

RexRed said:

I enjoyed watching RexRed's YT stream today.  The effects he was getting were amazing.  So glad I took the time to watch.  Take a look if you're interested in invisible mesh lights (and single light source multicolor VDB illumination). 

Thank you, RexRed!

Lee

Lee, it was awesome having you in the, what turned out to be, 8 hour long live video! 

Please visit again soon buddy, your presence was very fun! Best to you, and thanks for sharing my video with the peeps here!

YouTube @Daz3DTV

Post edited by RexRed on
  • 3DBerlin3DBerlin Posts: 105

The ONLY youtuber making long videos with Daz, I think Rex is great and enjoy his tutorials!