Lighting and Atmosphere

NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805
edited October 2022 in Bryce Discussion

I'm very interested to hear how you lit your scenes.  I've forgotten most of what I knew about it so maybe I'll remember something hearing how you did it.

The image that I'm posting is very old and was made around the time that I learned about half dome lighting.  The dome is made up of radial lights and your subject is placed inside the dome.  I used the dome so often that I saved a Bryce object of it.

Rusty Paws (could also call it Conundrum)

metal-cat-fish.jpg
1140 x 867 - 85K
Post edited by NGartplay on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,105

NGartplay - very nice how the cat watches the fish.
    How I light a scene? Well, we could go on for hours but in a nutshell:
    Before Bryce 7, I also used a half dome of radials or rings of radials. With Bryce 7 came Dome and Fill lights that replace the elaborate radial setups. We also got true parallel lights and a distant light that can be used as a sun. We also got IBL (since Bryce 6) and an HDRI can be used as a dome light. A dome light is always single colour, a HDRI can have many colours shining from different sides. We also got True Ambience that really works (the one in Bryce 5 and 6 was not very good). Meanwhile, we have many different and very powerful means to light a scene. There is no best method, but maybe one that is best suitable for a particular scene.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805

Thanks Horo.  I was spending a lot of time learning the lighting before I left Bryce a few years ago.  Now I have to learn it all over again.  I have never had good success with spot lights and I don't know what parallel lights are.  Didn't even know there was a dome light in Bryce.  To me, lighting is the most important factor in a scene.

I'm going to have to start learning it all over again.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754

NGArtplay. Very nice old render. I use various ways of lighting, dependent on what I want to achieve and what works for the render I want to make. I regularly use IBL or distant lights to lighten too dark parts of the render (shadows), but also dedicated spotlights (to provide light on specific elements I find too dark otherwise. Sometimes I use dome lights for e.g. insides of buildings. I have hardly ever used parallel lights.

• Horo said:

NGartplay - very nice how the cat watches the fish.

I observe the fish is also watching the cat. Everyone seems to know what's up!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981
    NGArtplay very nicely lit scene. There are some awesome videos by David at Bryce.info
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

NGartplay : I love that cat's look at the frightened fish, great lighting.

• huberthubert Posts: 410
    edited October 2022

NGartplay : Wonderfully done! Great expressions and wonderful lighting.

Post edited by hubert on
  • NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805

Thank you everyone for the compliments...too kind.  I will be looking at tutorials and links.  I'm off for a wedding in Colorado soon, so afterwards and it's a long winter.

Rashad, the fish's look at the cat always makes me smile.