Carrara Challenge #18: Graphic Novel - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Yes, that has always been a fact with DAZ 3D forums,  Images only visible to signed in members. Old Old forum was like that.  Not sure about Old forum, as I rarely browse unlogged in.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited July 2015

Dwat!

Got so distracted this time 'round I totally forgot to even vote, let alone finish an entry...  crying

Well...  Congratulations to all participants!  A fine round of entries.

I'll to to be more involved next time.

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Thanks to anyone who voted for my entry, and to anyone who enjoyed Brash's first adventure, even if no vote.  I say first because I plan to continue to upgrade the figure's quality, including better topology, texture maps, hair, etc.  Don't be surprised if a couple of full Brash Lonergan (all rights reserved) stories pop up somewhere - although not quite in this form.  I vacationed through portions of the American west the last two years and so read some histories of the frontier.  In the pendulum swings of the cultural naratives we tell ourselves, I think some of the struggles of settlers that were once overemphasized by a previous generation may now be becoming forgotten.  The good is that we now tell the stories of others once ignored. The bad is that we forget some basic conflicts of custom, law, and the struggle to survive that tend to reappear from time to time.  A space marshall like Brash may be a vehicle to revive some older themes and synthesize them with current themes.  And, it should all be wrapped up in cheap cliches like cliffhangers, saloon folks with a heart of gold, and late arriving cavalry, because that is always fun.     Then again, I might be pipe dreaming just like my intent to write the Great American Novel  :>. 

Thank you Daz for continued sponsorship, and to Mark for hosting, and to Stezza, Shlomi, Bunyip, Ncamp, Chickenman, and Redhorse for participating.  These challenges have really given me the opportunity to explore features and try techniques that I would never have done on my own.  I appreciate it greatly.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2015

I sent a message to the winners, and a separate message to Stezza about hosting the next challenge, so please check your Inbox! laugh

If you haven't used the messaging system on the new forum yet, here's a couple tips:

1. To get to it click the gear icon in the upper right corner, under your username you should see "Inbox" with a number next to it.  The number is your unread messages, which is probably all of them if you haven't gone in there since the switch to the new forum and marked them all as read
    2. The new messaging system is more like a chat (or a private invite only thread) and not so much like an email, so if you Add a Message to the bottom of it, everyone included can see it, you can't just hit reply and then edit who the reply goes to
    3. So if you want to reply to my message directly without the other winners seeing it, you need to go Gear Icon->Inbox->New Message and type my username (MDO2010) in the Recipients box
    4. There is no "subject" line for these messages, but you do see the first line of each message in your inbox, so I have just been putting whatever I would have used as the subject on the first line so people can tell at a glance what a new conversation is about 

Winners - please let me know if you don't see the message or can't find it.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited July 2015

Congratulations! Stezza, redhorse, diomede, ncamp. It was fun to see the different ways Mark's theme was interpreted by all. I definitely wanted to read on.

Many thanks to DAZ3D for generously supporting these challenges.

Mark, thanks for the great theme and hosting! Non-photorealistic rendering is pretty awesome. I love learning new things I can do with Carrara.

Diomede, that was excellent graphic story-telling. Please make more Brash Lonergan! Don't leave us hangin'.

Post edited by sukyL on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Sorry I forgot to vote! :(

Congratulations to all the winners! I can't wait to see what the theme is.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Congrats to all winners well done.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929
    edited July 2015

wonderbah!!

really enjoyed going through the entries, :)

congrats to the winners, and to everyone who contributed to the challenge

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

thanks everyone... those that voted & those that entered..

great work..

Unfortunately we've had a sudden death in the family last night and I won't be able to host the next challenge... busy digging holes and whatever....

so, if anyone would like to take over for the next challenge please do.. and if you can post here so as if possible MDO2010 can pass on the relevent info to you it would be appreciated..

Thanks again.. also I don't know when I'll be able to pick any prizes so on that premis I would like to withdraw my entry so everyone can come up one in the rankings..

sorry to be a pain but unfortunately death waits for no one... and I won't be able to give any time at all this month..

thanks again for your understanding.. congrats all yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929

Stezza, sorry to hear of your loss, :( stay well.

Stezza, Condolences.  Thoughts are with you and your family. 

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

My condolances Stezza,

@Stezza My condolences on your loss.

edited July 2015

Two pieces of business with Stezza withdrawing his entry:

#1 The revised list of winners:

1st Place redhorse Archangel Chronicles: The Amalgamation Wars

2nd Place diomede Brash Lonergan:Interstellar Marshall

3rd Place ncamp New Career

and moving up into the Honorable Mention position is chickenman with Chickenman Jousts

@chickenman - I added you to the conversation with the notes on prizes but I'm not sure how that works exactly, so if you can't see earlier parts of the thread or it didn't appear in your Inbox, please let me know.

#2 We now need a challenge host of the next challenge.  If anyone is interested, please let me know either here or by site messaging.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

Congratulations to the winners, and everyone who participated! I was in full lurk mode on this challenge, but really enjoyed all the wips and entries.

Also, a big Thank You to MDO2010 for running an interesting and great challenge!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Well done everyone, and condolences to you, Stezza.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    My heartfelt condolences to you Stezza!
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

Condolences Stezza, hope things go well for you in the coming days (at least as well as can be expected).

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813

Oh cwap. Stezza.

I just saw this now...

I know what you are going through and am exhausting myself helping my wife fight off a life threatening illness these days too.  I'm only in here when she's sleeping and I'm waiting to be there when she wakes up.

There are no words for times like these...

I just hope you get through it OK and with minimal stress.

Good luck and take care of family.  This place will be here when you are ready.

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251

Stezza, so sorry for your loss. 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,807

Stezza, my condolences, and take the time you need.

Carrara will still be here when you get back.

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited July 2015

Stezza, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  I'm also sorry to see you withdraw your winning entry.  It was fantastic and gives me something to aspire to!  I hope to see more like it someday.

Thanks to everyone who voted.  I'm sorry I disappeared for a bit here at the end of the contest, but real life dragged me away for a bit.

It was a pleasant surprise to place second.  This was my first serious forray into the world of graphic novels.  One of these days I'll get around to putting the whole thing together.

Thanks MDO2010 for putting this together!

Post edited by redhorse on
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190

Nice work everyone!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Real life intruded on me and I never got my entry together, in fact I never even got on here in time to vote, but I wanted to congratulate the winners and really everyone who participated on a great contest, excellent work!

Also wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your loss Stezza.  Our prayers are with you and your family.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

congrats to the challenge winners..

and thanks for all your thoughts & wishes... all good as can be during this time yes

• Condolences Stezza. You've always been a winner!

• DUDU said:
    Chohole said:

Just clicking on the thumbs should open up a full size view.   They all work for me

That works only if you sign in... 

Oh thanks, didn't know about the signing in part. Still prefer the old way we had a decent preview in the forum without having to click (so you only click if you want to see it in greater detail which is often hardly necessary), but oh well......Congratulations again to all participants, and to me, for finally being able to view the entries properly! wink

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited August 2015

so whos the challenge host of the next challenge

and when does it start ?

Post edited by bigh on
    bigh said:

and when does it start ?

It looks like @diomede and @ncamp are going to share the duties and co-host the next challenge.  Details to come soon, for certain values of "soon."wink

"certain values of soon" excludes the range often called Daz Sooncheeky

MDO2010 said:
    bigh said:

and when does it start ?

It looks like @diomede and @ncamp are going to share the duties and co-host the next challenge.  Details to come soon, for certain values of "soon."wink