Animation Inspired by ... Igor Stravinsky?

Many classical music fans consider Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" (1913) the defining work of 20th century music, as Beethoven's Ninth Symphony was to the 19th century.  But most of us have only heard the "Rite" in concert form, i.e. the music only without the ballet for which it was written.  Not to worry, the French got the idea to show us the original choreography. This happened on May 29 2013, at the same theatre and exactly 100 years after its infamous premiere in which a riot erupted in the audience and people like Saint-Saëns, Debussy and Ravel were in attendance. Also, the costumes and backdrops are precise recreations of the original ones. Note: the first four minutes are an explanation of the project - in French.  The next four minutes are the instrumental introduction, with the ballet starting ~7:55.  (Don't expect many pirouettes, plies, etc.)

Then another group got the idea for an animation to tell the whole story of the work.

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    edited September 2022

Alright  then , first saw the Title and thought of  Igor Sikorsky( helicopters )  _  Thanx....   giggle

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks for posting this, @SteveK.  Enjoyed every minute of it, particularly the descriptions of the audience. 

audience and police arrests.jpg
    773 x 438 - 94K
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

Diomede said:

Thanks for posting this, @SteveK.  Enjoyed every minute of it, particularly the descriptions of the audience. 

You're quite welcome.  One story is that the Impressario (producer) of the ballet, Sergei Diaghilev, recruited a bunch of younger Bohemian types with free tickets and orders to applaud loudly in order to irritate the more conservative, wealthy folks in the expensive seats & boxes.  After the riot, he supposedly said "Exactly what I wanted".  Any press is good press.  devil

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

That was fun... and the animated film explained it all beautifully!  laugh  Silene

SileneUK said:

That was fun... and the animated film explained it all beautifully!  laugh  Silene

I'm glad you liked it, that whole story is a favorite of mine.  I've gotten to know a professor of music at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music.  He is also a composer, and has a very nice office at the very nice music school (now with a new opera theater).   He has one thing displayed prominently on a pedestal in his office - an open score of "Rite of Spring".

200807_Brockman Music and Performing Arts Center_Martin 118.jpeg
    1000 x 704 - 94K
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,403
    edited September 2022

Stravinsky was awesome! And his music has been highly influential. The animation is quite informative. I've listened to the music many times without knowing the background story. Thanks for that.

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited September 2022

Torquinox said:

Stravinsky was awesome! And his music has been highly influential. The animation is quite informative. I've listened to the music many times without knowing the background story. Thanks for that.

You're welcome.  I learned from some lectures that later on Stravinsky was inspired by Baroque music (Romantic not at all, I think),. Baroque is my first choice, especially J.S. Bach.  “The ‘Suite Italienne’ is a collection of themes from Stravinsky’s ballet 'Pulcinella,' which was inspired in part by Italian Baroque music … Stravinsky’s Concerto in E flat for 15 instruments — always known as ‘Dumbarton Oaks,’ after the Washington mansion where it was first performed in 1938 …  The model is Bach …  the brilliant opening, an obvious crib from the Third Brandenburg Concerto.”  (NYTimes, 4Aug2021)

Post edited by Steve K on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,403

Very interesting, Steve :)

Another take.

And yet another take:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I honestly cannot stand that piece no matter how beautiful a dance is done to it

I would need noise cancelling headphones to watch it blush

Skrillex is more soothing 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I honestly cannot stand that piece no matter how beautiful a dance is done to it

I would need noise cancelling headphones to watch it blush

Skrillex is more soothing 

laugh   Yes, the crowd at the 1913 premiere had many with that opinion. Which is why the story of the riot is so funny.