Is it or will it be possible to convert morphs from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3?

SandmanGFXSandmanGFX Posts: 75
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anyone know? I'm especially interested in converting morphs that I have created myself

Comments

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited December 1969

I don't know, but I would not count on it, looks like there are many changes in the geometry so I think it will be difficult to get morphs to work across from G2 to G3.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993
    edited December 1969

Check this thread, the last page or two: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2015

Does anyone know? I'm especially interested in converting morphs that I have created myself

Depending on morphs, but generally you can do it even without Gen-X.
    There are several ways to do it, but the one I use goes like that:

1. Make sure that Shown Hidden Properties option in Parameters is checked.
    2. Load fresh G3F and zero it. Set Resolution level to Base and Subdivision Level to zero.
    3. In Parameters, in Hidden/Clones, find Genesis 2 Female clone and dial it to 100%
    4. Export it as obj, File -> Export. I usually use Hexagon scale, 100%, with everything (except Ignore Invisible Nodes) unchecked.
    The scale could be any, but it should be consistent for Export and Import (100% inches, or mm, or cm, etc)
    Name the file something like G3F G2F Base.obj

5. Clear up the scene and load G2F, zero it.
    6. Import the G3F G2F Base.obj into scene, it should pretty much overlap with base G2F figure.
    7. Open Transfer Utility, use G2F base figure as a source, and your obj as a target.
    In options below leave all as it is
    You can use Morphs->From Source -> All to transfer all morphs to G3F or you can do them one by one. I usually do them one by one, like in this tutorial. I also usually uncheck From Projection Template and Overwrite Existing in Morphs.
    Fit new conforming G3F to G2F like clothes. Don't add any smoothing modifiers or Sub-D.
    8. Dial your morph 100%. G3F should automatically follow it, although some inner mouth morphs and drastic shapes might not work.
    9. Make G2F figure invisible. Export the G3F morphed figure as obj, for example, G3F G2F Custom Morph_1.obj
    10. Zero G2F (G3F will zero as well) and dial the next morph in G2F, save as new G3F obj, and keep going like that for all morphs you'd like to transfer. Don't save the G3F 'conforming' figure, it is just temporary.

11. Clean the scene, load new G3F figure, zero it. Dial Genesis 2 Female shape to 100% from Hidden/Clones
    12. Start Morph Loader Pro, and chose your G3F G2F Custom Morph_1.obj as a Morph File.
    Give it a name as you wish, and set Reverse Deformation to 'yes'; optionally set up Property Group to the one you wish. Now you should have a morph that, when combined with Genesis 2 shape from Hidden/Clones will give you a desired custom morph.
    If you leave Reverse Deformation as 'no' then your morph will have Genesis 2 shape embedded in it which might turn ugly on default G3F figure.

13. It is not always necessary but it is useful to do ERC Freeze on morphs, so they'd adjust skeleton of the figure with the shape. It isn't needed for small morphs but for any change in proportions or weight, it might be useful. It can be done manually but there is thankfully an automated option which works very well with the majority of morphs.

14. To do ERC Freeze, select your G3F figure with your Custom Morph_1 dialed to 100% (no other morphs should be in effect) and go to Edit-> Figure -> Rigging -> Adjust Rigging to Shape.
    Adjust Center Points and Adjust End Points should always be checked, but Adjust Orientation might be good on or off for different morphs. I usually check it on. Click accept.
    15. If you don't have ERC Freeze set up as hotkey, go to Window->Panes->Property Hierarchy window and _right_ click on this window when it pops up. Chose ERC Freeze (it should be the only one non-greyed option).
    16. In ERC Freeze window Node is Genesis 3 Female, Property is your currently active Custom Morph. Don't change anything else but make sure that all three options at bottom (Restore Figure, Apply Control Property and Restore Figure Rigging) are checked on. Click accept.

17. To save your morph zero your figure (so no morphs are dialed anything above 0 and check so your Genesis 2 Female clone is also zero)
    Go to File -> Save As -> Support Asset(s) -> Morph Asset(s). Find your morph under Genesis 3 Female in a group you put it in (like Actor, Morphs, etc) and check it on. I usually don't compress files but even if checked it won't affect the performance.

You now should have your morph for G3F. Repeat steps 12-17 for each morph you wish to transfer.
    I'd also suggest to make your own G2F shape for G3F (instead of using the clone) by importing G3F G2F Base.obj back to G3F figure though morph loader pro and doing adjusted rigging/ERC freeze on it as per usual morph.

There are faster and/or different ways which work better for some people. In my signature there is a rather long thread for Genesis/G2X transfers which still mostly works if you put G3F instead of G2F and G2F instead of Genesis.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • SandmanGFXSandmanGFX Posts: 75
    edited December 1969

Wow! Thank you so much!!! Never thought about treating G3's geometry like conforming clothing.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2015

You are welcome :)
    Here you can find a lot of different ways and methods, some of them work better for people than mine (which is kind of slow). Some of tutorials are slightly imprecise (as previously Restore Figure Rigging in ERC Freeze worked differently) but they might be still useful for you. They are for Mil4/Genesis/G2X mostly but the principle works with G3F as well.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Kattey's thread is very useful. I have used it for G1 to G2, and recently for G2 to G3.