I am beginner to Daz Studio, I have tried my luck in vain...

Comments

• Halcon BlueskyHalcon Bluesky Posts: 278
    edited September 2022

@SofaCitizen, you have to pay a visit to the page zombietaggerung has mentioned.

There are plenty of HDRI and very nice props as well.

You can use these for your projects as well.

I will try to see if any of these can fit well for the renders, if anything goes well I may try to enter this month freebies contest.

So I try my luck with any kind of work, wish me luck.

And good luck to you as well! smiley

Post edited by Halcon Bluesky on
  • @SofaCitizen, When I visited Polyhaven, I tried to download some of the content there without success.

Then, I had to whitelist the page in the adblocker extension in chrome, (the same can be done with Microsoft Edge)

I use a download manager, I had to deactivate and reactivate again.

now for the HDRI files is working and I had deactivated before the download manager in order to download the zip files.

The free props, depending on what you need, must be extracted from the Zip file to a new folder.

Then, if you have Blender installed open the blender file, from there export the file as obj extension (not the experimental chose the other) to any desired folder.

When you open Daz Studio import the obj file you have exported from Blender.

I am awaiting response about the HDRI files how to use it in another thread.

• Catherine3678ab said:

You have your scene set, your render camera selected, you render the image. After the render is finished [many can safely be stopped sometime after 70% IF it appears to be done] and you noticed an oopsie ... you do not need to redo the entire image.

Select the Spot Render tool and the Tool Pane must be open too. In the Tool Pane select to New Window. Then using the Spot Render tool [little camera up top] select the area that you want redone. Then D/S will render just that area BUT to the full size of the page size of the original. Then in an image editor, on the large .png file with the little image - paint a dot at the 4 corners of the full page. Layer it on top of the original image and then erase those 4 dots of paint. Merge the images together :-)

{the purpose of painting corners is to keep the position of the smaller image exactly where it should be -- whether or not it matters depends upon the order in which one copy/pastes images into their image editor}

As for optimiser plugins; they certainly can prove helpful but are not absolutely necessary. Generally speaking, esp. for any distant models, on the Surface Tab select all the surfaces, in the search box type "normal" and then click on the image box and select 'none.' Also one does not require 8k texture images on distant figures. 2K or even 1K might be just fine. 8k and 4k are more for close-ups and/or extreme detail close-ups.

Ahh, yes, I have read about that but have yet to put it to use.  Unfortunately, I am still at the stage where there is normally more than 1 thing to correct but I still could have used the spot-rendering to be a bit more efficient. In the last one I did have a building that was hovering a few feet above the floor - mainly because I think I must have hit the "move to floor" button which did not have the desired affect since the "floor" in the environment I was using was the pavement and the ground that the building should have sat on was below that. That one was probably easier fixed with a bit of photosop but I also needed to change some of the poses of the drivers in the vehicles which I could have done with spot renders for each and saved some time.

Perhaps I need to tweak my settings somewhat - none of my renders have looked anywhere close to done at 70% so they have definitely needed to continue well into the 90+ range to give a completed look. There are so many options in there that I don't really know the actual effect they have and so I need to add those to my reading list too.

• Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, you have to pay a visit to the page zombietaggerung has mentioned.

There are plenty of HDRI and very nice props as well.

You can use these for your projects as well.

I will try to see if any of these can fit well for the renders, if anything goes well I may try to enter this month freebies contest.

So I try my luck with any kind of work, wish me luck.

And good luck to you as well! smiley

Yes, I have used that site before - I think most of the HDRIs I have used so far have been from there - they certainly have some very good ones :) I think I have used some of the textures too before. None of the models so far but only because there wasn't one I have needed for a scene yet - I am sure that will change soon enough.

The September Freebie challenge topic doesn't appear to be up yet but I am sure it will be tomorrow. Hopefully it will be something that inspires an idea in both of us :)

@SofaCitizen, When I visited Polyhaven, I tried to download some of the content there without success.

Then, I had to whitelist the page in the adblocker extension in chrome, (the same can be done with Microsoft Edge)

I use a download manager, I had to deactivate and reactivate again.

now for the HDRI files is working and I had deactivated before the download manager in order to download the zip files.

Ahh, well I don't use any download managers or anything like that. I do have uBlock Origin installed but that didn't give me any troubles. I'm glad you got the site working in the end tho.

• @Sofacitizen, the September Challenge is going on now until the 30th, is something like dept of field.

• Halcon Bluesky said:

@Sofacitizen, the September Challenge is going on now until the 30th, is something like dept of field.

