A new category of Standalone Prop called FF Fully Functional Daz Original

It's a new line of products called Daz Originals Fully Functional Props.

It'd be individual props with fine detailing and full functionality for contextual use.

For instance....

Alarm // clock - that has options to control the digital display or position of the hands. (Wrist watch the same)

Eye glasses - that can close and be folded and come with a carry case and the cleaning cloth (Eye Glasses maintenance poses as an attached product [hello team Zeddicus])

Contact Lenses - has the saline and eye presets - as if the person put the contacts in, etc...

2 Liter bottle of soda with varying levels and tilted liquid variation.(I am aware of some foods and drinks that have this already)

Shirts, but more importantly, Jackets, coats that have an open and closed version (if rigging is too difficult) and the much needed not-worn options, like folded for laundry or hanging or draped over a chair or arm.

Umbrella with open and closed options, wet and dry shaders

A Flat Screen TV or all types of TVs...vintage, monitors...Plasma etc that has an independent texture for the screen with a bunch of choices for what's on screen- from the classix fuzz to mock shows (news, Drama, action)

If a single texture was used for the screen, it'd be easier to drag & drop whatever image as new screen....that's the point there....

A (vinatge) phone that has the phone and handle separate so it can be answered and held by a figure...
Set of pens and pencils// crayons....sharp point, broken point, cap removed..broken led nib...erase that looks new and used...paper with letters// scribbles...ink smears....

Oven - doors that open and trays that slide out and glowing grill coils as if cooking- broiling and baking...

Gun(s) that has working parts, slide etc and magazine coming out and into parts for simulated cleaining....

-----

And establish this direction as a real brand of category 

So forum members in the future will ask, is the X-item Fully Functional?

And another member will point out the logo and brief description mentioning these extended features....

Comments

• I'm fine with enviroments with opening doors, clothing with dress/undress morphs, etc., but I'm not keen on this proposal.

1. The "Daz Originals" designation has nothing to do with IRL-type functionality.

2. I'd rather not have product names get even longer.  I don't know that we really need "Daz Originals Fully Functional [PA's identifying abbreviation] Paper Towel Roller for dForce Paper Towels with Poses and Expressions for Genesis 8 Female and Genesis 8.1 Female".   It's impractical for the product title to be a full product description.

3. What's the threshold for "full functionality" for props?  Does a model for a remote control need a battery compartment that opens and removable batteries?  If a beverage bottle needs different fill levels, doesn't it also need fluid rigged for pouring and spilling?  Is a pump shotgun model with a working slide and moving trigger fully functional?  But what if the ejection port doesn't open and it lacks an adjustable choke?

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

1) The reason it needs to be a Daz Original is that I wouldn't send any independent PA/Vendor on a mission to make such items for niche demand.

2) The designation is not a product title....it's the heading for Branding. Daz doesn't use the name "Daz Original Environment" appended to any...Daz....Original...Environment....I have no idea how you made that leap. lol

If you missed any of the banners or sales themes.....it could be as simple as a search choice....where the TAG is used. New products use that tag for branding.... 

There's a distinct ICON that symbolizes....you get the idea....

3. What's the threshold for "full functionality" for props?     Does it matter? We can use common sense. 

There will always be a balance of Time versus Quality versus Cost...

If you want the most super-accurate detailed gun of all time, with all those features you named, you might need to go spend $100s at another store.

A vendor made a Smoking set - with a lighter that actually opens up and has a flame....it came with a bunch of materials too.....

For those of us who use assets to much more effect than the basic background clutter in a portrait...items with added functionality are a big deal....

When I first started using Daz, LOTS of items I asked for- didn't exist...now they do and customers love them...let's keep it going.

How had no one ever made FOOD in different states of consumption?

How had no one ever made folded laundry or clothes on a hanger or rack?

Seems obvious now, didn't seem so obvious then.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    I try to do this with my freebies, is all I can say. I agree, it takes time. But it's a reasonable request to ask for items to behave as they do in the real world. The problem comes in that, in effect, you have to design the complete article again and replicate all the designer's compromises, and that is occasionally difficult. But it's a reasonable request. There are times when 100% replicating real functionality is both difficult and reduces DS functionality - here I cite my recent telescopic crutches freebie, trying to get the crutch length detent to only go in the same steps as the holes for the detent would cause unnecessary posing when full adjustment of the leg length is easier. Regards, Richard.
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693

Griffin Avid said:

If a single texture was used for the screen, it'd be easier to drag & drop whatever image as new screen....that's the point there....

This is how I always do screens in any of my products - allows for different screen options without wasting the rest of the uv-map - of course, mine are usually sci-fi of late but same idea.

I also make everything as functional as possible - there's always a trade-off, of course. In an early (contemporary) product, I had the door-bolt retracting as the handle turned ... and nobody noticed, lol. But I generally feel that if something should move IRL, it should be rigged to do so. In the (Daz Original) Spy Stuff that I made, the lighter opens and has a flame (and a laser ;) ), etc.

Can't blame any PAs that go with the majority use case though.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited July 2022

I had the door-bolt retracting as the handle turned ... and nobody noticed, lol.

That's awesome.

You know, there's this shirt and a different products' pants, had a dial for wrinkles....a morph that made the shirt/pants wrinkle. Something like that is incredible.

I have a pair of shorts that have a pulled down and pulled up morph. Things like that remain little bonuses that I discover while I'm working...

I don't think there's a way to catalog or find products with lots of features like that - probably have to ask on the forum then see if I own it lol.

------

Speaking of bolts, it'd probably be good to have at least one "Locks" product that has locks open, closed/locked and broken variants and a turnable dial for combinations....

Even a safe would work...bolt cutters.....I mean are there even scissors in the store that open and close?

All sorts of door bolts would be another release - with the door bolts like apartments with the chain.....Bolts like a cellar door...Medieval with the big swinging bar....

-------------

There are times when 100% replicating real functionality is both difficult and reduces DS functionality

Good point. Didn't think of that.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Griffin Avid said:

Even a safe would work...bolt cutters.....I mean are there even scissors in the store that open and close?

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86686/i/luxuryofficestationerypropsandposes13daz3d.jpg