Can we go backwards?

I understand that everybody wants the latests and greatest but can we, maybe, please get some NEW characters for G3 and maybe even G2?

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

It's unlikely to happen as unfortunately the vendors won't get the sales to make it worthwhile. 

You could try looking at the freebie sites as people sometimes still release items as freebies.

The other option is to learn to create new items yourself...this is what I do with the character I use as there is not much Daz stuff made for them.

• G3 might work, for it was a good figure and G8 has not been much of a step up, but G2 is outdatetd and looks horrible, when posed.
    I just tried her yesterday, thinking, it might have been not so bad, but it was. ;-)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,066
    edited September 2022

I have tried, with older figures, to update them into the current era. Some work well if you get the skin right. 

When I re-started with DS in 2019, I went back to some of the V3 characters I'd had when I stopped in 2006. Here is an image with a V3 character as the protagonist with 2 G8F characters the antagonists:

Not too bad, but the elbow bend and shoulders are a bit off & I had to be careful about the camera angle. Then another combining UltraScenery & Blackhearted's GND2:

This was only possible because the grass hid the ghastly bend at her hip.

So, while all the shaders can be updated, the fundamental flaws of the character rigging and morphs cannot be ameliorated, and I think the new characters have fewer such problems.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • they all look OK standing around

• ..or waving a sword in a temple. But only if divested of clothes. (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/365681/the-incorrect-definition-of-nvitws-challenge-thread)

Regards,

Richard.

• G3 is ok, but G and G2... No!

When I started with Daz Studio G3 didn't exist, and I spent a lot on G2 things I don't use anymore except on some clothes and hair that can be autofitted.
    And now when I create a new product like a poses pack, I start with G8 then I convert to G3, which means a lot of work, many corrections are needed because the rotation limits are different. (I don't want to sell poses asking for disable limits).

The market for G2 and G is now virtually non-existent.

If you like G2, better create your own stuff.

• Drogo Nazhur said:

I understand that everybody wants the latests and greatest but can we, maybe, please get some NEW characters for G3 and maybe even G2?

GenerationX2 can transfer characters from Gen3 and back between generations, and there is a freebie floating around called GenNext that can do cross gender G8 and from G8 to G2/G3 so using these you could theoretically get every character made for 8 back as far as Genesis 1.

I've actually used this trick to port a character back to genesis 2 from G8 because I needed him to wear a specific set of armor that absoluely refused to port to G8 without turning into complete and utter garbage, so instead I just sent the character back instead.

Have any of you tried weightmapping the older figures?

I love Nursoda's Hein and I started to weightmap him yesterday. Skin still needs work as I haven't played with it yet.

my god a frog discovered fog in render settings.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 692K
  • but can we, maybe, please get some NEW characters for G3 and maybe even G2?

I've always thought these were weird requests. A NEW character in the store would be competing with EVERY character already in the store. In other words, all the old figures.

Who would buy a new-priced (even discounted) G3 or G2 figure that is no better than all the ones that are always on sale?

There's a small window where G8 and 8.1 is still viable after G9 arrives. 

But at some point - the new, current figure is the draw.

------------

And then I ask, has someone RUN OUT OF CHARACTERS - from those old libraries?

Like, I do comics, so it can get very taxing on resources if the habit is to use everything once.

Is that's what's been going on?

I can't answer for anyone else but I still use a variety of figures. Nothing produced for the more recent genesis have the quirkiness of Nursoda figures. They come close occasionally. The best I've seen was when Smay did Mavka for the original Genesis and Lady Littlefox's star character which iirc was genesis 3.

• einervonviereinervonvier Posts: 5
    edited September 2022

I'm still stuck with Genesis 1. I never run out of characters because I use SimTenero 2's randomizer. It also works for younger generations. 

In conjunction with Dimension-Z's N.G.S. Anagenessis 2 - Revolution I also get good results in I-Ray.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,033

Griffin Avid said:

Who would buy a new-priced (even discounted) G3 or G2 figure that is no better than all the ones that are always on sale?

First off, I can have several G3 or G2 characters in a scene without encountering a memory problem. Not so with G8. Two or three is about my limit if I have a background scene loaded. Maybe four if no background is loaded.

Secondly, someone producing characters for G8 is competing with everyone else that is producing characters for G8. However, nobody (or almost nobody) is producing characters for  G3 & G2 so a new character has less competition.

Griffin Avid said:

And then I ask, has someone RUN OUT OF CHARACTERS - from those old libraries?

Like, I do comics, so it can get very taxing on resources if the habit is to use everything once.

Is that's what's been going on?

I also do comics. I try to create unique looking characters by blending multiple characters together. (33% head of character 'A', 50% head of character 'B', 33% head of character 'C', 66% body of character 'D', 25% body of character 'E', 33% body of character 'F', skin tone of character 'G' with a 50% overlay of skin tone from character 'H', etc.). These characters have become established and it would be nice to have some additional stuff for them.

• Drogo Nazhur said:

Griffin Avid said:

First off, I can have several G3 or G2 characters in a scene without encountering a memory problem. Not so with G8. Two or three is about my limit if I have a background scene loaded. Maybe four if no background is loaded.

Can you not render just the characters in the scene with everythign else hidden then render the scene and put them together in a composite? Sorry that's just me thinking outloud.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,066
    edited October 2022

You can do that provided you have the correct shadow catchers and creators in the scene too. Not always easy. For some reason it's rare for an image to look exactly the same when done that way. It can be done, just not really as easy as being able to render the whole scene at the same time.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on

inception8 said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

Griffin Avid said:

Can you not render just the characters in the scene with everythign else hidden then render the scene and put them together in a composite? Sorry that's just me thinking outloud.

I have done that but as was said above, the image doesn't always look right because of the lighting and the shadowing. 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

There are those other two sites that will will not be named. 

Osity and Hub.

Have you snatched characters from those sites too?

And, and, have you used FaceGen before - to roll your own characters.

That's a nice way to get other facial shapes.

And, and....and.....

What kind of comics do you make?

edited October 2022

Griffin Avid said:

There are those other two sites that will will not be named. 

Osity and Hub.

Have you snatched characters from those sites too?

And, and, have you used FaceGen before - to roll your own characters.

That's a nice way to get other facial shapes.

And, and....and.....

What kind of comics do you make?

Well, if you can't NAME "Osity and Hub", can you private message me with the links? I think that I know what you are referencing and if so, Hub is almost all G8 and Osity doesn't seem to offer many characters. They seem to be more into accessories such as clothing, hair, shaders, etc.

I don't have FaceGen but I do have Face Transfer Unlimited [ https://www.daz3d.com/face-transfer-unlimited ] which appears to do the same thing.

Oh, and with regards to what kind of comics do I do, this is what has been said about me and my comics : "... the author has a very distinct visual style and spins a good yarn with a unique blend of adventure, mystery and humor to create very entertaining tales that are fun and enjoyable to read ..." -- I invite you to check them out = https://theneverendingstory.thecomicseries.com/ and let me know what you think and if you like them, consider subscribing. Subscriptions are free and there is no spamming or sharing of your email address.

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on