That challenge is in the newcomers forum - I am trying to think up an idea for that one and so far no ideas have sprung to mind.  There will also be a separate September challenge in the Freebies forum also tho.

• @SofaCitizen, have you managed to add HDRI to the renders or not yet?

If you look at the forum threads there is one heading with the HDRI, the most recent one, I don't know where the damned Environment map is in the Render Settings.

I would like to use some of the HDRI files I got from Polyhaven.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633
    edited September 2022

Step 1: Create New Environment Options Node

Step 2: Select it in the Scene tab

Step 3: In Render settings tab click Environment 

Step 4: Click the image to browse to where ever you saved the HDRi on your computer

1.png
    570 x 688 - 106K
    2.png
    510 x 742 - 31K
    3.png
    817 x 1031 - 188K
    4.png
    389 x 903 - 58K
    Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,035

I checked out Jug 01, and that has an FBX download option. You can uncheck the Blend and GLTF options and just get the FBX, which should work fine in DS.

• Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, have you managed to add HDRI to the renders or not yet?

If you look at the forum threads there is one heading with the HDRI, the most recent one, I don't know where the damned Environment map is in the Render Settings.

I would like to use some of the HDRI files I got from Polyhaven.

Yeah, see what zombietaggerung said to enable it as it's not there by default on a fresh scene. It does also get added automatically the first time you do an iray preview too.

• @zombietaggerung, Thank you very much for your help.

Polyhaven has plenty of things, some of them, if do exist, may end up either in a museum or a private collectionist. smiley

• @SofaCitizen, I did try another experiment.

This time around added some free props from Polyhaven, the ones I got I had to import the FBX files, these were at least no problem at all, the material could not be applied.

Then I tried to put an HDRI file via Daz Studio, I used Iray and previewed it, nothing in the background to see through the windows.

I can't undertand why it does not show up the image in the background.

Next time, I will tinkering with the image via GIMP.

If I remember very well, you got a Dog, a Girl and a autility car, the highway was probably a background picture isn't; your work ended up in the gallery.

I still got bad luck and no suitable work done for the gallery.

Just let me know.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, I did try another experiment.

This time around added some free props from Polyhaven, the ones I got I had to import the FBX files, these were at least no problem at all, the material could not be applied.

Then I tried to put an HDRI file via Daz Studio, I used Iray and previewed it, nothing in the background to see through the windows.

I can't undertand why it does not show up the image in the background.

Next time, I will tinkering with the image via GIMP.

If I remember very well, you got a Dog, a Girl and a autility car, the highway was probably a background picture isn't; your work ended up in the gallery.

I still got bad luck and no suitable work done for the gallery.

Just let me know.

Check in the Render/Environment settings - there will be an option called "Show dome" or something to that effect that needs to be enabled for the HDRI to actually be displayed - I can't check properly as I am still at work.  By default the HDRI is only setup to provide lighting and so you do need to change the setting for it to actually appear in the render.

For that render I used the Forest Road environment product to provide the highway and trees etc and so I don't think there was a visible HDRI behind it. I have done a few practice/training renders with visible HDRIs in the background - I will post one in a few hours when I finish work.

EDIT: OK, the setting is actually "Draw Dome" - make sure that is set to On if you cannot see it in the render.

On the examples in stuff I have already done - there is a HDRI that is a little visible in the below render but only in the top-right corner between the trees.

There is a better example in the one I did for the freebie challenge as the HDRI is providing the view out of the window.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
    edited September 2022

@SofaCitizen, Ha, Ha, Ha! this is funny!

A woman Scared by an skunk.

Seeing the highway and a letter P in the back of the light utility car, I wonder where in the world is that!

The product you have used is costing $24.95 and the Retro Muscle Car $19.95, these items together are expensive.

I would look up in google and get something similar to add as a background.

Do all the so called artists think most Daz users have plenty money to spend on things like that?

By the way I am truggling to produce anything, out there is very hard to find free stuff, only few places, and nothing new in the freebies section. sad

EDIT - I have managed to find the setting for the HDRI, not perfect but it filled up the window, I will have to see if I can adjust more the outside view, at the moment is 2.0 the Draw Dome it  was off.

• There are more places besides here to find freebies for daz. Start with Renderosity's free stuff section and Sharecg.

• @Halcon Bluesky, well that is the cost today - but maybe not tomorrow or the day after. I am not sure when I bought those or how much I paid but there is a good chance it was when they were on sale so probably less than the current price.

