OT: Carrara-izing Blender

13»

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2015

I think the "g" in Blender actually stands for "grab." :)

You can use T (translate), R (rotate) and S (scale) to switch between these modes in Carrara although there are two bugs I've run into with this: #1 if you have just entered something numeric in the panels on the right side, those boxes keep the focus and typing T/R/S will put a letter in the numeric box instead of activating the approprite tool, so you need to click back in the scene after changing anything in the right side panels; #2 sometimes the manipulator does not show up right away, so for example if you want to translate something (move it around the scene) you may need to hit T, then S, then go back to T to get it to actually switch to the translation tool.  Carrara does not allow you to do something like just type SY2 (for example) to scale something two times in the Y direction like Blender does though - that's one of my favorite things about Blender.

I believe there are keyboard shortcuts for moving the camera too, but I am not sure what they are. :(

If you export and object with a procedural texture on it as an OBJ there is an option to export the texture and convert it, but it doesn't always do a very good job.  Your best bet if this is something you plan to do a lot of and the quality of the conversion is too low with the export option, is to get Inagoni's Baker plugin, which does a fantastic job of this.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Carrara camera moving in the assembling room. Works for the director's camera as well as for the rendering camera.

d = rotating (when an object is selected the camera rotates around this object)

w = panning

e = move in/out (moving - not: zooming)

q = something else ;-)

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Wow!   Thanks to JoeMamma2000 and all for the info and tips!

With the absence of information on the future of Carrara, I am considering putting in the time to learn Blender.   This thread is really helpful!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Alrighty then, I made a CarraraCafe article of JoeMamma2000's forum thread about adapting Blender for Carrara users.
    The first part, a copy of this thread is now posted here:
    http://carraracafe.com/news/ot-carrara-izing-blender-preview/

If there is any interest, there are a few parts I thought of adding, and maybe someone else can join in a post some relevant info too.

For example:
    Add Luxrender plugin info (Not done yet)
    Add script info for Carrara to Cycles by… (Not done yet)
    Add Blender tutorials and other resources (Not done yet)

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited January 2018

I have to say, i never really worked with blender but got it for ages on my hard disk, i've also have VRay for Blender but haven't really worked with that too.
    There are a few things i would wish that they would get updated or supported on Carrara like the dynamic hair thing, it's a nice and powerful tool but not perfect, so there are a few things that could get a lot better.
    Too bad that Carrara doesn't got developed anymore, so blender could be a nice software to work with when it come's to hair and other things that carrara can't handle.
    Time to watch some tutorials :)

btw. maybe the daz studio team should give Carrara to blender :D

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511

Thanks for all the info and also for putting it on CarraraCafe.   I moved to a Mac, so started tinkering with Blender.  I have reality for DS and there is luxus for Carrara.  But moving forward I am having an issue picking a path :) i Tried Cheeta on Mac, exported a scene I had in Carrara and straight just rendered it yes some issues but looked .. 'rich' Cheeta just doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    3drendero said:

Alrighty then, I made a CarraraCafe article of JoeMamma2000's forum thread about adapting Blender for Carrara users.
    The first part, a copy of this thread is now posted here:

If there is any interest, there are a few parts I thought of adding, and maybe someone else can join in a post some relevant info too.

For example:
    Add Luxrender plugin info (Not done yet)
    Add script info for Carrara to Cycles by… (Not done yet)
    Add Blender tutorials and other resources (Not done yet)

thanks for doing that :)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited January 2018

Thanks.

I am done with the first article, calling it Part 1, to keep all info from JoeMamma2000 and this thread in one place.

Will start a Part 2 article and separate thread with some new info.

Post edited by 3drendero on