Feedback Requested: Custom Character

Hi all! So, I've just made my first ever fully-custom character. My plan was only to use her for personal renders, but I recently made a dress with her in mind that I listed on Renderosity, and it got me thinking... Would anybody buy her? She uses the Genesis 3 base, if that changes anything. I wasn't sure if maybe I just shouldn't bother unless I've made something using Genesis 8/8.1. Feedback is super welcome, thanks so much!

Comments

• Submit your product to the site you want to collaborate with, wait for answers (testing can take days), then you'll know if you can sell it. Some Daz Studio users still prefer G3 rather than G8 or 8.1.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

I doubt if Daz would accept G3F characters now that G8 has been out for years and G8.1 is the current generation. G3 is old, but you could always submit it and see.

My feedback: The character in this image looks fairly generic to me. Your promo images need to emphasize what differentiates her from the hundreds of available G3F characters. The drastically different eyes look jarring to me.The left blue eye looks very light and the brown/hazel right eye looks very dark. Are all the textures your own? You cannot sell a character that uses (even modified) textures from other vendors' products, unless those products are Merchant Resources and you carefully the rules of that resource. Or are you intending to sell only the shape and not the textures? The market for a shape only would be very limited, I think.

• barbult said:

I doubt if Daz would accept G3F characters now that G8 has been out for years and G8.1 is the current generation. G3 is old, but you could always submit it and see.

My feedback: The character in this image looks fairly generic to me. Your promo images need to emphasize what differentiates her from the hundreds of available G3F characters. The drastically different eyes look jarring to me.The left blue eye looks very light and the brown/hazel right eye looks very dark. Are all the textures your own? You cannot sell a character that uses (even modified) textures from other vendors' products, unless those products are Merchant Resources and you carefully the rules of that resource. Or are you intending to sell only the shape and not the textures? The market for a shape only would be very limited, I think.

Hi, thanks for giving feedback!! I really appreciate it!

I was planning on submitting to Renderosity, which I think might be more likely to take a G3F character than the DAZ store, but I might take a crack at both.

I can definitely work on making her look more unique! The textures I used as a base were Merchant Resources, and I'm staying within the terms of the readme. The person I'm basing her on (a friend of mine) has heterochromia, but if it's too jarring like this, I can definitely make that be an eye colour option rather than the default? Again, thank you SO much for your feedback! :D

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897
    edited September 2022

freya.hammar_19f3b06efb said:

I was planning on submitting to Renderosity, which I think might be more likely to take a G3F character than the DAZ store, but I might take a crack at both.

I can definitely work on making her look more unique! The textures I used as a base were Merchant Resources, and I'm staying within the terms of the readme. The person I'm basing her on (a friend of mine) has heterochromia, but if it's too jarring like this, I can definitely make that be an eye colour option rather than the default? Again, thank you SO much for your feedback! :D

I think perhaps trying some different lighting would help balance the eyes. As it is, the dark one is very dark and the light eye is the one that draws my eye first. Of course, customers always like having options, so maybe you could have a set of blue eyes and a set of brown as well, with the heterochromia being the mixed option.

Post edited by Quixotry on
  • freya.hammar_19f3b06efb said:

Keep in mind that you can't sell the same character on both sites. I'm not sure about Rendo, if I recall correctly, whatever you submit here will be sold exclusively here. If you want to sell elsewhere, you would need to ask DAZ to take it off here. Though you can always send in a ticket to confirm. I think Rendo doesn't have a policy like this because I've seen some vendors sell some of their products there on other sites.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

barbult said:

Are all the textures your own? You cannot sell a character that uses (even modified) textures from other vendors' products, unless those products are Merchant Resources and you carefully the rules of that resource. Or are you intending to sell only the shape and not the textures? The market for a shape only would be very limited, I think.

The same applies to morphs/characters as well. 

• PerttiA said:

Does that include morphs that came free with DAZ studio? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

PerttiA said:

Does that include morphs that came free with DAZ studio? 

Yes 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

Promo pics of characters perfectly facing the camera are the worst. Prefer three quarter profile of a face that will give way more information about the skull, nose, chin, etc. shapes.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767
    edited September 2022

I don't think she looks very special if I'm being very honest. But that's just me being subjective.

In any case, I think you need to put more work into showing her off. The lighting, the pose, and the general randomness of the render aren't doing her any favours.

I don't think the DAZ store will accept her - also because she's G3 - but I can see her being sold on Renderosity or Renderhub.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361

FenixPhoenix said:

Keep in mind that you can't sell the same character on both sites. I'm not sure about Rendo, if I recall correctly, whatever you submit here will be sold exclusively here. If you want to sell elsewhere, you would need to ask DAZ to take it off here. Though you can always send in a ticket to confirm. I think Rendo doesn't have a policy like this because I've seen some vendors sell some of their products there on other sites.

Yes, that is how it's done on Daz. If you release a pack on Daz that product is exclusive to Daz and can't be sold elsewhere. It's been 20yrs since we sosld on Rendo so I have no idea how they do things now.