Trying to move individual characters already saved in a scene to another scenes

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Daz 3D and have been playing around with creating characters.  I made some with some pretty major changes to each of the characters (size, skin, mixing models) and cannot remember now, how or what I used on each individual character which there are 4 all of which have been saved in the scene and not individually.  Was wondering if someone knows a simple way or point me in right direction for me to save /move/export these characters out of the scene, so they can be used in other scenes more easily as I think I'm going down the wrong path by trying to save Character Presets as this does not seem to be working for me as not showing on Smart Content or Content Library panels, I've have looked on UT all to no avail and am thinking I might just have to start from scratch.

Hopefully someone has some simple instructions on how I can do this and if it's possible.

Cheers

Comments

• TogireTogire Posts: 402

You can save the characters as a scene subset. Just untick eveything but the character on the save form. You can save or not the char with the hair, cloth, etc, depending on what you tick.

You can later recall this char. Note that nothing will appear as a char and be visible either in the smart content or content library. You must remind where he/she has been saved.

• If it's just shape and amterials you want you can also save a Character preset, which can be used to modify a selected figure of the same basic type or to load a new figure.

• Thx guys, that really helped.

• pzrldraltpzrldralt Posts: 29

I do this all the time. Make the character first and save it as a seperate scene. From "NEW" build the scene your and save that alone. Reload the character, dress as desired and use the merge scenes function to import the character into the selected scene. This way the same character is easily redressed for any scene you desire.

• I'm wondering what the limitations are with "Save as Scene Subset". Suppose I load a G8 figure, shape it, add clothing/hair + a few geoshells, a bunch of props plus environment, and save it as "Scene1". Then I save the figure with all of the applied surface settings, clothing, hair, and geoshells as a scene subset "SScharacter1". Later on I decide to delete "Scene1" since I don't need it anymore. Does deleting the scene from which the figure was saved separately as a scene subset have any kind of an impact on the scene subset assets?

I do know that if, for example, I make skin modifications with Skin Builder and fail to separately save or move the textures out of the temp folder, deleting any one scene that uses them will also cause the modified textures to be deleted as well. So any scene or asset that still uses them will throw up errors when loading because the textures no longer exist.

It really is a time saver. I remember not knowing about this a while back and it was such a pain loading scenes and having to sift through & delete stuff. laugh

• The Scene Subset wil refer to back-end assets (in the data folder, not the scene file) or elements within its own data, not to a separate  scene file.