Like with a lot of assets they are American originally - however that doesn't stop me making changes. So I added a UK motorway sign with real UK placenames. The "P plate" is a UK thing for drivers who have just passed their test and was easy to do using an image from illustrator applied to the surface of a standard plane. The licence plate was a bit trickier as the object was baked into the model and at the time I didn't feel confident trying to remove it and so I just made a copy of the surface texture and replaced the licence number with a UK-format one and wrote in England where it used to say California. A true UK licence plate would be a different shape - also, the driver's side is still on the left which did annoy me but since you cannot actually see the steering wheel I decided not to bother changing it. Techically I could fix it by setting the size of the width to -100% but then if I wanted to use an inside shot later on then all the instrument panels would be backwards.

Anyway, the point is that you can take something that was designed for one thing and then modify it to become something else reasonably easily. Obviously the more skill and experience you gain then you can do more and more - but some things are still possible with only a little knowlege :)

In the motel room scene that uses 100% free assets - since it was a submission for the freebies challenge. If you view the comment there then you can see links to all the assets I used. You can also checkout the other submissions for other good links to free assets. The free items that Daz has in the shop only change at the end of every other week so you have another 3 days till those refresh. In the meantime you can check the Freebie forum for plenty of stuff. There is also the Freebies section on Renderosity that you can check out - just be careful as not all their stuff is for Daz Studio.

Obviously a lot of the things that you may want will cost money. However, if you are not in a position to spend too much then there are still quite a few places that you can use to find assets for your renders - the trade off is that they are not quite as easy to install as those you purchase from the Daz Store.

edited September 2022

@SofaCitizen, So you are a Pommie.

I live in Australia, when I saw your render, I thought maybe there is another Australian.

Between both countries share some of the things that are almost similar in use.

Most people around the world drive in the Left side of the car, this is not the same in Australia, New Zealand and maybe UK.

To make cars with such outlandish requierements do cost a lot of money to the car manufacturers, many are abandoning these markets; as the driving side is universally on the left.

When I got some of the free items from Polyhaven, at first used to download the Blend version Zip, later as you may saw it, there is an FBX version that can be used with Daz Studio.

I tried one by one, these can fit well, some others need to parent it with the main thing, as some of these parts can stick togheter, then I had to position to a suitable location.

I did a render, I don't know if this is too basic; I used Iray Render instead of Texture Shaded.

It took less time than the later.

One thing I am in doubt is, do I need to fit clothes to the models on top of the underwear.

I have tried with some but this operation does not stick to these figures.

• @Halcon Bluesky, sorry, yes that's true. I'm sure there will be others here from Australia - whether they will reveal themselves or not is another question.

To be fair I did use a Pickup Truck which is hardly a vehicle that would be seen in the UK anyway so fully understandable that it is a left-hand drive configuration. Perhaps it is a type of vehicle that you would have over there tho - is that what you'd call a Ute?

For multiple levels of clothing you often do have to do a little bit extra. Obviously if underwear will not be visible then you can just not add it at all. If you have a bra and open jacket type of thing then you may have a bit of collision since they will both be parented and set to collide with the figure - therefore, you may have instances of the bra poking through the jacket. In this instance you may have to slightly increase the jacket scale to ensure that it fully encompasses the underwear.  However, both items of clothing should move with the figure - if not then the one that doesn't move is not parented to the figure correctly.

edited September 2022

@SofaCitizen, You said: "To be fair I did use a Pickup Truck which is hardly a vehicle that would be seen in the UK anyway so fully understandable that it is a left-hand drive configuration. Perhaps it is a type of vehicle that you would have over there tho - is that what you'd call a Ute?"

Yep, is called Ute, in the US this could be called a Light Truck or something else.

I saw some of the products here, that include a Jacket, a Robe or a Blouse, underneat is a bra worn or if the pose is standing may have both the Bra and the Bikini Brief if using the open Robe.

It will be tricky to mimick that into a pose, if not having such kind of products.

I looked at Renderosity for some freebies, the website has plenty, over 700+ pages, there is no way to sort the items there, just keep browsing page by page, and get whatever is of use.

Meanwhile here at Daz the freebies are meh, not really usable.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, You said: "To be fair I did use a Pickup Truck which is hardly a vehicle that would be seen in the UK anyway so fully understandable that it is a left-hand drive configuration. Perhaps it is a type of vehicle that you would have over there tho - is that what you'd call a Ute?"

Yep, is called Ute, in the US this could be called a Light Truck or something else.

I saw some of the products here, that include a Jacket, a Robe or a Blouse, underneat is a bra worn or if the pose is standing may have both the Bra and the Bikini Brief if using the open Robe.

It will be tricky to mimick that into a pose, if not having such kind of products.

I looked at Renderosity for some freebies, the website has plenty, over 700+ pages, there is no way to sort the items there, just keep browsing page by page, and get whatever is of use.

