It's Halloween!

NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,809
edited October 2022 in Bryce Discussion

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/bd/a695e7fffb41c09045ae1068c6977f.jpg

Post old or new Halloween images.  I'm not sure if the USA is the only country that celebrates this but what can be more fun than getting a free bag of candy while you're scared out of your shoes.

This is an old one that I used as a promo image at RDNA.  Happy Halloween!

If anyone wants to remind me how to attach the images full size, that would be cool.  When I try it wants an URL.

halloween.jpg
1250 x 1000 - 154K
Post edited by NGartplay on

Comments

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,809
    edited October 2022
    demon-cemetary.jpg
    768 x 757 - 73K
    Post edited by NGartplay on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111

NGartplay - two nicely done images.
    About your question: I think there is an easier way to do it but I do it this way.
    1. Once your comment with the attached images is saved, click on the image to open it.
    2. Copy the link (URL) shown in the browser window on top (select it and CTRL-C)
    3. Click and hold the cogwheel on top right of your comment, click on Edit.
    4. At the end of the text, create a new line where the picture has to appear.
    5. Click on the image thumbnail on the very top row to open the Image Properties window.
    6. Copy (CTRL-V) the link into the URL field.
    7. Add an alternate text, e.g. image name or whatever.
    8. The image size is shown in the fields Width and Height.
    9. IMPORTANT: if the Width is wider than 800, enter 800, the Height is adjusted automatically to retain the aspect ratio. If you do not adjust Width, the image will be scaled to 800 px wide but NOT the height, so the aspect ratio appears completely wrong.
    10. Click on the Link tab on top of the Image Properties window and enter the URL again (CTRL-V).
    11. Set Target from the drop down list, I find New Window being the best, I use it.
    12. OK to close the Image Properties window.
    13. Click on SAVE COMMENT.
    I hope it helps. All this is done within a few seconds.

Thank you Horo.  The first image I only did 1 through 9.  The second image I finished with 10 through 13.  It now has the URL visible along the top of the comment.  Is it supposed to do that?

Good work. Now if I click on the 1st image, it is displayed in full in the same browser window, overwriting the the page. To go back to the comment page, I have to use the back button on the browser.
    The second one is not shown in full size when clicked on it, but it does open a new window with the full size image when I click on the link. Something is amiss, there should be no written link.
    On either image, when I click on the thumbnail below, a new window opens and shows the image in full size. This is the normal behavior.

Ugh, I'll play with it some more.  I might have messed it up too much already.  The second image is small.  It's under the 800 width.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,096

NGartplay : two excellent images.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

NGArtplay, Fantastic renders. I prefer the demon render, very moody. Halloween gets more interest these days in my country too, but largely due to commercial interests. I'm not such a fan of commercial 'traditions' that never were. And we traditionally have Saint Maarten on the 11th of November and Saint Nicholas on the 5th of December. On Saint Maarten the children go from door to door to collect sweets, singing songs about Saint Maarten and Saint Nicholas is the original figure that became Santa Claus. So, for me Halloween is not so relevant.

Thank you adbc and Hansmar.

Hansmar, could you post a Saint Maarten image here?  I'd love to see how it's celebrated.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Oh, I never made a Saint Maarten image. It involves children with lampions going from door to door singing a song (they usually know only one and I also do not know very many). The people at home have sweets or e.g. mandarins at the ready and after the singing the children can get one. I'll give it a thought. 

Saint Maarten was a soldier in the Roman army that gave half of his coat to a beggar. When he saw a vision of Christ in half coat, he decided to leave the army and became a monk.

Love the story Hansmar.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited October 2022

Grim at the carnival...I was looking for the RDNA macabre circus stuff they did for halloween iirc but it looks like I may have lost it with the hard drive failure. He's wearing M4's Regency outfit. 

grim at the carnival.png
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Pendraia on

Oh Pendraia, that is fabulous.  I love the character that you used.  He's creepy and the circus setting is just perfect for him.  Well done.

Pendraia : I agree with NGartplay, very cool !

Yup, very cool render Pandraia.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

NGartplay: A cool thread and two great spooky images!

Pendraia: A very creepy character! Great composition and render.

