iRay crashes while rendering certain shaders

UnseenArtworksUnseenArtworks Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

So, here's the problem:

DAZ Studio crashes almost everytime I try to render an image via iRay. And the reason seems to be completely random. But I figured out at least one (quite weird) cause of the constant crashes:

If you use a Shader with a metallicity-value above 0 and add a texture map to the base-color-node DAZ Studio crashes most of the time.

Again, this is quite random and possibly it just doesn't work for me :( because on other surfaces the shader and the texture map run without any trouble...

Does anyone understand what I mean ^^ and does somebody has a clue how to stop DAZ Studio from crashing?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What operating system are you using, and what are your machine specs, RAM, processor, and are you using an NVidia card or just rendering in CPU mode only?

• UnseenArtworksUnseenArtworks Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I'm using Win8.1 Por 64 bit
    GraCa: GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K
    CPU: 3,40GHz
    RAM: 32 GB

If it's a hardware problem, I'm hopeful because I just ordered a GeForce GTX Titan and await it to arrive tomorrow :B

UPDATE: I'm still munching on this goddamn texture... If I apply the exact same shader on a newly loaded armor-pice which is not fit to a figure yet - it works...

The Error-Log also show's me that DAZ studio travels to some archaic folders somewhere on long abandoned storage-devices during rendering. Folders that do not exist anymore... Dafuq!

edited December 1969

Any ideas yet? :( I tried to re-fit all the armor from scratch but no use. DAZ Studio keeps crashing.

edited December 1969

The Error-Log also show’s me that DAZ studio travels to some archaic folders somewhere on long abandoned storage-devices during rendering. Folders that do not exist anymore… Dafuq!

Sorry, I have been away for a while.

Can you please explain the above statement a bit more fully? Can you post an example from the log (not all of it) that shows DAZ Studio using storage devices that are no longer there, that sounds like it may be a major problem in itself.

Your system specs are more than adequate for running Iray, and I haven't heard of anyone having problems like yours. If you can definitely replicate the problem, can you please file a bug report with the Help desk.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If it's looking for files that aren't there...the scene should throw errors when loading. If it's just doing it at render time, then we really need more info...log, etc.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I tried to put the log file as attachment here but it wouldn't let me send the post...

But guys, tell you what: it WAS a hardware-problem -.-

I built in my new graphics card today and launched a test-render with no real hope it would work. But son of a gun rendered the goddamn picture with no trouble...

I'll test it further this afternoon to see if DAZ can handle every texture I throw at it, but so far I see a glimpse of hope...

edited December 1969

If you've got a recurring problem, you close Studio, go to the folder where your log file lives (somewhere in Application Data or something like that) and delete that large one...then start Studio and do the action that causes the problem. That will give a 'clean' log...then just post the part AFTER all the loding stuff (if the initial loading of Studio isn't the problem...).

Or you can just copy the part of the log around the problem...like a shader load problem or something.

edited December 1969

Could you give me another hint? ;) I can't find it :(

edited December 1969

321nimb said:
    Could you give me another hint? ;) I can't find it :(

C:\Users\<<em>Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt

That is where the log file is stored on my PC
    edited December 1969

And mine is...

/mnt/Daz/drive_c/users/mjc/Application Data/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt

Which translates into 'Windows'
    C:\users\mjc\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt

edited December 1969

Thank you :-) I found and deleted it. As soon as the next crash arrives I'll upload the fresh log.