I've got the CMS Blues... and I'm seeing red

BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

With the most recent editions of Daz came this annoying feature called the Content Management System. With it, only content encrypted with Daz's digital signature will show in the Content Library, and shows onlyDaz's Victoria 4 and genesis products. All else will not show in the library, they are (to my wrath) not recognized. Why so mad? As I have a 30 gig runtime based on gen 3 charecters, I suddenly find Daz impotent.

I uninstalled the content management system, which I thought would solve the problem, (I really don't neeed it anyway since I've done just fine without it for seven years and counting) but the non-metadated content does not show--- even my original downloads of Victoria 4, the basic clothing, and anything not included in the content that came with Daz 4 does not show in the directories. I've found no matter how I configure my directories, linking to the content, runtime or libraries folders, they are no longer catagorized with the familiar icons, they show the full directories so obviously that has been scrapped in favor of the CMS pre-catagorizing as well. I've got 30 gig of outdated product with nowhere to go. That's why I'm seeing red. In fact, I'm mad as he**.

I find it hard to believe you are slamming the door on third party products and anything not Daz-brokered V4 or Genesis If you are going to leave everything else behind, you ought to have a verson (DAZ|Retro would be a good name) that will accomodates legacy product. As much as I like the features in Daz 4, I guess I have no choice but to uninstall DAZ4 and go to my oitermized download history and diownload Daz 3 to use my products. You guys really screwed up a good thing by trying to monopolize the market on Daz content, with figures that are inferior to the generation 3 family of products that everyone could create and share content with. You can't have third-party independently created freebies unless they are metadated and distributed through Daz. With metadata you have surpassed Poser in its propriety of content for its figures. For a product that has created more interest and popularity in 3D rendered art for the masses than any other, this is nothing less than a tragedy and travesty.
As miffed as I am about this content coupe' de tat with Daz|Studio, I'd REALLY get mad if you have any ideas of trying this with Bryce....

Comments

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

BTW I've been around since 2006, I don't know where 'new mermber' comes from LOL :lol:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,335
    edited December 1969

Files should show in Content Library (not Smart Content) under Poser Formats or DAZ Studio Formats as long as they are installed to a folder you have selected under that category..

• edited May 2012

Here's my advice for the whole non-metadata'd content affair: import your database from 3. BUT! Back it up first. I've had some nasty problems where after the import, 3 couldn't use the content database any more, so I suggest backup, import, restore. Me? I'm just going to stick to 3.1. It's a little less painful to use, overall.

And you're showing up as a 'new member' because nobody's postcount was imported from the old forums, so we're all new, now.

Post edited by thinmick_3ecd3939f1 on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the suggestion. Why I was so hacked was I reinstalled Daz 4 onto a new hard drive, the old one failed and all of a sudden nothing came up except the meta content. I'm thinking to myself "what the hell? Even Lights , Props and Hands aren't available because they don't have or need to have metedata!!" . So 4 can import databases now instead of doing a directory search? Missed that feature I guess. D'oh!! :smirk:

edited May 2012

BTW I've been around since 2006, I don't know where 'new mermber' comes from LOL :lol:

That's exactly what I did...I know the smart content is for assigned metadata, this is happening uin the content directory, as I have said. I could create metadata for my existing content ( I think it's possible to do that, I haven't seen the tutorials on that yet) and cross-reference clothes, figures and hair, that would be a lot faster than browsing a 37 gig library LOL. I did under the content manager assign two seperate but identical runtimes with mixed poser/daz content to each of Daz and Poser directories. That wasn't enough to show anything more than the directory structure, no files appeared and there were no catogorized library icons. I have it working in my Daz 3.1 and I guess if I continue to have problems I'll have to set up the charecters and props in 3, save the file, then reopen the file in 4 , optimize it, and export to Bryce. I use Daz as an accessory to to populate my Bryce scenes, so the large database is vital as a resource and I need to access all my content dating back to Daz 1.3. Well, instead of just selecting directories, I'll see if I can import them and maybe that will preserve access to all the content. It's worked before, using Daz 7 Pro and Daz|Studio Pro4 I made this a week ago... before the friggin hard drive started failing.
    A_Two_-_Copy.jpg
    630 x 420 - 138K
    Post edited by Brycescaper on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,764
    edited December 1969

The post count has been reset. Once your new post count comes to 26 you will be a regular member instead of a New Member.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

The post count has been reset. Once your new post count comes to 26 you will be a regular member instead of a New Member.

That's good to know. Thanks!

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I liked the content management system of Daz3 much better than Daz4. Daz3 CMS was much faster and more reliable. You can do more with Daz4 but long established users are not going scrap their existing CMS and start again. I have an old directory for pre-Daz4 things which I categorise using Daz3 and then import into Daz4. That only takes 25 mins and is reliable. The problem is with the new separate Genesis Daz4 directory. When you buy new Genesis items to see where they are you need to 'scan known directories for files'. This takes longer than DS3 but was working OK. Then I fitted an Solid State Drive for my Operating System Drive and enlarged my Daz Directory Drive but I copied the files, so although they were in the same position the directory dates had changed. Now the 'scan known directories for files' option does not take minutes or hours but tens of hours. (I think it uses the file dates to determine what is new so copied directories have to be scanned from scratch - my guess). I lost one of my precious weekend days trying to fix this. So my plea to the Daz developers is in future can we have a DS3 type solution, at least as an option. It was reliable and it worked faster. At 2 million files I have already categorised my content how I like it. I don't need smart content. (Even better still would be an option to import/export database to Poser).