Hey, thanks Hubert.  Would love to see your abstract version of Halloween ;)

edited October 2022

Hi NGartplay,

like Hansmar, I too don't like commercially pushed 'traditions' that have no local historic background (in my case here at Germany). Thus, I try to ignore Halloween. Nevertheless I hand out according candy!!  .... Though with a very apt for this occasion "ghost pepper" cream filling. -- Oh, don't worry about the affected kids! I obtained an extended liability insurance and Germany still runs a very effective health care system.

So, I didn't create many *Halloween* related images in the past. (And only very few of these in *abstract* style, which do not meet my current standard.)

In the days of yore at 3DCommune, I became (in)famous there not only for my unusual abstract use of Bryce (teasingly named "Hubism" style) but also for what we then called "Woody" images (with the Poser3 mannequin figure, which allowed very simplified and non-realistic scenes). -- My alter ego "Uncle Herby" put Woody into many zany, bizarre, sometimes risky and often (presumed funny) weird situations. Woody experienced a great time at 3DCommune with numerous contributing members. After some time even with his own dedicated Gallery section and occasional "Woodymania" periods! After the 3DCommune site was surprisingly shut down and most us older members never meeting again elsewhere... I discontinued doing (often time consuming) Woody scenes.

Well, here is one of my few Halloween images (once posted in 2012 at 3DCommune):

Happy "Hallowhen" (2012)

Happy Hallowhen?!
        This year, Uncle Herby's special calendar will keep Woody out of Halloween trouble..... at least until October 39th!

-------------
        - Bryce4 scene and render.
        - Candy mesh and texture are from Hawkfyr ("3DCommune" member).
        - Calendar (half a book mesh) and pumpkin were exported from RayDreamStudio model library. (Tweaked and re-textured in Bryce.)
        - PhotoImpact for adding text in bitmap textures.

Yours (un)truly
    Hubert

Post edited by hubert on

Hubert - I like this render, it is really cute.
    Like in Germany, also here in Switzerland and particularly in the French part, where I live now (well, the language border is 9 km to the west) Halloween is not a tradition - except commercial, but it also died down quite a bit. In my first thirty years of life, I never heard of Halloween.

Lol Hubert, I remember Hubisms :)  You and Frogdot did some of my favorite art at the time.  I was Burpee and did the newspaper with Bea and Anya for a bit.  I won Poser 6 there with a Bryce image.  So sad how 3DCommune ended.

Oh, and I love the Woody holiday image.  Woody took a lot of damage over the years, lol.

hubert : what a great Halloween picture, Woody is still alive !

edited October 2022

NGartplay:
    Many thanks for the kudos and for triggering memories. -- Frogdot (Dave) was one of my top favorites there too, among many others. I admired his sense of humor, his endless creativity and Bryce skills. -- Without all that mutual inspiration and the online friends which I met at 3DCommune, most of my images would not exist!

>  "Lol Hubert, I remember Hubisms"
    And I remember a certain Burpee. (I must still have some of your 3DCommune Gallery images filed on my oldest harddisks.) -- Btw: All kudos for the coinage of the expression "Hubism" go to 3DCommunist "Pinhead".  ;)

adbc:
    > Woody took a lot of damage over the years, lol.
    Impossible! Nah, never, nada, zilch!!
    Btw: Woody is tougher than Chuck Norris. Whereas both "actors" share the same set of facial expressions. ;)

To all:
    I'll rummage my harddisks for another old Bryce "Woody Halloween" scene. To  render it anew in larger image size and to post it here asap.

Hubert

Post edited by hubert on

quote:  Btw: Woody is tougher than Chuck Norris. Whereas both "actors" share the same set of facial expressions. ;)

Lol, made me laugh out loud :)

I should have said that Woody went through some tough situations.  He as always being tested by critters  or cliffs or ocean waters.  Amazing that he's till around.

PS - I must have 300 discs with all my old images and info on them.  When I copied them (no external hard drive at that point) I never thought about having to search through them again...ugh.

edited October 2022

1 terrain, moon gate from daz (removed the gate), cheshire cat (free from the net), sphere with fire material, an HDRI sky.

Cheshire cat.jpg
    854 x 712 - 164K
    Post edited by adbc on

adbc - looks great, the cat frightens me a bit laugh

Oh my gosh, adbc!  That's awesome.  Love the creepy critters.  Well done.

Horo, NGartplay : thank you.

adbc: Well put into scene! -- Here kitty, kitty.... here kitty... OUCH!!   ;)

hubert : thank you.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    Nice renders by NGartplay and Adbc

mermaid : thank you.