Unreal 5 crashes... but only with products from Kibarreto.

Hey there!  

I'm just wondering, is it just me or is anyone else having problems getting any products from Kibarreto (Alphabase, Shuttlestar, etc) from Daz to Unreal 5 through the bridge?  Every time I try, it crashes Unreal 5. Is there a trick to getting his stuff in there that I'm unaware of?  So far, every other artist has gone through the bridge like a dream. Let me know!

Comments

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226

Was there any output log in Unreal indicating the cause or it crashed without being able to output the log?

There are possible reasons related to the importing process or compatibility issues:

Incompatible materials not working with the master material provided by Daz to Unreal bridge when the bridge tries to rebuild the materials.

Importing too many models together which makes the total poly count exceeds millions and that'll crash the Unreal FBX importer which the Daz to Unreal bridge uses to import assets.

• adam_graggadam_gragg Posts: 141
    Nope... the models would begin go load and then freeze... then crash with no explanation. I will say this, so far, the vanguard and iron star was able to transfer but those were it
  • catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited September 2022

There is another possible reason related to UE5 automatically generating lightmap UVs during FBX importing process.

"The generated lightmap UV repacks the islands so that they meet the requirements of a good lightmap with no errors: no overlapping or wrapping islands, and enough padding between islands to limit artifacts based on the targeted lightmap resolution", and "The algorithm repacks the UV charts from the specified source lightmap index but does not cut or split them in the process". Thus it needs to "get a good result by splitting the UV charts before import into UE4".
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/understanding-lightmapping-in-unreal-engine/

If the static mesh has ovelapped UV islands / UV charts such as multiple material slots that have their UVs ovelapped, it can freeze the engine during importing FBX or opening the UAssets. I had this issue when loading the Open World Demo from Unreal, the engine freezed when generating lightmap UVs of the trees.

There's an option to uncheck Generate Lightmap UVs in the FBX Import Options.

ImportOptionsGenerateLM.jpg
    424 x 698 - 65K
    Post edited by catmaster on