Original Carrara Developers

DondecDondec Posts: 243
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just curious, does anybody know what happeded to the original Carrara (or was it Amapi) developers? I keep finding neat things in Carrara, makes me think these guys were like way ahead of everybody else at the time.

So where does that put them today? Wouldn't be surprised if they're all working for AutoDesk now.

Thanks

- Don

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Just curious, does anybody know what happeded to the original Carrara (or was it Amapi) developers? I keep finding neat things in Carrara, makes me think these guys were like way ahead of everybody else at the time.

So where does that put them today? Wouldn't be surprised if they're all working for AutoDesk now.

Thanks

- Don

where ever they are DAZ cannot afford them :lol:
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited December 1969

I think Pierre Berkaloff is working for Conversagent Inc. now.

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

The U.S. team, many of them went to Apple. (Evoia the owners before DAZ, licensed a bunch of the core technology to Apple) Yes, the dev team had some genuine brainiacs.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The U.S. team, many of them went to Apple. (Evoia the owners before DAZ, licensed a bunch of the core technology to Apple) Yes, the dev team had some genuine brainiacs.

Did any of them have anything to do with Cheetah 3D? I've been kind of curious about trying it.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited July 2015

Philip Staiger, of Project Dogwaffle, used to work on Carrara at Eovia. He's been doing some really fun and informative tutorials for PD as well as being one heck of a tester, providing incredible insights toward improving the already wonderful software. Carrara is still one of his favorite 3D apps! :)

I was looking for something like Photoshop that I could afford - as well as it being able to work with animations that I make in Carrara. Finding PD Pro: Howler has been a dream come true, but took a lot of getting used to. Thanks to Philip's Tutorials, I've been really finding amazing ways to work very smoothly back and forth between Carrara and Howler with ease and some great results. I am now very honored to be a part of their team! :)

Logo_Official.jpg
    253 x 149 - 18K
    Logo_Official.jpg
    253 x 149 - 18K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

So, who are the people behind Eovia? A small group of true 3D aficionados and, we believe, seasoned managers. All the founders are developers or heavy users of 3D software. We all share years of work on Ray Dream and Carrara. We think that our experience will ensure that we understand the needs and expectations of our customers

Antoine Clappier - Founder/President & CEO Eovia Corp
    Now; Founder/President Oloneo

Charles Brissart - one of the 4 founders of Eovia. The genius behind the Carrara render engine.
    Director of Software EngineeringEovia
    Director of R&D DAZ Productions
    Left DAZ 3D to work at Apple. Senior Software Engineer at Apple

Arnaud Berry - Co-Founder and Senior Software Architect Eovia
    Senior Software Engineer at SonicMule

More to come.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

The genius behind the Carrara render engine.

Not to take anything from those Carrara pioneers, but keep in mind that the core algorithms and original designs for most of this stuff was really developed by university researchers at places like MIT, Harvard, NYIT (my alma mater), Bell Labs, and other research facilities with brilliant guys who developed this stuff from scratch.

edited December 1969

BTW, a bit more interesting and pertinent for some of us...

Does anyone know who the EXISTING Carrara developers are ? :) :)

edited December 1969

Geez, I just realized I didn't mention University of Utah. Much of those shading and rendering algorithms came from there..

I must be getting old.. :) :)

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited December 1969

Depends on how far back you want to go :-) Turner Whitted figured out most of the ray tracing stuff when he was at North Carolina university, and Arthur Appel started it all back in 68 and I think he was at IBM/Watson research center then.

Hmmm, and to be honest, without Pythagoras triangle 2000 years ago maybe with would not have and graphics at all today.

edited December 1969

Depends on how far back you want to go :-)

Yeah, but I think in general the trend has been that the university researchers figure out the nitty-gritty algorithms, then present SIGGRAPH papers on how to do this stuff, and then the industry guys convert that to code. That's pretty much the case even today. Some exceptions of course, but you have to give a lot of credit to the university guys who try to figure out the raw mathematics for all of this stuff that everyone then uses.

If you've ever read a SIGGRAPH paper on stuff like fluids and dynamics, you get a real appreciation for the dry, painful mathematics they need to slog through and figure out so it all can work. Makes you appreciate why it takes so long to develop code for these high level features and renderers. This stuff is insanely complex.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Thanks for the info.  I was curious about the dev team because for a product originally developed what was it a decade ago, it still seems to be holding its own, which is pretty remarkable.  These guys must have been geniuses and ahead of their time.  

There are parts of Carrara that look like different development teams too.  When I see one User Interface across the board, then a slightly different one for a specific feature, that can often mean "a new hire that couldn't figure out how to work with the original author's code".  :)  Maybe the original author moved on by then, or maybe there was time pressure to finish on a certain date, or both.

I'm also guessing Carrara was written in "C" because of the UI... one large Window with tabbed panels.  The successor C++...  is Object Oriented that automatically gives you things like undockable windows and tabs, multiple viewports, customizable layouts and the like.   If you're familiar with IClone 6, that to me looks like a C++ rewrite of IClone 5.5.

Anyway...  I guess I was wondering if any of the original developers still had a connection with Carrara or Daz3D, as developers, consultants or whatever. Would love to hear them even talk about how they put it together...  it was, and is, a pretty major thing

- Don

• yes writting in C. Areas that have a different UI such as the Metaballs modeler. It was at first a plug develop by RAYFlect/Antoine Clappiers company. The plugin was later merge into RayDream Studio.

When Carrara 1.0 was developed the many of those plugins from RAYFlect were added such as the Metaballs modeler, the Camera Lense Effects, light effects such a light cones etc.In some areas the UI didn't get updated. Lots of Carrara history in my head.  ;) I will some of it tomorrow.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    There are still interface elements left over from Raydream Studio 5. Look at any of the controls for the fire and fog primitives for example, or certain deformer controls. The Spline modeler can really take me back as well. There have been improvements to how those functions are done, and the UI isn't exactly the same, but there are enough elements to bring on a weird sense of deja-vu sometimes.
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190

I remember being so excited when RayDream had RAYFlect added to it. That is the tipping point that got me into CG. Seriously. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    I think it's in Ringo's "History of Carrara" thread, a link to a written history by Antoine Clappiere which is really interesting. It illustrates which features were added, tweaked, etc.,
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited July 2015

Thx Dart... I found Ringo's Release History.  Looks like Carrara had a lot of features well before everybody else, confirming it led the industry for a time.  Seems like there were  some real 3D pioneers involved.  Pretty neat times in 3D inovation and history..

Now I want a T-shirt!  I'll have to think about making one somehow.  Thanks again.

- Don

Post edited by Dondec on
  • Philip Staiger, of Project Dogwaffle, used to work on Carrara at Eovia. He's been doing some really fun and informative tutorials for PD as well as being one heck of a tester, providing incredible insights toward improving the already wonderful software. Carrara is still one of his favorite 3D apps! :)

I was looking for something like Photoshop that I could afford - as well as it being able to work with animations that I make in Carrara. Finding PD Pro: Howler has been a dream come true, but took a lot of getting used to. Thanks to Philip's Tutorials, I've been really finding amazing ways to work very smoothly back and forth between Carrara and Howler with ease and some great results. I am now very honored to be a part of their team! :)

I had no idea that Philip was associated with Eovia and Carrara.  How cool!  And yes, his tutorials are just wonderful!

Pierre 

• Philip is a great guy. Has been a long time friend. ;)