OT: Siggraph 2015 Next Month in Los Angeles.

The biggest computer graphics event is coming to Los Angeles next month.

Here some video clips.

https://youtu.be/9cCm6pHDkl0

https://youtu.be/UH-mdAdT1BI

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

Daz will be there with Daz Studio I be thinking .

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

DAZ isn't listed from what I can see. Not real surprising though, since they're kinda moving out the 3D app business.

interestingly, Reallusion is there....

• DAZ 3D is not attending. To setup a both at Siggraph is very expensive and it doesn't really generate many sales.

I am attending to the exhibits to check out upcoming new technology and see other 3D applications.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Do keep us posted Ringo.  I went to a Siggraph about 8 years ago... man there was stuff there that never made it to market.  Agreed, some was humdrum ... but some was very cutting edge. Pretty interesting

- Don

Yeah, really the core purpose of SIGGRAPH is a technical/engineering focus for computer graphics. Like I say, it's where researchers present papers about computer graphics related stuff. The exhibits aren't reallly the main focus or purpose. But cool nonetheless. I've been attending forever. Can't stay away this year since it's close to home.

• DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114

Hi,

Although DAZ won't have a booth at Siggraph 2015, we have been invited by NVIDIA to give a talk on sunday and a 30 minute booth demo on tuesday.

You can find more info here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/siggraph2015-best-gtc.html

Hope to see you there!

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190

@Daz_ Vince, Good to know that a DAZ rep will be there. OT question, any bridges between DAZ Studio and other software beign considered - a la Vue, Poser, C4D? Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

When Ringo and I were demonstrating Carrara for DAZ a few years ago at SIGGRAPH, you wouldn't believe how many pros were jazzed by how easy it was to animate in Carrara. Good memories of that...  Studio is pretty easy to animate in too you know. :-D 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    ....But Carrara is better. ;-P
  • Great news.  I did found yesterday that DAZ will be in the NVidia booth. I will be at Siggraph and going to pay them a visit.

An interesting tidbit I learned at Siggraph (which, BTW, came to an end today in LA)...

I readily admit I am totally clueless when it comes to gaming and related development apps. But some buddies were explaining to me about some stuff about gaming over some beers, and apparently one of the big name game development apps called "Unreal Engine" recently (late last year?) became a free app to anyone who wants it. Kind of like what DAZ did to D|S.

Now for those like me who are clueless about gaming dev apps, for me they are like taking the core functions of Carrara or D|S (rendering engine, animation, etc.) and making all of that stuff accessible to game developers so they can make their own games by adding their own characters, environments, etc. And much of the code of these gaming apps is some seriously cutting edge stuff, trying to get realtime feedback and realism at the same time.

So this Unreal Engine became a free app. Now why would they do that? Well, the catch is that if you develop a game with this free app you have to pay royalites to the company for any sales you get from those games. I think it's around 5% royalties. And what I found even more interesting is that theses guys even have a "marketplace" where they sell content. Kinda like DAZ.

Interesting. smiley

Oh, and even more interesting...we went to this club last night in Gardena, and it was insane.....oh, wait...nevermind...different subject.. smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for the notification, Joe.  Some interesting capabilities that are worth following up on.  I notice that Unreal engine is not an all-in-one app like Carrara.  But for those that model in another program anyway and just use Carrara for animation rather than stills, definitely worth exploring.  For example, static meshes and skeletal meshes are intended to be made externally.  They have a nice list of what functions would be done with unreal engine and what functions would be done externally on their web page.

"Editor-Created Content Vs. Imported Content

Not all of the content you need for your game is intended to be created within the Editor. Most of your artistic assets will be created externally, using such tools as 3ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, and others. Below is a very general breakdown of the types of assets that will be created in the Editor versus those that will be created externally."

Asset Creation Locations

Created in Unreal Editor

Created Using External Application

• Game Levels

• Materials

• Particle Systems

• Cinematic Sequences

• Blueprint Scripts

• AI Navigation Meshes

• Precalculated Light Maps

• Level Lights

• Static Meshes

• Skeletal Meshes

• Skeletal Animation

• Textures

• Sounds (WAVs)

• IES Light Profiles

• Nvidia APEX files (APB and APX)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Yeah, have been planning to write a forum post about this, but have not found the time.

Looks like the game engines like Unreal 4 have come so far, that most 3D apps (Carrara or Maya) becomes outdated since you get high quality rendering like GI in real time, for free.

So maybe the "old 3D apps" becomes modelers for the free but advanced game engines is the near future...

Here are some interior scenes with realtime GI, both video and downloadable "free game" to run on your PC:

3drendero said:
    So maybe the "old 3D apps" becomes modelers for the free but advanced game engines is the near future...

But there is a critical difference between the two types of apps, and that is "purpose". Game engines and what you call "old 3D apps" serve very different purposes, and therefore are designed differently. They share technologies and perform some similar functions, but their ultimate purposes are quite different.

Game engines are for guys sitting at their computers with a joystick and doing shoot-em-up in realtime, and apps like Maya are for teams of artists and professionals collaborating on a feature film.

Maybe someday it will all merge together somehow, but for now I think they will still be two very different markets.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

True, for 100M$ movie projects I assume there are good and integrated tools for 3D, compositing and storage.

But for 100k$ projects, one more option is now available and you can do the movie and game assets at once...

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

This was discussed in another thread, and as I recall the big issue, asside from the "where stuff gets modeled", is the hard memory limits imposed by your graphics card, since everything's gotta fit in it, and not sure about traditional animation: staging and recording animations, camera and motion paths and all that, or generating multi-pass layers. 

The real time rendering is certainly amazing.

- Don