Animation in Daz no longer practical?

BDGBDG Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I've been away from Daz for a few Years (Like M4 was new), a friend was telling me he could no longer animate a jump or simple walk cycle any more because Daz was broken. So I went and checked, a lot of new things to learn but right off the bat I found you can no longer move the hip without moving the entire model. No poser change, just moved the model as if I had selected the whole model.
No matter what I tried, that simple IK function seems to be gone.
Am I missing something or has Daz decided to leave the animation to Poser and just moved on to stills?
I do not want to export to some other program, seriously not wanting to leave Daz (I'm just getting back to it) but right now if I can't figure this out I may need to go learn Poser like he is. iclone, blender, carrara are not options...Why would I keep daz if i use someone else's program.
I remember grabbing the hip of V4 and moving her down(knees bend) up(jump), left or right (feet stayed on the ground as she shifted weight). Any help or tutorials? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114
    edited December 1969

Did you pin anything? if not DS won't know not to move the whole figure - it doesn't pin the feet by default, as Poser does.

• BDGBDG Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Just went in and found the pins (UGH! Step one to fixing this) That did help, but the hip movement cases an a lot of...shifting(?) on the legs and feet, the feet no longer stay unmovable. It did return a limited success, which I hope is a good sign but it seems that if a I move the Hip/Abdomen even a few decimal the figure kinda freaks out. I am starting to think I've got a setting wrong though. In the test download of Poser the figure retains its IK's perfectly, so I'm thinking Daz is fine I just forgot what the heck I'm doing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114
    edited December 1969

I suspect you were using Active Pose, not the IK system on the Universal tool -Active pose won't work with parameters, only by dragging the part in the viewport, but it is harder to get the pinned bones to move accidentally. That is still in the Tools menu.

• BDGBDG Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Just ran a 1 sec test animation, will need to do some minor key framing (KeyMate will do the trick here) but else wise it looks doable. I'll end up getting addicted to this program again :( I think the rest is just relearning, looks like my friend spend $450 for no reason...maybe, think he was looking at the clothing stuff as well.
    Thanks

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

It's actually a little better for me since I got the second monitor.  I can put up graphmate on one so I can spread it out.  Still having a bit of trouble making somethings work but looking for work arounds in other programs added to my workflow.

• With some patience & understanding, I believe DAZ is a great tool for animation. These clips were made exclusively with DAZ! Keep the faith! DAZ is only going to get stronger!

For more check out my youtube y'all :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/SoftCelAnimation/videos