Is It Possible to Change Name of Layer in Layer List Shader?

Is It Possible to Change Name of Layer in Layer List Shader?

I have created a relatively large terrain.  I used opacity maps to identify areas for a path, placement of village buildings, placement of a tower keep, fields for different kinds of crops, and a hill.  That is a lot of layers for the layer list shader.  Is there a way for me to change the name of a layer from 'basic layer' to something more meaningful?  Note, I will be replicating plants in the crop area, buildings, etc, so this is not complete yet.  It would be very helpful to rename the shader tree layer list.

ww04 tet render terrain opacity maps.jpg
1600 x 800 - 144K
ww05 any way to change labelof layer.jpg
2344 x 981 - 255K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

I wish, this drives me nuts with FBX imports

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 189

No, that's not possible. Shadertypes don't have name attribute. Perhaps using shaderdomains for each 'basic layer' on the terrain will make it a little bit manageable. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks for the help.  Disappointing.  Fortunately, merely inconvenient, not a catastrophe.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Not knowing any better, when I made my big terrain with a Mesolithic landscape and elements, I made each different shader zone a clone of the big main main Terrain 2. See layer list in the Scene under AATerrains + River Group. I just used opacity masks on each layer's shader zone to confine, expose or hide  what I wanted to include.   I just had to be careful each clone of Terrain 2 was place exactly on top. Easy using the position coordinates.

So attached is the Terrain FL1 which has its own shader of a leaf litter forest floor.  Then I used that same FL1 layer for my replicator trees so they only appear in the white zone of the opacity layer used for the forest floor.  I have a lot of vegetation going on and more to come when I can get back to it, but my whole scene, even with 13 or so layers of  full sized terrain clones with the areas not needed blacked out in opacity, then shaded and replicated vegetation added is only 50MB!

I can swap out layers if I don't like them and it does not affect the rest of the scene. Especially when I have to experiment with shrub and tree densities, and creating paths and the bare earth for the 'fish camp'.  huts.  I am new to using replicators so this helps with that skill as well.

Sorry if it looks and sounds amateurish, but I know where everything it this way.  Only the main Terrain 2 with its base shaders for the green and riverbed and blue river liner colour has a big layer list. All the other individual layers have only one shader and opacity.  I wish I knew how to remove the unwanted bits under those two, but don't know how.

Hmmm... am feeling a bit more Carrara-ry now!

laugh  Silene

1C.png
    1360 x 600 - 456K
    2C.png
    1323 x 638 - 190K
    4C.png
    994 x 525 - 149K
    5C.png
    1156 x 552 - 405K
    3C.png
    1000 x 423 - 792K
    edited August 2022

@SileneUK Regarding your question in attachment/picture 2 ( Terrain Shader 2 )  These highlighted items are not layers in a 'layers list'. They are channels in a 'multi channel' shader that itself is a member of a 'layers list'. Those channels can not be removed.  

Post edited by RuudL on

RuudL said:

@SileneUK Regarding your question in attachment/picture 2 ( Terrain Shader 2 )  These highlighted items are not layers in a 'layers list'. They are channels in a 'multi channel' shader that itself is a member of a 'layers list'. Those channels can not be removed.  

So you get that baggage with Multi-Channel no matter what you don't need down the list.  Oh thanks... that makes me feel not so senile today! heart cheekyyes  Silene

Yes, the Multi-Channel shader always consist of 11 channels. Set the ones you don't need to 'none'. However if you set a member of a Layers-List to 'none' it will disappear from the list.

BTW  I very much like your landscape.   

edited August 2022

There is an option to filter out the channels that are set to 'none'  It's at the top of shader pane.

Carrara ProScreenSnapz013.png
    758 x 496 - 130K
    Carrara ProScreenSnapz014.png
    758 x 496 - 91K
    Post edited by RuudL on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

wow looking forward to seeing the resuklts @Diomede

Headwax said:

wow looking forward to seeing the resuklts @Diomede

Thanks RuudL !    Headwax  I agree, I hope Diomede posts his landscape shaders and layers as it progresses. It will be helpful for me to make my setup more tidy as it develops.  Even by sectioning off the zones to populate with foliage etc, mine is still is awkward, especially the replicating.

yes Silene

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

hi SilenUK, not sure if tgis has clues also ? evilproducer's work Fantasy Village terrain - 3D Model - ShareCG

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

@SileneUK - wow, that is a great looking environment.  Thanks for the tips and the screenshots.  You are way ahead of me.  Love how you mix in plant varieties on each own's replicator.  Sometimes, I do something similar by duplicating terrains and then using the 3D paint tool to create the replicator placement shaders.

@RUUDL - wow,I had no idea there was a check box to eliminate the 'none' channels.  Will be using that a lot going forward.  Thanks.

@Headwax - thanks for the comment.  I need to revisit some of EvilProducers freebies.  He did wonders with procedural textures.  I am currently limited to my laptop so do not have access to many of the texture resources I've accumulated over the years.  My animation project is almost entirely procedural shaders thus far.  I should be back to my main PC before the new deadline,so may get a chance to update shaders.

• RuudL said:

There is an option to filter out the channels that are set to 'none'  It's at the top of shader pane.

I've been using Carrara since version 1 and I never noticed that check box before. Thanks for pointing it out!

• RuudL said:

I've been using Carrara since version 1 and I never noticed that check box before. Thanks for pointing it out!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

I on the otherhand accidentally checked it once early on and got vey confused why my shader had no bump channel etcblush

edited August 2022

Diomede said:

@SileneUK - wow, that is a great looking environment.  Thanks for the tips and the screenshots.  You are way ahead of me.  Love how you mix in plant varieties on each own's replicator.  Sometimes, I do something similar by duplicating terrains and then using the 3D paint tool to create the replicator placement shaders.

@RUUDL - wow,I had no idea there was a check box to eliminate the 'none' channels.  Will be using that a lot going forward.  Thanks.

@Headwax - thanks for the comment.  I need to revisit some of EvilProducers freebies.  He did wonders with procedural textures.  I am currently limited to my laptop so do not have access to many of the texture resources I've accumulated over the years.  My animation project is almost entirely procedural shaders thus far.  I should be back to my main PC before the new deadline,so may get a chance to update shaders.

Ted,  I am not clever enough to use the 3D paint tool. I just bugger it up no matter what I try to use it for. Even though Dart had posted some very explicit instructions a few years back. So I make maps in PS instead.

But....deconstruction is my best Carrara friend if there isn't a 'tut for that!'   Love the tickbox option. yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on