Bringing a Shape from G8 over to G9 - Tutorial

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,023
edited October 2022 in Freebies

Yes it's possible to bring a shape from G8 over to G9. There are several approaches, my tutorial covers the method of making a clothing mesh from G9's mesh.

So far the images cover porting over just one major character shape [nice big Gorilla].  So far I have not touched on the how-to for making additional morphs to replace the generated morphs for all the geografts. That would be pretty much the same as one does when making new pJCMs for clothing, but this time replacing the generated shape morph.

Images are presently in the editing basket  .pdf is now in the prrrof reading bsket ;-)  Now uploaded to Renderosity

Making a Clone n Shape G9.png
773 x 1000 - 1M
Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• Bookmarked. Thanks.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,023
    edited October 2022

You're quite welcome.

For those seriously not into using a modeller, one can export .obj files from D/S [no groups], rename them if/when necessary, and then import them back into D/S via the Morph Loader Pro [if making morphs].

ALSO -- this is so neat -- making "clothing" out of any of the Genesis clan members, shaped how you please [this has nothing to do with this tutorial per sa] ... and they will load FAST, like under 2 seconds maybe ... give them "actor" bones ... and then these can be posed too.

fast loading actors.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Excellent-thanks!

• You're very welcome, enjoy :-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you!

• You're very welcome Kerya, enjoy :-)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168

Thank you for doing this. yes
    I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but when I have a spare couple of hours....

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited October 2022

Christian (nor me) can believe he made it all the way to G9 - and what's more, he got a little younger ;). Hallelujah. LOL

Thanks for the tutorial :D

Christian G9.jpg
    733 x 885 - 79K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

Christian (nor me) can believe he made it all the way to G9 - and what's more, he got a little younger ;). Hallelujah. LOL

Thanks for the tutorial :D

Awesome! Now to find a way to make that work on our aging bodies lol ...

One quick question...does anyone know how to fix the eyes and inner mouth so that it moves correctly with the figure shape? I did adjust the rigging to shape, but the eyeballs and teeth are separate now, so I'm really lost.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

AllenArt said:

One quick question...does anyone know how to fix the eyes and inner mouth so that it moves correctly with the figure shape? I did adjust the rigging to shape, but the eyeballs and teeth are separate now, so I'm really lost.

Happened to me too & I couldn't figure out how I did it or how to recover the scene.

• I think somebody said we have to select the eyes and look for some placement dials.

For extreme characters I expect that one would have to make morphs to move them as well - possibly naming them the same as the generated morphs so that in the future, when dialing in the new shape, the mouth, teeth, etc. will all be rearranged properly too.

edited October 2022

Ok, I think I **almost** got it, except when the eye looks down, the eyeball rotates up and vice versa...the eyes pretty much rotate opposite to what the controls for the eyes do. LOL At least they stay in the right place tho ;)

I wish I knew how to fix this, but I don't. Good grief...

• I haven't been working with the eyes so have no other ideas which might help. I am thinking though that if in making face morphs for G9 the eyes and mouth aren't easy to be agreeable, that will put a dip in the number of good character morphs going forward. So hopefully we find a way.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks for the tutorial!

Eyes are definitely a problem.  I converted Torment for 8.1.  If you look closely you can see they are to far forward.  This are unposed.  G9 on left 8.1 on right, I used V9 skin.

Torment.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 723K
  • A lot of work went into making G9 more realistic shape wise [so I seem to recall reading somewhere] so it would make sense that it's eyes are not starting at the same place those of G8, etc. do. But whether the end result would be better to move the eyes, or adjust the character to go with the eyes, would take a little work.

edited October 2022

This was the best I was able to do with Christian on G9. I managed to get the eyes in the right place and they work, but if I save as a character, the slider is not set when I reload. I just move the slider to 100% and his eyes are fine again. It does stick if I save him as a subset tho. Don't ask me how I did it, because I'm not really sure. LOLOL

Christian G9 G2 Outfit.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 1M
  • AllenArt said:

This was the best I was able to do with Christian on G9. I managed to get the eyes in the right place and they work, but if I save as a character, the slider is not set when I reload. I just move the slider to 100% and his eyes are fine again. It does stick if I save him as a subset tho. Don't ask me how I did it, because I'm not really sure. LOLOL

Glad something works there. After I've finished a tutorial I'm half way through I plan to check some ideas I have about these eyes and mouth.

I guess transferring a shape from G2M can't be done. Every time I try to move the arms the shoulders are a screwed up mess. Anyone else?

• I haven't tried yet -- but it might be a case of doing it one generation at a time. i.e. not from 2 to 9, but 2 to 3as9.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    I have been transferring G8 characters to G9, but I solve the problem with rigging by using Zev0's Shape Rigger Plus. Although it doesn't support G9 [yet], it still tries to rig it and all the shapes I've used worked well.
  • And the WP Guru has joined the bandwagon lol ...

https://youtu.be/jROlY34tNNU

MimicMolly said:

I have been transferring G8 characters to G9, but I solve the problem with rigging by using Zev0's Shape Rigger Plus. Although it doesn't support G9 [yet], it still tries to rig it and all the shapes I've used worked well.

Does it work with G9???! laugh 

edited October 2022

Raw's Innis, looking fishier than ever. LOL laugh

Innis 02.jpg
    923 x 1500 - 1M
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,023
    edited October 2022

Fixing the Eyes for morphs in G9, Canary3D to the rescue laugh

https://youtu.be/7wR_nQVFJ2Q

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited October 2022

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I'm really impressed at how well this worked for bringing over one of my main character's head morphs. He's gonna have to wait on HD detail, but the main thing missing is aging and I never would have gotten this close trying to recreate him.  

BenedictG9.png
    2000 x 1573 - 2M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • plasma_ring said:

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I'm really impressed at how well this worked for bringing over one of my main character's head morphs. He's gonna have to wait on HD detail, but the main thing missing is aging and I never would have gotten this close trying to recreate him.  

You're welcome, nice job! I'm quite sure aging morphs, muscle morphs, etc. will appear over time. 

• How would you you do cross gender morph transfer?

• G8 male to g9 with say bosoms? For female version of male only g8 characters?

• AllenArt said:

Raw's Innis, looking fishier than ever. LOL laugh

Thank you. This image has helped me decide which morphs to be making next ;-)