HDRI scaling issues.

I recently got an hdri from a free site. I don't know if it matters, but I think it's a 4k. It is an exterior scene with a sort of row of storefronts. When I loaded a character, it looked comically tiny in the environment It was free, so no great loss, but I want to know if there is something I need to look for in selecting hdri for DAZ/iray. Or if there is a fix for this issue in DAZ.

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322

Post an image so we can see the issue.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Use the camera to either Zoom in on the character or move the camera closer or bring the character closer to the camera. It just depends on what works for each HDRI.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

It sounds like a focal length mismatch. In the viewport, right-click on the magnifying glass next to the cube control and drag in or out. With a camera view, there are more controls available in the Cameras tab.

• Here's the issue.  Different HDRi (to better illustrate scale difference), same creator.    Everything loaded as default.  Camera loaded to match perspective view.  Default camera settings.  Couldn't help myself with the pose and expressions.  :)  

I don't think I'm going to be able to "zoom" my way out of this, but if I knew for sure, I wouldn't be asking. 

hdri scale sample2.png
    576 x 461 - 231K

A link to the HDRI you are using would be useful. If it is free we can use it to see the problem for ourselves.

• dave_in_tenndave_in_tenn Posts: 14
    edited August 2022

Fishtales said:

A link to the HDRI you are using would be useful. If it is free we can use it to see the problem for ourselves.

http://www.noahwitchell.com/freebies ;

The one used above is in Bundle #2.  The one I described earlier is in bundle #3.  All of them in those bundles present the same quandry.  I hate to single out such a talented and generous artist simply because I don't know what to look for, or know what I am doing,  but there is the resource asked for.

Post edited by dave_in_tenn on
  • It looks like you used Small Town 2.

From the shadow of the camera in the equirectangular image it seems a camera like a Ricoh Theta or similar has been used standing on the floor. The lens may be at 15cm above ground.

One basic problem you face with all HDRI images used not only for lighting but also for the background itself is that you basically are limited to the lens position of the HDRI. In this case your camera has to be at 15cm above ground.

IMHO this HDRI is only suited to render small animals under the car. Or shots facing outside the garage from the perspective from an animal. Again: When you use the HDRI also as a backdrop for your character!

I recommend visiting the HDRI section on Polyhaven They are all free to use (also commercially) and have usually a much higher camera level. And you can choose between a wide range of resolutions.

This is an example from my gallery where I used one:

• Thanks, Markusmatern.  Nice image and great info.  I'd not used an HDRI that didn't come with DAZ or from the DAZ store, so this came as a surprise.  I take it I should look at any previews and judge whether the original camera was at an appropriate character height if I want things to work out of the box.  Is there no way to "shrink" the HDRI to scale differently?

I usually use HDRI for lighting and for ambience or background.  Often I'll blur it with DoF.  Thanks for the link.  I'll see what turns up. 

I have to agree with @marcusmatern those HDRI would only be useful for mice or squirrels :)

• There is also a line of HDRI packages specifically made for small scale renderings:

They are called Fairy Scale IBL

The PA describes them like this:

[...]

Introducing Fairy Scale IBL! Thanks to miniaturization and dual lens technology, it is now possible to capture all the magic and wonder that waits a little closer to the ground. Now we can capture High Dynamic Range Images up in trees, under bushes, deep in the grass, or hidden under a rock. This entire line of products is shot with an actual camera height between 11 cm and 43 cm, with most of them taken at 19 cm above the ground. You can now pose your fairies and creatures in their natural habitat, not just flying high above the ground in front of some distant trees or bushes.

[...]

• Hello, regarding to the HDRI files that end with an exr Extension from Polyhaven, how do I apply to the Daz renders to be made?

I have tried to import to Daz Studio but I can't find a way to do that.

or do have to process it after the render is done in another program like GIMP?

Your invaluable advice is needed, thanks in advance for your help.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

open the render settings tab, scroll down to envirnoment map and click the little down arrow then choose browse and browse to where you have the HDRI stored. make sure the Environment Mode is set to Dome, or Dome and scene.

• @scorpio, thank you very much I will follow your advice. smiley

• @scorpio, sorry to bother you.

I went to the render settings, I can't locate the environment map.

Please, could be possible if you can post an screenshot where I can locate this.

Thanks beforehand.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited September 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@scorpio, sorry to bother you.

I went to the render settings, I can't locate the environment map.

Please, could be possible if you can post an screenshot where I can locate this.

Thanks beforehand.

Render settings.png
    401 x 722 - 63K
    Render settings_2.png
    369 x 257 - 22K
    Post edited by rosseliani on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Halcon Bluesky if its a new scene and a newer version of DS you might have to add the enviroment node Create/New Enviroment Options Node.

• One problem I have with HDRI images gathered at Polyhaven are out of proportion, I have tried to fit to the render to display dimensions, I can't figure out how to do this.

Per example, the Environment has some windows, there must be something to add it to make it a more natural view, be a clear sky or some street view or whatever that may look atractive.

This is giving me soem headache, because I can't fit it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Halcon Bluesky said:

One problem I have with HDRI images gathered at Polyhaven are out of proportion, I have tried to fit to the render to display dimensions, I can't figure out how to do this.

Per example, the Environment has some windows, there must be something to add it to make it a more natural view, be a clear sky or some street view or whatever that may look atractive.

This is giving me soem headache, because I can't fit it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure how you are using the HDRI. They are images for the Dome and are just backdrops and lighting for whatever you put in the scene. If you put a building in the scene with windows then you will see the HDRI through them.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505
    edited September 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

One problem I have with HDRI images gathered at Polyhaven are out of proportion, I have tried to fit to the render to display dimensions, I can't figure out how to do this.

The scale and proportion of HDRI files are based on the camera position and settings of the original image. Depending on what you are doing, there is a little flexibility, but not much. In general, the ones from Polyhaven work well with Daz studio if you tweak the settings some.   

To get the image to look as it was taken, you need to adjust the dome radius and find the setting that removes any curvature. You can also work with the dome scale multiplier, which can have some effect in scale, but it is usually not that drastic - though that depends on several factors in the original image.

When using HDRIs from Polyhaven, there really isn't a lot to change from the default to get it to work, especially if you are using it as a background. Basically it is just turning on "draw Dome," selecting "Finite Sphere" as the dome mode, and adjusting the radius. You may also want to change the dome rotation to get the lighting and background to look the way you want

The image below was done using the Johannesburg Sunset HDRI from Polyhaven. I had to adjust the dome radius to 75.00 in order to remove the curvature. I found that messing with the scale multiplier allowed me to zoom the back in and out a bit, maybe showing one or two more (further away) or one or two less (closer)  floors on the building behind the subject. Note that the "official" version uses Depth of Field, but I rendered it without so you can see the background clearly. You can check out that one in my gallery here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4677294643740672#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1244300

The 3 images below are the settings I used for the image. As noted above, I rotated the dome to get the large buinding behind the subject and to get the HDRI light source in front of the character.

Hope this helps.

Rooftop No Depth of Field.png
    2560 x 1706 - 5M
    HDRI settings 1.png
    364 x 478 - 42K
    HDRI Settings 2.png
    370 x 449 - 43K
    HDRI Settings 3.png
    377 x 275 - 26K
    Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • @Chezjuan, Thanks for your advice, I will apply it to the HDRI backrground.

Daz Studio learning curve is long way to get accustomed.