OT - Does anyone have a model of a bikini machine? - Now You Do

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

Argh... watch the one on Amazon. Better

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

The opening credits of the Dr Goldfoot movie are an animation.  Could definitely do in Carrara.  Might even dust off the metaball modeler

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Diomede said:

Queen of Outer Space

This 1958 gem goes all the way into the future - 1985

And it has a beta disintegrator

ha ha yes, those beta males will soon be a thing of the past 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

Diomede said:

The opening credits of the Dr Goldfoot movie are an animation.  Could definitely do in Carrara.  Might even dust off the metaball modeler

Amazing what they did, and how they had to do it back then! I'm into watching some of the old (OLD) docs on their mind-blowing techniques. First motion capture for films... when do you think that was?

Metaballs! Amazing tool! I was upset back in the day, when people were dissing Carrara because it didn't even have a fluid simulator (this was before Fluidos). Before anyone made a stink, I was always just planning on making animated textures in Howler. But then I remembered that incredibly populated browser that Carrara comes with, and loaded in some particle simulation presets just to try particles for the first time in my life.

At least one of them was a decent water flow. I think it might have been a water fountain? Don't remember. But it used Metaballs as the particles. I made some terrain for it and changed the emitter to become the top of a waterfall instead of whatever it was, and rendered the result. It blew my mind! Watching how those metaballs affect one another was the craziest thing - and it made for some really decent looking water! I used the excellent water shaders from the browser and I had a cool waterfall in my cave! 

Answer to the question above:

1910. The first motion capture for film was done by hand in 1910! They called it Rotoscoping. Rotoscoping nowadays is mostly used for making animated selections. I love doing it, whereas most people really don't. Too tedious. I cut my teeth on it in Howler. Loved it. I had windy Carrara trees and some of the trunks disappeared on some frames. Rather than guess that it might work for a second runthrough, I rotoscoped the trunks in question, took a screen grab of one of the trunks and used that to fill the rotoscoped selection. It was really fun and even more satisfying! 

Since I started messing with the Fusion within DaVinci Resolve, I found myself doing it in that too. Yup... still fun, still very satisfying!

The 1927 version of Metropolis becomes public domain in 2023, at least under US law.  Not sure which countries have signed on to harmonized rights treaties, but I hope it is pretty general.  This vintage transformation machine was much more cool than Vincent Price's bikini machine.  Enjoy one of the scenes that made me fall in love with many of the old silent films.

Official trailer for 'Abbott and Costello Go to Mars.'

I just saw this movie.  Not one of the boys' best, but it has its moments.  Abbott and Costello do not go to Mars; instead, they are diverted to Venus where a world of beautiful human females lives without men - hello Zsa Zsa's movie Queen of Outer Space.  But first they go to New Orleans for Mardis Gras, where they mistakenly think they are on Mars.  Enjoy the trailer.