Blender or zBrush for Warhammer 40K SciFi Armour?

Hi!

In the moment, I am on the "tech-trip" and I want to learn. Because I have limited time on my hand, I decided not to bother with tutorial projects (for example making an anvil) but jump on a seemingly simple project.

The idea is to recreate this amour: Thousand Sons Rubric Marine (Warhammer 40k).

Until now, I tried this in Hexagon, but the flames on the leg and the, lets call them "organic elements" are showing me the borders of Hexagon. Espacially when it comes to UV-Mapping it really gets tricky. Not only  this, OBJ from Hexagon are not accepted in Substance Painter, I have to optimize them in Ultimate Unwrap Pro.

In the various tutorials I watched, I found one from FlippedNormal which stated that for "organic modelling" zBrush is the mightier tool, while for props and hard surfaces, Blender could be the way to go.

So I want to ask those who are experienced in modelling: If you look at the image I linked, would you go for a sculpting approach or "traditional" 3D modeling?

Best wishes

Ryselle

Comments

• The answer to that is probably yes - different people would have different workflows, or might use different applications at different stages (gettin the base shape in a modeller like Blender, then adding detail in a sculpting application like ZBrush).