Iray's black patches when figure not at zero point and getting around it

When working with a large scene, such as an island, a building or anything that isnt entirely modular, the usual trick provided by merchants is to create poses presets which will "transport" G8 and such to a given set of XYZ coordinates. It would be all and good if iRay wasn't such an idiot. I'm talking about the black patches that we get, which become worse as you move away from the center of the scene. So... if we can't move Joe Bob to the trailer park, why not move the trailer park to Joe Bob? I have experimented a bit and created a primitive, which I have placed on the spot where I'd like my figure to stand. Then, I parented the whole decor (island, in this case) to that primitive. And finally, I have reset the coordinates of that primitive. And it works: just like in Dune, Muad-dib has traveled without moving. He's still at the center of the scene and in the right spot of the decor.

The process, however, is a bit cumbersome. An idea trick would be to have several spots in a decor and be able to select one or an other, reset their coordinates and thus, making the figure stand wherever we want. As it is, the solutions I have scene only work by mesh, not by group. So I'm looking for ideas :)

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

If you switch Iray instance optimization to something else, it should recalculate what is considered world origin for the render, and thereby eliminate the black patches.

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151

You can also use a node instead of a primitive with the same process you described to bring the character back to world center, and you don't have to worry about hiding the node to avoid it being rendered.

I also like to parent environment sets to a node located at the character's location so I can rotate the entire set around the character's position instead of around the environment's center. This can be particularly useful when using lighting sets or HDRI lighting, since those products are usually set up with the expectation that the character will be at the origin and be facing forward with no Y rotation. Of course, you can rotate the lighting sets or HDRI, but when trying out a variety of them, it can be easier to rotate the set and the character first so you don't have to fiddle with rotating every lighting set you try out.

• edited July 2022

I'll be a son of a gun. I'll try that asap, Thanks, guys :)

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on