Meanwhile here at Daz the freebies are meh, not really usable.

So what exactly are you looking for at Renderosity? and over in the Freebie forum here at DAZ there are good freebies ,the freebie challenges  are a great way to find freebies to use ,and agreed some are not professional quality ,

but they are usable ,but any way are you wanting something in particular for what figure and I'l see if I can find it .

• @Halcon Bluesky, well, yes there are plenty of freebies there - the trick is to have an idea about what you are looking for and then search for that. If you are going to browse for some inspiration then perhaps you can try the Most Downloaded ones since those are likely to ones that would suit a variety of renders or are just very good. There are also sections so you can look through just Hair, Clothing, Animals, Props, and so on. Each of these you can filter down by theme, figure or some other things.

• carrie58 said:

and over in the Freebie forum here at DAZ there are good freebies ,the freebie challenges  are a great way to find freebies to use

Agreed. It's pretty interesting seeing what people can come up with using mostly free assets in that forum. Hopefully we get a September challenge soon as I am struggling for ideas with the other challenges so far.

• @carrie58, Thanks for coming to this thread,

I am looking for usable figures Male and Female, Clothes, Underwear, Footwear, Accessories and some props.

While I may need to create whatever that comes, I do not see executive clothes for both Male and Female as well.

I found some car props (these cars looks to be dusted off from a private collection or some boring museum) I do not see cars for young and energetic people the likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes has a traditional line, the designers stuck for too long and most of the models are considered for "old people"; few models have been released but these not the sex appeal of others brands.

Some decent furniture props.

I do not want to be burdersome regarding to what I have put here, only the most relevant things would be needed.

Then I will have to concentrate on any ideas that may come, I will try to see if I can achieve anything with the program.

When I have been using Daz Studio some of the poses work, others do not fit well, discard the work and try again.

Using the render preview, if going well I leave until it is done. 

• @SofaCitizen, looking for freebies have become an alphabet soup, is easy to get lost on so many things but few of these can be used.

When I have been at Polyhaven, there are few of the things that useful, others are like "Grandpa Garage storage" an old Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Television Set, a Cassette Player, old timers may rejoice to see this stuff.

Unfortunately I do not have anything of value in the garage, otherwise I would go to an auction site and get something in return. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited September 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@carrie58, Thanks for coming to this thread,

I am looking for usable figures Male and Female, Clothes, Underwear, Footwear, Accessories and some props.

While I may need to create whatever that comes, I do not see executive clothes for both Male and Female as well.

I found some car props (these cars looks to be dusted off from a private collection or some boring museum) I do not see cars for young and energetic people the likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes has a traditional line, the designers stuck for too long and most of the models are considered for "old people"; few models have been released but these not the sex appeal of others brands.

Some decent furniture props.

I do not want to be burdersome regarding to what I have put here, only the most relevant things would be needed.

Then I will have to concentrate on any ideas that may come, I will try to see if I can achieve anything with the program.

When I have been using Daz Studio some of the poses work, others do not fit well, discard the work and try again.

Using the render preview, if going well I leave until it is done. 

Well  reading your posts I keep wanting to say "Slow down a little  take a breath "  you actually should have male and female Genesis 2,3,8 ,and Genesis in your starter essentials in your account ,that also comes with clothes,and some props and poses. I'm not sure I understand when you say some of the poses work others don't fit well ? The poses don't fit your scene  or the figure isn't poseing the way you want?

Just to start here at this page is figure morphs for Genesis8F ,hair ,and a article of clothing    https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/wanted

Little hint ,take some time using just what you have right now to work with and see what you can create learn what the different tabs are hiding ,push button spin dials don't stress , I've got a thread in the Art Studio go over there and browse see what other people are doing .... oh almost forgot If it is in your budget , join the DAZ +, it is well worth it ,I wish someone had told me back when I started ......

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Halcon Bluesky said:

I do not see cars for young and energetic people the likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes

Well they do have a BMW, Audi & Toyota if that helps?

@SofaCitizen, looking for freebies have become an alphabet soup, is easy to get lost on so many things but few of these can be used.

When I have been at Polyhaven, there are few of the things that useful, others are like "Grandpa Garage storage" an old Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Television Set, a Cassette Player, old timers may rejoice to see this stuff.

Unfortunately I do not have anything of value in the garage, otherwise I would go to an auction site and get something in return. 

Not sure I am too happy being classed as an old timer since I remember CRTs and Cassette Players :P  Not that I finished it but one of the scenes I started on a few weeks back was, in essence, set in a Grandpa's living room. It didn't have room for a TV but there was an old rotary phone in there. So those assets will be useful for some people and for some scenes since we don't all want to render the same type of scenes. Perhaps you can do a scene where your favourite figure visits their grandparents and so you can then use those props?

