Make water more realistic whenever it touches ground terrain

Hello everyone! After many years of practice, I finally call for your help! I've been a huge Bryce fan for many years now even though it has its ups and downs, but here I am and still working with it!

I've been learning Bryce practically on my own devices by trying random things over time, but it is only recently that I started digging through tutorials, guides etc to see what it is that I could be doing wrong. As a backstory, I am using Bryce to render terrains for an old video game called Original War since the guys who worked on in the late 90s used Bryce to generate terrains. If you are curious, you may have a look at their Bryce terrains here and there. And so my goal is to do the same! I was even lucky to interview two of their designers (one by video call, another one by mail) who worked on those terrains and gather a bit of information as well as some Bryce materials they used back then. This would be one of my best works on Bryce so far (it's a huge top-view map, dimensions 6818x4674, which has no trees or grass because those are handled by the game directly): 

Bryce map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJLPe_ZU_7OfNmOLeAPsHpVR1lgXtZ_v/view?usp=sharing

And so despite of all the above, there is still something which I haven't managed to do and thought maybe some of you could help me with. I rendered a test animation (so you could understand my issue a bit better - some things are a bit strange in that test animation, don't pay attention to them please :P):

Animation link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rBrlibnfeEDkyusweJsCAwLt5hFo3RBM/view?usp=sharing

How would you add some kind of effect such as foams or whatever that makes it more realistic whenever water touches ground? 

Thank you very much for reading me and I wish you a good day and sorry for bothering you!

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

nao - welcome to this forum. I am afraid, I am not into animation and games, which also are animations, so not much help can expected from me. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for at https://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

• Nao, hey! I liked your guide in Steam about using Bryce for Original War maps. Did you take it down? That's hugely making me sad, I used to choose it as "favorite guide showcase" on my user profile...

As for the question, I don't know much on animation yet, but there are some tutorials about foams in Bryce overall e.g. in videos from David Brinnen. Maybe that knowledge (which is aimed at still renders) can also be applied onto animation tricks. 

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Not positive, but what your trying to accomplish with water shore line rendering in top isometric view probably can't be accomplished ( IMO ). Bryce procedural texture strongly depend a Slope & Altitude to break the color & shapes of the texture. In top view Bryce doesn't use those 2 attributes. I would try just animation the bump on the water using the texture window  translation tools key framing.( scale, movement & rotation tools ) Also remember Filtering, noise, frequency, color &  blending modes between the3 windows  in the DTE can be keyframe to. 

Unreal 5 is a free easy to learn 3D gaming engine with many free resources that is top of the line. It will do 3d for most any kind of animation production.  Film Gaming ect.  Bad new you need a very strong system & graphics card for it to  run smooth ,with little crashing..

If your into Animation. For gaming or video production Here is a great site (ProductionCrate) with plenty of free FX effects, Sound, Images Material, models & more. Just be warned that their Tex maps are huge & need to be resized to 512X512 to use in Bryce

Here is a 10 sec. Video Challenge I did using 2 of my Bryce landscapes & some of their FX & Sound assets.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

Cool video S Ray

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

S Ray - agreed, cool video. Nice HDRI used as backdrop at the end.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Well made video S Ray.