Question about licenses

DreamGamesDreamGames Posts: 39
edited October 2022 in Art Studio

Hello everyone! :) I don't know if I'm writing in the right section, and if I'm not, I apologize. I'm quite interested in "Visual Novel" games and just for fun I might like to try to create something. To be honest, I have no experience with such things, I've never done anything like that, but it's quite interesting for me. Of course, I'm not interested in becoming any famous game publisher haha, I'm just trying it all in my free time because I like to learn new things and I've started to enjoy it.

So my question to you more experienced people is.... Do I need an "Interactive License" if I want to use the product in my game, maybe publish the game in the future but never become a product that I would sell? This means that the game would be a "free download". I have absolutely no experience with these things so I apologize for such questions but causing myself a problem is the last thing I need. That's why I'd rather be informed before I start doing something. To clarify, I'm not interested in the characters. It concerns purely classic things such as clothes, environment and similar things.

Thank you for every answer and I wish everyone good luck ♥

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,110
    edited October 2022

Moved to Art Studio as it is a licensing question, not a question about Daz Studio itself.

If the game is to be distributed then you need the relevant licenses - free or not is beside the point. Fortunately, if your visual novel is like most then all you will be sharing are images or possibly 2D animations: using either of those is covered by the base licenses granted with purchase, you would not ned to purchase an Interactive License. If the game does include 3D data then it would need an Interactive License, assuming it met the terms for that.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DreamGamesDreamGames Posts: 39
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Moved to Art Studio as it is a licensing question, not a question about Daz Studio itself.

If the game is to be distributed then you need the relevant licenses - free or not is beside the point. Fortunately, if your visual novel is like most then all you will be sharing are images or possibly 2D animations: using either of those is covered by the base licenses granted with purchase, you would not ned to purchase an Interactive License. If the game does include 3D data then it would need an Interactive License, assuming it met the terms for that.

Okay, so if my game will only contain some character and somewhere in the background there is, for example, an apartment that I bought on this site, then I just need the basic license that I get when I buy it. I understand it correctly?

And in the case of some 3D animations / videos or I don't know what else exists, then I would need the "Interactive License".

If that's the case, then I understood it correctly. Anyway, thanks for your time and explanation

(mod deleted duplicate post)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • It doesn't matter what they are or where in the scenme, all that matters (with a few exceptions, such as Flipped Normals content or the old Anne Marie Goddard Digital Clone for Victoria 3) is whether they are 2D renders (single images or animations) or actual 3D data rendered on the machine playing the game.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,380

Visual Novels are games but they generally only use 2D renders and animations.  If thats the case for your visual novel, then you do not need an interactive license addon,  the standard license covers 2D renders and animations.

BUT   Interactive licenses are required if you are distributing the actual 3D meshes purchased here at Daz in your 3D game. 

So clarify exactly your intended use to know which license is necessary.  2D renders and animation  or 3D interactive models included in a 3D game.engine. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,534
    edited October 2022

FirstBastion said:

Visual Novels are games but they generally only use 2D renders and animations.  If thats the case for your visual novel, then you do not need an interactive license addon,  the standard license covers 2D renders and animations.

BUT   Interactive licenses are required if you are distributing the actual 3D meshes purchased here at Daz in your 3D game. 

So clarify exactly your intended use to know which license is necessary.  2D renders and animation  or 3D interactive models included in a 3D game.engine. 

Important part emphasized, "Your 3D game" = A 3D game that one has made oneself, and which uses the 3D assets (actual 3D meshes of items, characters, architecture) bought from DAZ store. The interactive license also requires one to make sure the users of the game can not extract the 3D assets out of the game.

Making characters/mods to games one has not created by oneself and distributing them is not allowed/covered by the interactive license

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

PerttiA said:

Important part emphasized, "Your 3D game" = A 3D game that one has made oneself, and which uses the 3D assets

And if you're unclear what that means - you are NOT allowed to use DAZ assets to create mods and addons for pre-existing games. At all. It only allows you to use them in a game that actually originates with you.