SOLVED - Problems simulating dforce upside down hair

RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 236

I'm using this hair, dforce soft classic hair: https://www.daz3d.com/soft-classic-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-and-81-females and just can't get it to simulate properly upside down, the hair rests at an unrealistic and awkward angle. I tried increasing the gravity, didn't work. Cou;dn't find anything in the other threads of the same topic as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

Post edited by RobertDy on

Comments

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 473

Try decreasing the density on the hair in the surfaces tab under the dforce settings. If I remember right Linday's hair has a density setting around 5000. I usually lower it to 1000, or even 500 if I really need it weightless. You could also try simulating to an animated timeline and then you could just pick the best frame to use. (Or you could use both options) 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited July 2022

Problemcould be how dForce weights have been defined. You might need to modify the weight smoothing (gradient from blue to red-grey).

Select any hair in the scene tab. If it's a hair bundle that already has dForce, then weights are defined. In order to see those, select the Node Weight Brush Tool, then : Create > New dForce Modifier Weight Node. Select that in the scene tab and now you can see colored weights in the viewport.

Check the Tool Settings tab for more options. And right click in the viewport to see all the geometry selection options DAZ offers (Right Click > Geometry Selection), to define weights on a selection (Right Click >  Weight Editing), to assign selections to new Surfaces (in order to eventually change the behaviour of some parts of the hair during simulation), etc.

It takes some time getting used to all those tools. But if you want the best out of an already made hair bundle, you gotta dirty your hand in the engine a bit ;)

Linday hairs weight is usually full red except the very root. I can't check that bundle as I don't own it. If it's the case, then indeed it could be something related to density in the Surface Tab or gravity of your scene.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300
    edited July 2022

You don't need to do any of the above.

Hair works fine upside down.  You need to apply the Simulation Settings that come with the hair, which turn OFF Start Bones from Memorized Pose.  This is the simulation stopped at 50%.

If you want your hair less fluffy, and don't want to have to watch it during simulation, you can change Self Collide to OFF in the Simulation section of the Surface settings and let the simulation run its course as below.  In either case, you can stop the simulation once the hair looks like you want it.

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 236

Thanks, I tried what Sevrin said and it worked perfectly. For my own leaning, I'll give what skyewolfe and hansolocambo said a try on other hair products. Thanks again everyone for the gracious help!