Mac Catalina and later image import script?

KhoeKhoe Posts: 293
edited September 2022 in Carrara Discussion

Is it perhaps somehow possible to import texture images somehow by script. The problem is known that after Mojave it is no longer possible to import texture images since Quicktime is no longer supported as it is only available in 32-bit code. The way I then do it is that I create a tarp in Dazstudio and then paste the image there and then export to OBJ using Mat collect. then drag and drop to Carrara. My idea would be to script there, click the images, save with alpha, etc., and then have a tarp with a texture so you get there faster.
Of course, if I make more, I'll start through Parallels Mojave and do it there. It's slower there.
maybe you have an idea. there is obviously one or the other coder here.
Thanks in advance Klaus

Post edited by Khoe on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

I am not a Mac user.  Perhaps @TangoAlpha would know, but I don't think he checks in the forum much.  

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 293

Diomede said:

I am not a Mac user.  Perhaps @TangoAlpha would know, but I don't think he checks in the forum much.  

It could be possible that someone can do something like that. would be a great relief for some. The path via parallels and Mojave is still possible. 

• you might be able to  as Carrara files contain bitmaps if embedded and those can be switched out

some users have done so for thumbnails

a script is acrually available, the pro version of P3D0 explorer

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you might be able to  as Carrara files contain bitmaps if embedded and those can be switched out

Thanks, but the script is for PC only, not for Mac users. On the PC I can import everything. On the Mac from Catalina and newer just not anymore. I need to restart the system and work with the old operating system. I wanted to avoid that. Especially when I want to get something done quickly, maybe during the break.

• Khoe said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you might be able to  as Carrara files contain bitmaps if embedded and those can be switched out

Thanks, but the script is for PC only, not for Mac users. On the PC I can import everything. On the Mac from Catalina and newer just not anymore. I need to restart the system and work with the old operating system. I wanted to avoid that. Especially when I want to get something done quickly, maybe during the break.

you have something like notepad though that reads text files, Carrara files uncompressed are text files and you can see the bitmaps and change them to the text of another image map 

My way is at the moment: I created a layer and exported it to XXX.obj, there is also a file with the extension .mtl in which the embedded image names are in plain text. There I can then simply exchange the image names in an editor. Then just drag the .OBJ file onto the Cararra workspace, then everything is there now, just save or edit the layer's matte setting, then save the sheder with the internal image. Then you have the Sheder in the future. I thought as I was working that maybe you could automate that a bit.

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190

@Khoe I am a mac user, but i am still on High Sierra. So no problems for me with the openfiledialog.

I could develop a Python programm that you can start from the command line (aka the Terminal app)  But are you familiar with the Terminal and does Cataline still comes with Python installed?

The Python programm would take up to 11 texture images and create a shader with up to 11 channels set to Texture Map. The shader ( .cbr format )  can be placed in the browser-shaders tab.

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190
    edited October 2022

@Khoe and others on macOS Catalina and above. I've developed a stand-alone Python programm, called 'TextureMapShaderGenerator'. It will provide you with an alternative way to import image files ( to be used as texture maps in a shader ) into Carrara 8.5  Up to 11 files can be imported in the same time.

The programm can be downloaded at my SourceForge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-plug-ins-adventures/

PythonScreenSnapz003.png
    875 x 508 - 47K
    Post edited by RuudL on

Oh Great.
    Works fine :laugh
    Thank You very mutch