Smart Content Stopped Working (SOLVED)

DondecDondec Posts: 243
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

After I installed the last undated Carrara 8.5 version, Smart Content started working again. Great! But not long after there was an update to the DIM... and after I installed that, Smart Content stopped working, and hasn't come back.

All my products appear in DS 4.8, so its a DB-to-Carrara thing I guess. Everything was installed by DIM. Restarting my system Win 8.1 didn't help.

I ran DS in the background, just in case it needed to be there to start the DB or something... didn't make a difference.

Tried using the Update Folder function on each of Carrara's Smart Content Browser categories (Files, Categories, Products)... didn't help.

Whether I have a Genesis figure selected in my scene or not... Nada! Seemed like the new DIM did somthing... Anybody know how to fix this?

- Don

Post edited by Dondec on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

sorry Don, dont know :(

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

You're sure you're actually running the new version of C8.5.1? Seems obvious, but identical icons, identical splash screen image... it's easily done, especially if you launch from a shortcut. (been there, done that!). Obviously you can check the about box (8.5.1 build 19), but also if you look in Task Manager / Activity Monitor, you should see a bunch of processes called "Postgres" (make sure DIM and DS are not running when you check)

Other than that . . . dunno.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I had a problem when I went to 8.5 when the database changed is that the database itself was not running when Carrara was open. But I can't for the life of me remember what I did. When Carrara is running do you have like 6 PostgreSQL Server showing up in the task manager? Have the task manager running then start Carrara and see if they start. If they don't I will see if I can find my post in the Beta thread where I was told how to fix that.

• porthos62porthos62 Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Hi.

Have you tried rebuilding your metadata? - as the new version of Carrara now uses PostgreSQL

Via Daz Studio, select content tab, then press on 'display options for selected pane' then Content DB Maintenence/rebuild metadata

:-)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

As long as you've changed the database to postgres, then Carrara "Should be" working and should start/stop Daz CMS. when it's running and shut down when it's not.

There should be some icons in your Start menu which allow you to Start and Stop the CMS
    Look under All Programs / Daz3D ./ Daz3D Content Management system.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There should be some icons in your Start menu which allow you to Start and Stop the CMS
    Look under All Programs / Daz3D ./ Daz3D Content Management system.

That only stops and starts the older CMS (ContentManagementServer,exe) which Valentina used. To start and stop postgres.exe processes can be done from within DAZ Studio from the drop-down menu in the Content Library pane Stop CMS and Start CMS. I have had a quick look in Carrara, but I don't see any similar commands in there.
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jimmy,. :)

I was unaware that those icons were now outdated,. thanks :)

The lack of any ability within Carrara to start/stop the CMS or any DB management options etc, means that the user has to have Daz Studio installed (even if they never use it for anything else)

perhaps adding (Start menu) icons or options for the CMS / DB (outside of Daz3D Studio) for Carrara would be an easier option to have for Carrara users, which would remove the need to have DS installed to allow the use of "smart content" in Carrara.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited June 2015

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I got it working using the ideas posted.
    First off:
    * I had the correct Carrara version
    * the PostgreSQL Server (7 copies) started and stop when I started/stopped Carrara

Here's what didn't work:
    * Reloading the Metadata from DS... then restarting Carrara 8.5... no change
    * Uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling Carrara 8.5 from DIM... no change
    * Uninstalling ProstgreCMS Valentina conversion then retrying Carrara.. no change
    * Uninstalling and reinstalling ProstgreCMS then retrying Carrara.. no change

After that, here's what did work:
    * in DS selecting the Smart Content tab - Content DB Maintenance - Reset Database!
    * then again in DS selecting the Smart Content tab - Content DB Maintenance - Re-import Metadata

Bingo... everything back on line. Thanks everybody!

Don

Post edited by Dondec on
    edited December 1969

I should probably start a new thread, but is the smart content supposed to be smart like it is in DS and show you things related to the selected object? Mine doesn't just shows everything, and has the catagories etc. In DS when you select say SubDragon, then things related to subdragon become shown.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't use Carrara very often, but I found if I selected the second one down in the Scene tab, (not the Base of GF2) it started to work.

You could try that, or even go down as far as 'Actor'. It should work that way, and if it doesn't, it's not 'Smart' just another way of displaying your content.

edited July 2015

Tried Each one down to actor and nothing changes in the Smart Content tab.. I think I will start a thread and see what pops up
    *** EDIT ***

I partially works, if I bring in Victoria 6 and then click on the next line down of Genesis 2 Female, the Files section changes to just items for her. However the SubDragon does not, it leaves up every item, if when I click on Subdragon or on the next sublevel Model or hip.

So as far as I can see it kinda sorta works.

Post edited by Milo on
  • AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    Dondec said:

After that, here's what did work:
    * in DS selecting the Smart Content tab - Content DB Maintenance - Reset Database!
    * then again in DS selecting the Smart Content tab - Content DB Maintenance - Re-import Metadata

Bingo... everything back on line. Thanks everybody!

Don

Wow, thank you. Mine stopped working out of the blue today.  I'm on Mac OS High Sierra. Like you I tried all the other tips but none worked. The above Did. Thank you. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

did a cleanout today and reinstalled Windows 10 and had the no smart content in Carrara problem after installing the latest DS..

so now am in the process of removing DS getting an older version installed and going through the process explained by @Dondec

see how we go.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

did a cleanout today and reinstalled Windows 10 and had the no smart content in Carrara problem after installing the latest DS..

so now am in the process of removing DS getting an older version installed and going through the process explained by @Dondec

see how we go.

thanks Stezza, mine hasnt worked for ages, I gave up on it - must use this method taa

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

mmm...

didn't work for me.. so I did an extra step reinstalling the cms conversion thingy... took a while to install so I reckon something happened..

sure enough something happened... Smart Content now showing but only stuff before genesis and duf... 

still fiddling with it.

• Help, please

smart content appears empty!

I think the reason is the wrong installation

I need the correct way to install, please