Real Hair Shaders for dForce and Strand-Based Hairs rendering hair pitch black on Iray.

Hello there!

I recently bought Real Hair Shaders for dForce and Strand-Based Hairs by chevybabe25 and I'm a little lost here. When applied it renders Black. Pitch Black. I tried different hairs, old, new... different lights (HDRI, Primitives, pre-made sets) but it looks that I can't get the shaders to work - meaning I don't know what I'm doing wrong because the product is listed as compatible with DAZ 4.20 and I'm pretty sure it works fine and it's my bad - .

I recently upgraded to DAZ 4.20 and I know there was an issue with some hair products in the early days of the release. I bought it yesterday sooo, yeah, I wasn't able to RTFM yet.

Do I have to click a magic button anywhere in the options?

I'm running the last Nvidia Studio Driver.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

Comments

• The cpmpaiblity always points to the current version, since there isn't  alanding page for older versions. In this case the issue may well be the changes to the way Thin Film behaves.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657
    edited July 2022

Are you using it on strandbased hair?

So only the hair is rendering black, while the character and others are fine?

How does it look in the viewport? Does it have color there?

Can you see the materials are applied in the surface tab?

Are you getting any errors while loading the material? Log is in Help > Troubleshooting > View log file.

Link to product: https://www.daz3d.com/real-hair-shaders-for-dforce-and-strand-based-hairs

Post edited by felis on
  • Thanks for the answers!

I' ll read about troubleshooting thin film issues.

No errors loading the material. Viewport pitch black. Yes, the materials are loading.And yes I applied it to strand based hairs. Several, in fact.

As I said I'm pretty sure I'm the one doing it wrong.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2022

If you look at the surfaces tab on the hair you are applying it to, does it look like the shader is applied?

You should be able to see things listed like "root color" and "tip color"

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Do you have the Nvidia Iray vMaterials version 1.7 and its version of Materials Exchange installed? People have reported conflicts with that and some custom shaders in Daz Studio version 4.20. It makes those things render black. The vMaterials are something optional you would have had to download directly from Nvidia. They are not in the Daz Store. So if you have not done that, that is not the problem.

The Real Hair Shaders do work for me in DS 4.20. I have the vMaterials version 2.0 installed, not 1.7. (But vMaterials are not needed at all for Real Hair Shaders!)

• Be sure you have loaded a hair product that uses the dForce or Daz strand-based hair. What hair product are you using?
    • Be sure you select the hair strands in the Scene pane, not the hair cap. You may have to expand the hair cap to see the hair strands that are parented to the cap.
    • Be sure you select the hair strand surfaces in the Surfaces pane.
    • The Real Hair Shaders have a lot of material options. Be sure you are applying one of the Hair colors first and not just one of the utilities like Tip Length.
    • Do a real render; don't just look at the viewport. Even Iray preview will not show you the final rendered hair by default. You would have to make settings changes to see it in the viewport.
    Select the hair.jpg
    369 x 484 - 28K
    Select hair surfaces in Surfaces pane.jpg
    701 x 705 - 115K
    Select hair shader in Content Library.jpg
    409 x 175 - 18K
    Mika 8 Voila Hair Real Hair Shader.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M