Anyway, the point is that the best and newest vehicles are probably not going to be given away for free but will be made available for sale instead. While you are not in a position to buy up the assets that you really want, perhaps you can use the assets that you can find to render scenes to practice and get better? Therefore, when you can afford the brand new Mercedes you'll be able to use it better?

• @SofaCitizen, I have been in Renderosity webpage, I did what you told me, I looked for the most wanted, 13 pages with some of the free items; the free stuff has over 700+ pages.

In there I found one interesting item, did you guessed who is there?

zombietaggerung has made a One Bedroom House complete, I haven't seen the environment yet, I downloaded it and I will explore it later.

That is something that I really appreciate most, when some people dedicate the time to create something and give the opportunity for others to use it free.

I know there are thousounds of items for sale here at Daz and other sites as well, but in my humble opinion to start with something it must be available free and start the experimental journey.

I can't venture into something I have not fully understood, how to work with a 3D program like Daz Studio.

Also I do not have an illusion to become an instant artist overnight, nor that I can make money out of it as well in a short time.

Here I am being told to have patience, push all buttons, dials or whatever, try over and over again.

The learning curve is really uphill.

• Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, I have been in Renderosity webpage, I did what you told me, I looked for the most wanted, 13 pages with some of the free items; the free stuff has over 700+ pages.

In there I found one interesting item, did you guessed who is there?

zombietaggerung has made a One Bedroom House complete, I haven't seen the environment yet, I downloaded it and I will explore it later.

That is something that I really appreciate most, when some people dedicate the time to create something and give the opportunity for others to use it free.

I know there are thousounds of items for sale here at Daz and other sites as well, but in my humble opinion to start with something it must be available free and start the experimental journey.

I can't venture into something I have not fully understood, how to work with a 3D program like Daz Studio.

Also I do not have an illusion to become an instant artist overnight, nor that I can make money out of it as well in a short time.

Here I am being told to have patience, push all buttons, dials or whatever, try over and over again.

The learning curve is really uphill.

Yes, they also made the Motel Room I used in the freebie challenge. As you can see there are plenty of good assets that are available for free wchih will give you plenty to work with as you learn. Patience is definitely required, as with learning many things. It helps to focus on the journey and not the destination if you can. I don't know your entire situation but for me I don't really have a goal in mind while working with Daz.  Obviously, I still get a little frustrated when I don't have the skills/experience to pull of the scene I have in my head but I can still enjoy the small battles I win as I learn - like when I first learned to use the Layered Image Editor to "project" an image over the top of an existing surface texture or when I learned how to rig a static bucket object to have a handle that can fully move. I am sure there will be may other things like that along the way and it's good if you can enjoy and appreciate those rather than just focussing on an end goal whatever that may be - becoming an expert artist, making some money from commisions or selling assets of your own etc.

In an ideal work it would be great if all assets were given away for free. However, a world where currency is not required only exists in futuristic stories and is unlikely to be reality for the forseeable centuries. Some people will still choose to give things away which is very generous of them - others will, quite rightly, put their assets up for sale. Both approaches can co-exist perfectly fine with those of us who consume the assets focussing on whichever of these that suit our needs and situations.

Keep going and you will get better day-by-day. Even if you don't feel confident posting your renders you can still learn and get better by trying things out and making some renders. Perhaps you can file them away and come back in a month's time and see if you can re-do them to be better with the skills you have learned since?

• @SofaCitizen, I don't if I am going to quit or not yet.

Some of the items I got most of them free and some paid, do not work the way I do expect it.

When I tried to make a render with two or more figures, the problem that appeared, is fitting the items clothes or footwear, after changing the pose, all hell is loose.

I have tried to use Male and Female figures, depending on the type of figures G1, G2, G3 or G8; its totally frustrating to accomodate them.

• Halcon Bluesky said:

@SofaCitizen, I don't if I am going to quit or not yet.

Some of the items I got most of them free and some paid, do not work the way I do expect it.

When I tried to make a render with two or more figures, the problem that appeared, is fitting the items clothes or footwear, after changing the pose, all hell is loose.

It is a good diea to have the figure you want to wear the clothes selected when you load them - in general they will then fit or be parented to thje figure correctly and will follow the posing, though some things may need adjustmemt or simulation (especially dresses/skirts/robes).

I have tried to use Male and Female figures, depending on the type of figures G1, G2, G3 or G8; its totally frustrating to accomodate them.